Wasted sensor - bad applicator or bad user...?

I’ve been using the Dexcom for a while and have gotten into the habit of removing the safety lock before I stick the sensor to my skin. Last night I went to put in a new sensor. I can’t remember the exact order of what I did, but right before I was going to stick the sensor pod to my skin I happened to look at it and saw that the plunger was pushed in all the way and the sensor wire was already all the way out! (At this point the “collar” was still in the down position.) I tried pulling the plunger back to see if the wire would retract but no luck - the plunger did seem to pull back maybe an 1/8 of an inch, but then the wire came completely off the sensor! So much for that one… Thankfully I still had another sensor left.

I don’t remember pulling down the plunger at all, but I must have as the wire wasn’t yet extended when I took the backing off the adhesive. I didn’t think it was that easy to push the plunger down, but then up until now I’ve always had the sensor pod adhered before pushing the plunger.

Anyway, has this happened to anyone else? What do people think - bad applicator or bad user? I haven’t contacted Dexcom yet as I clearly didn’t follow directions, and I usually like to have the moral high ground of being entirely faultless before I feel comfortable demanding reimbursement…

Thanks.

Personally, I would call Dexcom Tech Support out of curiosity and ask (when you call the 1-877 number I think you press #3 for Tech Support). Poor Georgina and Valerie talk to me so much that they know me by my voice before I even say my name! (poor gals!). The Dexcom Tech Support people are so nice, friendly and very helpful.

Good Luck!

Maybe you should consider changing your habit, and keep the safety lock in until you stick the whole thing to your skin… :slight_smile:

I had the exact same feeling earlier this week, normally I would also remove the safety lock before, but then I thought “why?” and left it, no harm done. It’s so easy to remove anyway…

Ciao, Luca

Thanks, Luca. Yes I will definitely keep the safety lock on until the sensor is attached. Lesson learned…