Diabetes Desserts

I discovered this fun blog called http://diabeticpastrychef.com/. Here is the “About” from the chef behind it:

“Shortly after attending culinary school to become a pastry chef, I was diagnosed with diabetes. Mercy! I was devastated, as I absolutely loved to bake and loved to eat sweets. I experimented with a lot of artificial sweeteners and was mainly disappointed with the results. I thought, there has to be a better way to bake great tasting products from my kitchen that will be enjoyable for diabetics to eat. After all, our love of eating is what got most of us into this mess to begin with! After many experiments, I developed a formula that consistently turned out delicious confections even a non-diabetic would love. This blog contains the methods and results of my pastry creations. I am sharing my techniques in the hopes that you will experiment and perform your own culinary wizardry!”

Got any yummy dessert recipes to share with the rest of the community? (that will not get our BGs shoot to the roof, of course!!) :slight_smile:

I usually stick with fruit. Baked apples with cinnamon and a bit of cream. Pears poached in white wine. Berry crumbles with an oatmeal/flour/brown sugar topping. Strawberries or peaches with cream or milk. Bananas pan fried in a bit of butter.

I wish I could share a good recipe, but how about Tofutti Cuties, sugar free pudding mixed with cool whip.

Thanks for this site!! I have a sweet tooth so this should come in very handy!

Marsha, this was one of my little quick fixes. I’d also put it into the mini pie shells.

I saw this recipe at All recipe.com. Its simple. I have a sweet tooth myself and I love baking. Most of the time, I use sugar substitutes like Splenda.

Mango Mousse

2 mangos - peeled, seeded, and cubed
1 banana
2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
2 teaspoons honey
6 cubes ice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
In a blender combine mangoes, bananas, yogurt, honey, ice cubes, and vanilla extract until smooth. Refrigerate for 3 hours. Pour into individual dishes and serve You can also freeze it.