Robert's non diabetic Blackberry Shortbread

This is a recipe for two people, me and my wife. I don’t measure things, but these are estimations. It is easy, so I can prepare them bleary eyed before the coffee gets ready.

You only need 0.25 cups of flour, a pinch of salt, two pats of butter cut into the flour, a sprinkle of baking powder and a splash of milk. Four packets of sugar or it’s equivalence in something rlse. It ain’t diabetic. Mix very gingerly. That will make a very dry dough. The berries and the butter when it melts will provide moisture.

Fold in about twelve or fifteen blackberrys. Squirt the pile with lemon juice. You can break one or two of the berries to make the batter turn purple, but you want the warm goodness of a cooked berry to explode in your mouth.

Put parchement paper on a cookie sheet. Carefully make two neat blobs of dough on the parchement. I tuck a small spoonful of blackberry preserves inside each blob.

375 degrees F for twenty minutes or till they start to brown. They are very fragile, so slide each onto a plate with a spatula. We eat them with a fork. They are soft and gooey. You cannot pick them up.

2 Likes