Safety Lock/Transmitter Key

I just put on my second sensor and have a question about removing the safety lock/transmitter key. Is there any reason that you guys know why I can’t remove the transmitter key before I even start applying the sensor? It’s very awkward to remove after the sensor has been taped down, but before inserting. I’m sure it will get easier with practice, but I’m wondering if I can just remove it before starting.

I have not tried that but I have read that some people do that. Just be careful that you don’t push the sensor release button accidentally!

I remove it first. The only potential problem with doing it this way is, one time, I removed it, then proceeded to drop it which caused the plunger to get pushed in and render the sensor useless…I almost manually injected it, but couldn’t bring myself to do it. Nonetheless, I still always remove that piece before applying the adhesive.

Thanks. I think I’ll try it next week. I’ll be extra careful.

I used to remove the safety lock before gluing the sensor and plunging then needle, then once I trashed a sensor as by mistake I pressed on the plunger before gluing the pad, and I had to throw away a brand new sensor.

Since then I keep the safety lock on, and proceed to removing it just before plunging the needle in the skin. Not awkward at all, and saves me money. :wink:

Ciao, Luca