Pump next step

Hi everyone, Im a new member and am currently carb counting for the next few weeks before the pump. Im for some reason petrified of the pump, I hate needles and have enough trouble giving myself the 4 I have a day now and am worried about the needles for the pump. Are they bigger ?? Can you let me know of the positives you have got from the pump and in particular, ladies with small children, where do you wear it and have you ever had mishaps with the children ? I have 3yr twins and worried about catching. OH GOD WHAT AM I IN FOR ?? Need some confidence boosting…

Thanks in advance…

I just got a Minimed Revel and love it. It’s very small and I’m usually able to tuck it away somewhere discrete (i.e., down my bra, in the waistband of my pants, pocket, etc). The tubing can get caught on things but only if you forget to roll it up and stuff it down somewhere. They have different lengths of tubing that you can try.

Thus far, the biggest positive I’ve found is that the pump lets me control my insulin dosage much more accurately. With pens, I was only able to give myself whole units. With the pump, I can give myself as little as 0.025 units in a single dose. From a control perspective, that is amazing. Also, the bolus wizard is really nice and I’ve just found the whole process of getting on the pump to make me more informed about diabetes in general (i.e., why my body reacts to certain situations in certain ways).

As for the needle, there is an introducer needle that puts the canula into your body, but with most infusion sets, you don’t even see that. I am using the Mio infusion set and love it. It’s proven to be fairly durable thus far (and I’m very active) and is easy and painless to insert. The whole set is also contained nicely in a little plastic inserter, so it’s great for travel/on the go.

Thank you everyone, its a bit more re-assuring, just fear of the unknown I suppose…