Saw Abbotts Freestyle Neo for US in CVS today. What a cruel joke

Abbotts Freestyle Neo is avalible in the US.. Saw it on the shelf at CVS..
The epaper display looks nice but whats the point of it... just like the insulynx they took out the best feature.. the NEO in other countries does KETONE TESTING and replaces the Precision Xtra which really is an older meter and practically noone uses it for glucose... Insulynx without the bolus calculator, now NEO without the ketones (and the Bolus Calculator) . WtF

I get theres cost with the FDA, but what about paying back the community.. Theres still room for a profit on consumables.. unless you want to become a medicare preferred glucose meter...

-j

How is it for accuracy though?

Paying back the community? Not sure what you mean by that.

A company has to make a profit, otherwise they don't exist. You're "paying back the community" model, if it's what I think it is, means you don't get these products at all.

i tried to order a free meter until i realized there are no US states listed as i entered my address--just provinces in Canada. bummer. then i noticed i was on a "ca" site.

I just picked one up. We'll see how it works.

I've been T1 for 33 years and am pretty dubious about the need for common ketone testing. I think ketone testing does have some real uses on sick days or when pump plumbing gets stuffed up, but the good old urine test strips are good enough then IMHO.

I'm actually surprised at the Neo being bigger than the old Precision Xtra which was super small - maybe there was a desire for a bigger screen? I remember the old Exactech Pen meter (seemed very similar to Medisense Precision QID? Maybe even used same strips?), now that was tiny!

Medisense meters were the worst meters I've ever used. I got a refund on the one that was like a thick credit card size. It was a random number generator. I owned it for about 2 days.

I like the e-ink screen and the strips are interesting as they come packaged in single strip packs. Meter is very thin as well.

that would be a nuisance for me (single strip pk). I use too many to want to remove each strip from packaging.

How has the accuracy been of the neo @mikep ? I was thinking about picking one up when I saw the price of the test strips!

just how pricey are they, Lilli2?

Not pricy at all @phoenixbound I should have said I was tempted to pick one up when I saw how cheap the strips are, $21 for 50 strips. I was wondering if they are as accurate as the Freestyle Lite?

Ah. that is quite cheap! Not as cheap as my copay for the number of strips I get, but awesome for anyone paying for strips out of their own pocket.

I see why I thought they were expensive. I misread your sentence about pricing, thinking you had written “…picking one up UNTIL I saw the price…” :slight_smile: I need to slow down when I read…

accuracy was very good. I’ve only used for 50 tests though because my insurance doesn’t currently cover the strips. They said likely because it’s so new (this was a few weeks ago). I will likely check again soon. I really like the meter.

1 Like

Wil Dubois at DiabetesMine / Healthline pretty much has the same opinion as I do on this… And he found the strips weren’t all that accurate…

I dont think Ive tested for ketones in…I dunno just a guess…25 years? Cant really think of a reason to ever do so.

T1D for 48 years here.