“Rushing” or side effect I can’t seem to find out what it is

Just prior to being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, I experienced an issue I refer to as “rushing,” - basically, I feel a rushing sensation and it tends to make me pause and freeze, for the few seconds (usually less than 30 seconds) it’s happening, I can’t really read or rather, I don’t retain what I’m reading, and I feel confused and generally mentally foggy.

This crops back up from time to time and when it does, I figure my insulin has gone bad or been left out (70/30 bought at Walmart), so I buy a new vial. I bought a new vial this afternoon, took my dose just before eating dinner, thinking this would solve the “rushing” problem only to have another episode while I was putting my son to bed, about 3 hours after dinner. Tested my blood sugar just after it, was 109.

Does anyone else have this issue? How did you describe it to your doctor? It doesn’t completely incapacitate me, it just tends to make me pause, if I try to speak during it, my words can become jumbled and it’s hard for me to get them out right. BUT this doesn’t happen often - I can count on one hand and I was diagnosed 10 years ago. I’m just concerned this evening because it happened after the new insulin when it usually doesn’t.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

The closest that I can relate to what you describe is that sometimes I feel a similar weakness that might be described as your, ‘rushing.’ I often assume that its low BG, but when I check my sugar its normal. I believe this is just the weakness that everyone gets when they haven’t eaten enough and are becoming a bit faint. I assume normal people get this sensation too.

But, I can also feel weak when my sugar drops 100 points quickly ( after correction dose kicks in). If it drops from 200 to 100 in an hour, I feel ‘off.’ A similar sensation might occur if I have a rapid increase in sugar, although that reads as more of an ‘exhaustion’ type of symptom that is more intense and long lasting.

I don’t know if this is similar to you. Maybe its good practice for you talking to the Doctor to attempt to describe it better here.

1 Like

You don’t mention any bg readings at or around the time of the “rushing”. I would have a hard time blaming bad insulin (as you initially did) without indication from a bg reading.

When I am hypo (below 60) I can definitely get into a state where I can read the same thing 10 times and not absorb a single word. I’m not sure I would call that a “rush” - it’s much more of a fog.

You mention the duration as being under 30 seconds. That can describe what happens to me from postural hypotension. When I was much much younger (early teens? Probably before I was diagnosed with diabetes) I would go from lying down to running up a flight of stairs just for the “rush” of the postural hypotension.

1 Like

I have a very weird sensation that I have never been able to describe to my doctor. So I’ve tried to ignore it.
Maybe it is similar. For me it happens more when I don’t get enough sleep. I thought it was blood pressure related but I can’t link it to pressure, my glucose doesn’t seem to matter either.

When it happens to me it’s sort of like a blood pressure spike. I feel it in m my body and I can actually hear it in my ears.
It’s like being hit with a wave and it immediately subsides.

Then hits me again and again. I don’t feel week from it, but it freaks me out a little. It’s more a sensation then anything, but the sound is very distracting.

I developed low blood pressure a few years ago, so I always figured it was that, but I get it when my pressure is normal or high or low.

I started eating more salt to combat low pressure and it has worked. The weird symptoms persist though. It’s a reminder to me that I need more sleep. Sometimes going for a hike will help me not notice it.

You think that is the sensation of your heart skipping a beat? The ‘sound’ part of it is sure interesting.

No it’s not regular like that. It comes and goes intermittently.
Like if you were listening to a staticy radio station and you blared the volume for a half second.

In my body I feel as if I were laying on a water bed and someone thumped it hard. Just one wave though. Not like bouncing off the walls of the bed.

When it started I got a full work up. I did a treadmill test and I wore a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours.

I had my head examined, meaning I got an X-ray of my inner ears.
Nothing. Not a thing. The doctors had never heard of this symptom so there is no treatment.
I don’t know what it is, but it still happens from time to time. I only notice it when I’m laying down or if it’s real quiet.

I have had life long tinnitus. Even since I was a little kid, something I always thought everyone hears. So I guess it could be related to that, but I feel it all over too.

I pretty much gave up on ever explaining it, and it comes and goes but doesn’t get worse.

1 Like

Thats super interesting and not well understood. I was listening to a man speak on the radio from Australia who was doing research on that. Maybe he was from here: Ground-breaking tinnitus test paves the way to new treatments - Bionics Institute

Mine doesn’t really bother me most of the time. I’ve had it since I was a little kid, at night I would ask my mother what the noise was. I’ve learned to ignore it. It’s quite high pitched, and yes I don’t hear really well in taht range because it gets masked, but really it’s so high pitch that I have no real hearing issues.
So it’s not from loud noises or concerts. I’ve always had it.

It’s very constant except when I get one of these rush things. Then I hear it.

1 Like