Recommend a movie

Guys, do you know films where they show how diabetes proceeds and how it affects a person?

1 Like

Unfortunately, films and other dramatizations usually get the facts of diabetes wrong. For those of us who live with diabetes, this wasted opportunity is maddening.

I think you will be better served by reading the accounts of people who participate in a discussion forum like this one.

The psychosocial aspects of diabetes are significant. May I suggest that you pose some narrow questions on this forum and see what you can learn from the people who are best informed on this issue.

You could pose a question like, “How has diabetes affected your career?” Or you could ask, “Has diabetes interfered with your ability to form romantic relationships?” You get the idea.

I’ve lived as a T1D for 38 years now and it definitely affected many aspects of my personal life. Many aspects that have been impacted were actually positive benefits. In the last ten years I have dramatically improved my way of eating for the better. Diabetes has also motivated me to improve my exercise, sleep, and mindfulness practices.

It’s not all been positive but many times diabetes impeded my ability to cope well but following research, trial and error, and struggle, most aspects of my life have actually improved because of diabetes. It’s not all rainbows and unicorns, but you get the idea. Adversity can often make you better.

I would never volunteer for diabetes, if I ever had that choice, but it can teach you a lot about your values.

1 Like

“Steel Magnolias” for a horribly dated example.

Much more uplifting and day-to-day timely is Ed Gamble’s “Diabetic Comedian” bit: Ed Gamble Live at the Apollo - YouTube

2 Likes

I remember hating Steel Magnolias. Ed Gamble is hilarious.

There would be 1000+ different scenarios.
At best, it may describe different treatment options, possible complications, how things were in early years before current meds and tech that is available, etc…

You might find something in medical library or youtube.

Are you recently diagnosed, or someone you know?

1 Like

I’ve never seen a movie that gets it right. There is always some bizarre thing they do or experience.

I saw one where a diabetic inmate didn’t get his insulin that day even though he asked for it so he was basically feeling sick and pretty much disabled and confused.

Then on a bus for transfer he finally gets some insulin and kapok he was suddenly full of energy and rare it to kick som butts.

So yea. I pretty much hate every depiction of a diabetic on tv and movies.
The truth is , it’s not that dramatic or exciting. Mostly mundane and boring… there is no drama I it so they have to do silly things the characters.

1 Like

nothing in common with tom hanks and jackie gleason is probably the most accurate I’ve seen, although the godfather 3 scene wasn’t bad…i recently watched panic room and was appalled by its ridiculousness…the fact that she had a glucowatch and chose a glucagen hypokit injection over the gallon of orange juice in the fridge has always bothered me…

1 Like

A favorite topic on many a T1 thread. If you’re talking about dramatic fiction, it’s going to be pretty slim pickings. The general reason for having a (type one) diabetic in a movie at all is “That guy’s gonna need a shot!” Cuz that’s the only thing that can generate suspense or drama. It’s one of the Iron Rules of Hollywood, along with “The first kiss is always interrupted,” “That expensive car is gonna get totaled,” and “Any car chase must go through a vegetable cart or the moral equivalent thereof”. The general-public knows two things about T1, if they know anything about it at all: 1) those people need to take shots; and 2) those people can pass out at any time. Generally those two things get combined, so you see would-be rescuers rushing to get a shot to some poor sap who probably needs a juice box.

4 Likes

Ohh that reminds me. In Hollywood every bag of groceries has a long baguette and celery sticking out the top.

4 Likes

Not to mention what was she doing having a life-threatening low after a dinner of pizza and coke? And how could they even have a Panic Room with a T1 kid in the house and not stock it with glucose tabs?

Though my opinion did go up a notch when I found out the Glucowatch was at least a thing. Even if nothing like depicted in the film. Still: Forest Whitaker and Jodie Foster? Hard not to like just for that.

Despite its comic intent I think this may be the most accurate portrayal of what a severe hypo feels like in film history:

4 Likes

That Ed Gamble routine has like a dozen very important diabetic truths in a very accessible format.

In just a couple minutes he hits:

• The basic mechanics of bg meters
  • Funny aside about bg meters being mistaken for cellphones today
  • The basic mechanics of injecting insulin
  • A humorous approach to the public’s attitude about insulin
  • The press treatment of diabetics
  • Even “the beef” between T1’s and T2’s.

It is just SUPERB.

4 Likes

i expected more from the Jonas brothers documentary, however, it did explain his constant pizza, big gulp, bathroom trips while driving on tour, as well as his diagnosis story, which was done very well…it didn’t really mention his type 1 after his diagnosis, which was disappointing…i expected dexcom and his pump to be mentioned or focused on, but they were not…

Wow, thank you so much for such an open response. It is very important for me. And I’ll take your advice and ask questions on the forum.
I hope you will be active in my other threads as well.

1 Like

I have not yet been diagnosed with diabetes. One of these days I will find out for sure, and the support from this forum helped me in this, since I myself was afraid to go to the doctor. Paternal relatives had diabetes. And in my condition in recent years, I began to suspect it in myself.

And thank you for your advice, I will definitely use them.

Thank you very much, you made me laugh and gave me the opportunity to take a fresh look at this situation.