Question about the pump

I AM CONSIDERING GETTING A PUMP…BUT I AM AFRAID IT WILL MAKE MY TUMMY NOT LOOK SO FLAT ANYMORE…ALSO DOES IT REQUIRE ALOT OF MAITENINCE AND DOES IT INTERFER WITH A BUSY LIFESTYLE??

I KNO THE FLAT TUMMY THING SOUNDS SILLY…BUT I REALLY DONT WANT MY TUMMY 2 BE BRUISED N LUMPY LOL :wink:

You shouldn’t have any issues with bumps, unless you get keloids. But the shots would end up being just as lumpy. I change my infusion set every 3-4 days, so that would be a good 10-13 shots, instead of just one poke for the infusion set. Lower ratio.

You can put it in other areas too, something you’d need to experiment with after you get a pump.

I’ve been on a Minimed nearly 10 years now, and I’d never trade it in. I have no issues with bumps or lumps, so I’d recommend it for you. If you get a pump, give it a good 6-9 months to adjust to it. It takes a bit more attention than shots, but once you get the hang of it, its like its always been there.

Good luck making a decision!

Do not think twice about asking a question like that around here! This site gives me true honest opinions that I would NOT get from my doctor!

Pumps free you up to live your busy life style. I switched to one in high school because I was too involved and keeping my shot schedule was becoming a burden.

Now the tummy question… Cara answered that well. Pumping is not much different to your body than shots. Of course you get that one once in a while that makes you bleed, just like syringes. The better you take care of yourself though, the less residual damage you may have. I have been on a pump for 12 years and when I was younger, I didnt always make sure I was clean before I put it on. So I do have scarring. But I also have scabs on my fingers from checking my sugar. So you know… somethings are a little worth it!

thanx guyz 4 ur opinion…i didnt wanna seem u kno… diva-ish…4 askin a question like that…but i do take pride in how i look and my body image…so thank u for not judging me!!! ive been considering getting the pump 4 about a year and a half now and i just mite get it!! thanx alot!!!

Samara,
GET THE PUMP! Been a D for almost 20 years with shots. I’m 59 years old. Should have gotten the pump long ago. Been on the pump for over a month. A newbe here. I love it! I was sticking myself with insulin 5 to 6 times a day. Now only once every 3 days. Better and easier to control. I can see that you are young and smart. You will learn in no time. Just be sure to ask questions. Lots of them. Go for it. Keep us posted, we want to hear from you and to help you along. I have gotten great help from this site. Good Luck.
Sid

Amen, right to the point. You are my kind of friend.
Sid

thank u…im really thinkin about gettin it now…cuz im takin shots at least 6x’s a day…i forget alot n my a1c is off the wall!!! i get sick n hospitalized alot…so im really lookin 4 a change

This will be the change you need! It does not solve everything. I thought it might… but it doesnt. But hopefully it will help you remember to do what you need to

I very rarely put my infusion set on my abdomen. I don’t really like it there. I use my upper thighs, butt, and love handles.

There are many options for the pump. So if you would otherwise like to try a pump, you should go for it!

But I always tell people that I think that the pump is more work in the beginning. You have to figure out your settings and check your blood sugar often. So try to start on the pump when you are ready to invest the time into getting it right!

When I went on my pump I actually lost a lot of my tummy, it had ended up quite lumpy due to injecting 4/5 times a day, so when I changed from injecting to the pump all my lumps disappeared :slight_smile: