Resurrection from the D Food Graveyard

But it is all substitution--zucchini pizza, cauliflower rice...AND what is wrong with a fantastic, sweet summer peach? It takes calculations, math and faith.

I am tired of substitutes of all kinds as they are fake food--chemicals up the wazoo, low fat, no sugar (check! it still has the same amount of carbs! and Low Fat adds sugar to stabilize and add taste) Sugar free candy or cookies..does anyone corporately really understand carb counting? Is it all marketing?

If you watched the Oldtimers Interview(with Richard) you will see that "eat what you want, BUT NO SUGAR!! was key in the 50s/60s. It was my world, but with portions.

For Type 1s the world has changed. DRAMATICALLY!! Carb counting is revolutionary. It may seem weird to younger Type 1s--but it has changed everything. We could never eat anything outside the "diet" and it nearly broke me as a teen. If you plan, do the correct calculations, don't eat fake stuff..Do the math with care and enjoy!

and EAT A PEACH!!

Couldn't agree more, Spock!

I don't know if the movement to "eat whatever you want and bolus for it" is necessarily a service to Type 1's though. Some people will interpret and modify it as you do to a question of moderation, others will enjoy the "substitute" foods. But some people will take it literally for permission to indulge without discretion which will cause widely fluctuating blood sugars and in the longterm to weight gain and development of insulin resistance. I think it's a part of the same pattern of low expectations that doctors have in even more intensity for Type 2's.

I am curious why you guys think zucchini, cauliflower etc. are considered "fake." They are real foods and quite satisfying if you ask me. I have had the best time figuring out ways to use these kinds of veggies in place of potatoes and rice. I love baking with almond, coconut and other nut flours. I am not saying this as a criticism mind you I was just curious.

I think there is an objection to frankenfoods and foods that are made to appear as another. I rank this right up there with Tofurky and Quorn mock chicken. If you use these foods to feed a craving, that can be a problem. You will continue to desire the original version. If you like mashed cauliflower for itself, then not a problem.

Zucchini pizza, mashed cauli are real foods. For a whole massive plate of zucchini I will need 1 unit of insulin. An actual pizza slice has more fake stuff added and I would need waaaay more insulin.

I could have the zucchini pizza AND a peach if I wanted to without taking too much insulin.

And sometimes I do crave pizza because I'm a human being.

I have Celiac Disease, and so have not eaten wheat in 20 years. Like drsoosie, I bake with the nut flours, and also sorghum, amaranth, teff and other flours. These are often referred to as "alternative" flours, that is, they are not wheat. These are all real flours, often staples in other countries (such as teff in Ethiopia) and taste good with good recipes. The words alternative and substitute are often misleading; expanding our choices can be a good thing.

What I like to do when I make spaghetti is to shred some zucchini and cook it in the sauce with onion, garlic and hamburger. So filling, and I use little if any pasta to accompany it.

I buy it when in season and super cheap, shred it, and freeze it. It can go into so many things.

Well put, Brian. I had that exact experience when I first stopped sugar due to sugar addiction. Everyone wanted to offer me their favorite artificial sugar substitute and it all tasted awful to me or mediocre at best. The result was I wanted "the real thing". (I do understand that sugar substitutes have gotten better since then but I'm out of the habit and don't have any interest in "sweets" after so long.)

I personally think it's just a matter of taste. None of those things sound very appealing to me. But if it works, you enjoy it and you can use less insulin for it, than it's all good!

To drsoosie: Yes, those are definitely real foods, and lovely on their own (although cauliflower is one of the rare vegies I don't care for). But to me, it's not pizza, potato salad, etc. As for the person who said that there's more artificial crap in pizza, I make my own pizza (once in a blue moon). No artificial crap. But maybe someone would think the pizza or make or get at a gourmet pizza place isn't "real pizza" because it doesn't have tomato sauce!

Food may be the area where we all differ even more than other areas of D. Almost like religion and politics, no?

Zoe I agree...which is why, after realizing I was becoming like a preacher on a pulpit spouting off about the way I eat as a diabetic to anyone who would listen, I have adopted a much more quiet approach. Like all things in life, one finds the things that work for them and that is rarely the thing that will work for someone else. I am happy to share my way of eating and cooking with anyone who actively seeks out my opinion and habits. Otherwise, I keep it zipped up if you know what I mean.

After decades of trying to curb my "preacher on a pulpit" tendencies, drsoosie, I gave in and started a second career as a teacher so I'd have a captive audience. I do try to speak for myself and not use sweeping generalities but I sometimes fail at that as well!

It definitely seems as we get older we get more particular about foods whether due to dietary restrictions or choices or just knowing what we do and don't like. I love to cook for people and have strong hostess genes, but recently I had a weekend guest and had to concede that other than breakfast our needs/wants were too different and we'd be better off going out. I'm planning a visit to Guatemala and a friend suggested a guest house (which provides food). I was horrified..lol...not even a menu to choose from?? Nope, I need a full kitchen. I can see why so many older people like RV's; you can take it all with you! Why just our D supplies could take up half the mobile!

Zoe I am so much like you I believe. The deeper I get into my needs and food desires, the less I want to eat out whether it's in a restaurant or someone else's kitchen. For me, because I have adopted a way of eating that works for both my diabetes and weight as well as desires and satisfaction, I feel much happier and less anxiety when I can prepare my own food just the way I like. Thank goodness my husband likes my way of eating...makes for a happy marriage!!!

As far as "Pulpit preaching" I do have thoughts that when I retire as a dentist, I will do some kind of diabetes education. Being a teacher of sorts, at least where the mouth is concerned, I would love to try to help educate others on living with diabetes. at that point, I should be a veteran lol.

That's a great idea! I did the same: worked in Behavioral Health for 25 years, retired and turned to teaching what I'd practiced all that time. I definitely think you would have a lot to offer. If I'd been diagnosed a lot younger I would have done something D related career wise.

Eating out was one of my favorite things to do. Now I limit it to necessity (if I'm out and about at mealtime) and socialization. It's just not worth the trouble. Yesterday my brother and I were waxing poetic about the romance of train travel. Then I pictured myself a captive audience clickety clacking through the wilderness looking with horror at a menu that didn't have one thing I could eat!

Lately I've taken to slicing zucchini into strips using a vegetable peeler and then steaming the strips. This makes a good alternative to flat pasta in things with a tomato sauce. Haven't tried it with any cream sauces yet.

In any event, I find you and others to be great sources of info and education right here on this site. And for that I am grateful. As far as eating out goes, I find it is like Russian Roulette for me. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I just try to stay to simple choices and no sauces. But I actually miss my own food that I prepare. I never thought in my wildest imagination that I would ever choose my own cooking over that of a nice restaurant. But alas, life deals you unexpected hands and it's always an interesting journey!