Question for Medicare Dexcom users

Thank you … I didn’t look at the copied links.

John

Has anyone else had trouble getting the email from Dexcom for their monthly Medicare order.

After months of calling and badgering Dexcom, my first order was sent out on October 18th. I expected to get an email around November 10th. When it didn’t come, I called Dexcom and was told that I would be getting an email on November 18th. I asked the CSR why the email couldn’t be sent out earlier and was the told that Dexcom had to follow CMS guidelines and couldn’t send out the email earlier. The CSR told me that if I responded on the 18th, my order should be shipped out on the 20th (32 days after the original order).

I asked if I could have an order shipped to a hotel where I would be vacationing and was told that the order can only be shipped to my house (again stating CMS guidelines). What do people who spend a couple of months in Florida do?

10/18 Update - I got the email this morning, but I had to call Dexcom and talk to CSR for about 30 minutes until everything was straightened out. I was also informed that Dexcom rexamined their Medicare shipping policies and now will ship their equipment anywhere in the U.S. I just need to remember to let them know that I’ll be home next month.

This month Dexcom was really on the ball. We got our email on the correct day, responded to it immediately, and on day 61 from our first delivery, they shipped out our 3rd month’s supplies. The second month, they ran behind because they fumbled both our orders for some stupid technical issue with our names–they CLAIM that the orders were held up because neither of us had our middle initials listed in our documentation and Medicare wouldn’t process the order til fixed. I hope from now on it goes as smoothly as it did this month.

At least they don’t make us sign for the delivery. I hate that my Lyrica has to be signed for, and so does my MM supplies. I have the MM supplies go to a very close-by Fedex store, but Pfizer refuses to send my Lyrica to that store. aargh! I hate waiting all day to sign for a package.

Dexcom tech told me they can ship anywhere in US, and to hotels, for those who are traveling. That subject came up during a tech call about my bad sensor, this morning. (and “yes”, I see u edited your post, Dave15).

Have you tried rerouting the package once Pfizer has shipped it and you have the tracking number. That is usually easy to do with FedEx and that is how I handle things like a new pump that has to be signed for. There is also a program with UPS called UPS Choice which you have to join ahead of time and you can reroute packages. With UPS it is usually a $5 charge. FedEx is free and you don’t have to join a special program. There might be the possibility that Pfizer has made it so that packages can’t be routed to the store but it is worth a try.

This is a blogpost I wrote 4 years ago but as far as I know, the information is still correct.

1 Like

I was told that only the shipper can re-route a package. Not sure if it was a pkg that had to be signed for or not, but I know that I had to call Medtronic to ask them to tell the shipper where to re-route.

Hello, I am new to all this so please excuse me if I make a mistake. I am a type 1 diabetic, and on Medicare. I was told by my Dr. that I needed to go on the Dexcom monitoring system. However, its taken forever to get things in order between the dr. and Dexcom. Now, I am told by Dexcom that they can only ship to my registered physical home address (Medicare rule) which is one state while I am in Florida for the next 6 months. Dexcom said Medicare will not ship or nor will it forward to another address. Additionally, they will not ship to a PO Box which is my billing address and where I receive my mail, etc. Supposedly, they will ship it by Fed X or UPS to my home, (where I am not at this time). My home is rural and our FED X and UPS don’t deliver to our homes but drop off those orders/packages at the local Post Office which Dexcom says it will not deliver to. Quite confusing to say the least and, believe me, this has been an ongoing dilemma. Anyway, I have spoken to three different Dexcom reps and each one has said the same; they can not forward my Dexcom monitor or supplies which is exactly opposite of what you have written. I am so frustrated with this that I truly don’t know if I want to go to all the trouble of even starting this monitor with all the other problems that seem to be attached to it with the ordering and re-ordering process. I travel a great deal and buy all my supplies from various pharmacies because mail order supplies from the online drug insurance companies are a pain where I live and Im never there to receive them. So much easier to go to drug store. This Dexcom monitor seems to be too much problem(stress) and will be controlling my life rather than me controlling my diabetes. Got an advise?

1 Like

The tech dept can apparently ship to hotels, etc, unlike your “regular” monthly orders.

When I said “only the shipper can re-route a package” I was referring to someone discussing asking a shipper (as the recepient) to reroute (I’m talking about during transit, or at least right after the shipping info has been received by the carrier). I’ve never been able to do that. If I’m too low to figure out how many carbs I’ve eaten, I assess that once I have gotten my wits about me, count the carbs, and SOMETIMES take a bolus for 1/2 the excess carbs that I’ve just eaten. that’s to prevent a rebound high. works pretty well.

I have a terrible time getting my sensors from Dexcom. It depends on who I talk to. Medicare causes so much of the problems. I’ve been trying to get more sensors since early December. First they have to wait for my doctor’s notes. They don’t contact me to let me know the notes haven’t been received. I make multiple calls to the doctor’s office, then to Dexcom. Finally I received a message that my order is processing, not yet shipping. Yesterday I was told that the order would be expedited. No email today, Monday is a holiday. Who cares? Actually I have a similar problem with Medtronic but it was basically, again, a Medicare problem and, possibly, the doctor’s office staffing that is lax.
Also my Dexcom receiver got wet and doesn’t work. Thank goodness for the phone app which has worked well. Dexcom told me that Medicare warrants the receiver for 3 years but the company warranty covers it for 6 months. I must be out of warranty to replace.
All thanks to Medicare.

What does that even mean?? I have a Dexcom receiver and it has a 3 year warranty. I’ve had it replaced at least 4 times in 18 months for a variety of issues. Your “6 months” comment is mistaken.

I’ve been getting my G5 direct from Dexcom for about ~16 months. Only twice have I had to call to get the monthly shipment because the automated email didn’t get sent to me. If your doctor’s office is up to snuff you should be having any trouble.

One very important item many do not realize. Dexcom (per medicare rules) tells you they need doctor’s notes every 6 months. Several months ago, my appointment was within a 6 month window but was 185 days from my previous appointment. Dexcom cut me off from receiving my monthly supplies because they said although they state 6 months for doctor’s notes, the cutoff is at exactly 182 days. My doctor rushed the notes through on day 185 and Dexcom recorded the notes as received on day 187 and immediately sent out replacements. My shipment arrived 2 days before a 3 week trip to China and India.

My doc makes sure to see me every 90 days, so that sort of problem doesn’t crop up. Medicare and supplement pays for every penny of the office visits, the labs, the G5 supplies, the strips…so why do you cut it so close by only seeing your doc every 6 months? Sounds like potential problems to me.

I travel all over the world, mostly Asia, for several weeks at a time and it is difficult to schedule date/time that is convenient for both myself and endocrinologist and eye doctor (all in the same building at Joslin). Additionally, even when I am in US, I live in the boondocks 90 miles from the clinic and fighting with lots of road construction delays, and terrible rush hour congestion in the Boston area makes more frequent visits a real hassle. Finally, until I went on medicare paid Dexcom CGM, I only went once a year and with CGM always able to keep A1C between 5.9 and 6.1 so more than once a year, in my opinion, is a waste of my doctor’s time and talents which could be better spent with patients that need it more as well as a waste of my time, regardless of who pays for it.

Yeah, if it’s that much of a hassle I’d not want to go every 90 days either! Actually, I don’t “like” going every 90 days, but it’s what I’ve got to do. As a fellow CGM wearer, I hope you can keep what you need on hand. (I don’t envy you flying! I detest flying these days)

According to the published warranty, Dexcom covers the G5 Receiver (USA) for 1 year from shipment date. Note that there is a specific exemption for water damage as the Dexcom Receiver is not water resistant.

My assumpion is that Medicare acts as an extended warranty such that if a replacement is needed at 18 months then Medicare pays the bill and if a replacement is needed at 9 months (from date of shipment) then Dexcom pays the bill. But only a guess.

In terms of the OP saying they must be out of warranty to replace, I am assuming that means to replace without regard to malfunction. Just as with commercial insurance, it is typical to replace an insulin pump (newer updated model) when it is out of warranty after 4 years however the manufacture will replace the pump at no cost (same model) during the warranty period due to problems that are covered under the warranty.

Yep, you can get a new pump after the warranty runs out (via insurance: group, individual, or Medicare) if you attest that there is something wrong with it. I’ve gone through that many times–the pump reps will prompt patients as to what to say is wrong with the pump. Usually, the standard thing to complain about are the buttons–they stick, are hard to push, etc. It’s all just a big game.

The buttons are hard to press because I ran it over with the car.

:smiling_imp:

1 Like

How do u do strikeout text?