Sad news for Sugarmate users

I really love this little widget that displays my G6 data in a much more useful format than the native Dexcom phone app. Along with the arrows, it gives you the + or - difference between your current reading and the previous one, which I find much more instantly comprehensible, and it can live in your desktop toolbar (if you’re a Mac user, not sure about Windows) as well as your iPhone notifications layer. I’ve grown to rely on it pretty heavily over the years, so I was sad to see an email this a.m. saying that it will be disconnected as of Thurs. Nov. 4 due to an update to Dexcom’s server architecture. Apparently they were using a deprecated data channel and knew this was coming, but the timeline to develop a new service access is indeterminate. Dang.

https://help.sugarmate.io/en/articles/5678010-faqs-sugarmate-and-dexcom-connection

1 Like

Dag nabbit. !

I bought an Apple Watch so I can have my sugar on the face.
I use sugarmate to make that happen.

If the Dexcom ap was any good, we wouldn’t need to go to a third party, but the dexcom Apple Watch ap won’t stay up and you need to load it and it takes 3 buttons.

I really need a no touch solution to seeing my sugars.

At work I wear gloves most of the time and I can’t be touching my phone or watch.

This whole thing really irks me to no end.

IM FREAKING QUITTING DIABETES! IM TIRED OF IT !

5 Likes

I use a Fitbit Versa 2 for this: there’s a 3rd-party clockface called Glance that displays Dexcom data as well as time of day on the primary screen. It gives you a choice of data sources, one of which is the Master Dexcom Account, which I use, so it’s unaffected.

But I’m a bit confused because I understood that Sugarmate uses Share, which certainly isn’t deprecated. At setup you add Sugarmate to your Share list, via an address they provide. Maybe that’s where the glitch comes in—something in how the API is coded or authenticated on the Sugarmate side. The cut-off is predicted to be tomorrow but I already see some data dropouts in my Sugarmate feed. It’s blank for anything before 9:58 a.m., and the parameters that are dependent on historical data (% above/below range, median) are blank. So something’s weird.

I am too! Just as soon as I figure out where to send my resignation letter. Don’t suppose you have the right contact info? I can’t even find the website for whoever’s in charge of this whole thing.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is part of Dexcom’s internal IT reconfiguration, but I lost the glucose trace on my Dexcom iOS app. Just before this happened, a Dexcom warning about a clock adjustment showed up on my screen.

I just exited the app and things returned to the usual display complete with the glucose trace.

In order to quit you just need someone to take your place. So find a healthy friend who wants to live this existence.
I mean you get a lot of attention. Negative attention is still attention.
You get people who care so much that they will tell you what to eat and moreover what not to eat.

You won’t need to worry about getting a clear answer from doctors because no one is on the same page. A1c at 5.5 is too low you could die. Or an a1c of 6.5 will give you heart disease and you could die.

So good news is you can just accept that doctors will generally tell you that your behavior is killing you. So you don’t need to change anything cause there is no real consensus.

Oh yea and if you are not taking enough insulin your pee will smell like foot loops. That’s cool if you like that smell.

I could go on and on about the benefits, I just need one person to take it from me.
It will cost you. I’m selling it for $0.32 US. I take Venmo zelle and PayPal.
That cause if you make it free people won’t value it.

5 Likes

well shoot… rick

To continue using Sugarmate, install and load Nightscout and then replace Dexcom with Nightscout as your Sugarmate data source:

https://nightscout.github.io/?fbclid=IwAR2rB_YrsV-FRUzimB3154MhSk0l0piFLa2KpptOkJQfQJfLoMVnTlX0Rg8

https://help.sugarmate.io/en/articles/4673402-adding-a-nightscout-data-source

Terry, I would hazard a guess the disappearance of the trace after a time adjustment has to do with how the app is internally doing timestamping.

I don’t think the app by itself depends on the Dexcom mothership mainframe for display. I think the app is working off its own internal history and timekeeping.

If you’ve ever done a CVS export from Clarity you might have recognized columns containing not just the human readable time, but also a seconds-since 1970 epoch time stamp, and a seconds-since-transmitter -started timestamp. After a local time change, I think some bookkeeping has to be done to keep maybe 2 of these 3 aligned before the curve can be shown again. (I think “seconds since transmitter started” is inviolate and the other two can be shifted and slid, but I could be wrong).

I recall in time changes, the Apple app is slightly different than the G6 receiver device is slightly different than the Clarity trace. I’ll look in detail throughout the upcoming 25 hour day (daylight savings time) and see which ones show something funny. I recall that at one point Clarity would show two different curves preceding the 2AM hour when we fall back, and a one hour gap when we spring forward. But that was over a year ago and I believe some timekeeping details may have changed since then.

1 Like