Rounding errors in carb counting caused by stupid nutrition labels

Hello there Discussion members, (Discourse-ion)

Topic Summary: I’ve had a major gripe pertaining to faulty nutririon labels. I don’t know how much this is an issue comparatively in the Imperial Vs. Metric systems.

Item | Servs per | Size =carb | Net weight(Total)
soup | about 2. | 240g = 10c | 524g or 2.18 servings
peas | about 3½ | 130g = 20c | 425g or 3.26
beans| about 3½ | 130g = 21c| 425g or 3.26

«Don’t know how to format tables but hope to edit once I figure them out.»

For first item 2 servings approximated is 480g not 524g actual
For second&third item 3.5 servings is 390+65 or 455g not 425g actual

I find issues with inaccurate food labels maybe too many. If the inaccuracies are a few carbohydrates it’s not much of a deal but assuming an accurate 2.0 or 1.5 servings when it may be 2.24 or 1.74 servings and you are making something with a high number of servings it can lead to severe miscalculations.

For your replies might I request the following in addition to any comments/suggestions.

Do you have stories of gross miscalculations caused by inaccurate labels that have lead to carb counting issues and low or high post meal BG results?
If so please explain them here.

Thanks,
MikFly (aka Mike)

don’t sweat the small stuff. :slight_smile:

Hi Mike - I know you asked for help in deciphering nutrition labels but I find using a scale works better for me. I use Calorie King to measure carbs, protein and fat by weight. I’ve found this to be more consistent and dependable than depending on the nutrition label. Calorie King allows you to insert the serving size by weight using grams or ounces. It also allows choosing alternate volume measures such as cups, tablespoons, teaspoons, slices and many others. I find weight to be much more dependable than volume for calculating the nutritional content of most foods.

The Calorie King program produces a standard nutrition label for your exact serving size. In addition to carbs, protein, and fat, it also reports fiber and calories.

I know that using labels might shorten the process but I find weighing using an inexpensive digital scale to be very consistent. My insulin doses tend to be better matched to my nutrition. I also keep a record of the insulin dosing I use for many of the common meals I eat so I can give the dose quickly and get on to eating.

The labeling system you showed as an example seems to invite confusion. Good luck. This is a worthwhile project. Matching insulin well to nutrition is complicated enough with timing, changing insulin resistance, and other factors. Adding the wild-card of inaccurate food measurements only makes it harder and also complicates analysis when things go wrong.

1 Like

I use a scale, too, and often measure in grams for greater accuracy. I started doing this long before I was diagnosed with diabetes 'cos all bakers know that the way a cup of flour is measured will result in a different amount of flour and thus will affect the quality of baked goods. That said, I always use weight instead of volume when serving up breakfast cereal or sweet potatoes or pasta for a more accurate carb count.

Years ago I used to weigh or measure food but now I just eye ball more or less & it works for me
As long as I know what what the food is made with
Nothing is exact
Good luck
T1d since 1936
Minimed pump
No cgm

My biggest complaint is the practice of choosing very small serving sizes as a way of evading the requirements to disclose nutrition information. You are not required to report carb amounts less than 1g so if you choose a serving size like one sweetening packet that weighs less than 1g then you can report 0g of carbs on the nutrition label. But that is a bold faced lie.