Saw the G6 inserted today for the first time

…and even I am appalled at the size of that thing! No wonder people complain about it–an inserter for every sensor!! The G5, of course has an inserter with each sensor but it’s nothing like the G6s’. I’m not looking forward to packing them for vacation, but I suppose I wouldn’t generally need to take more than 2 with me…but still, where were the engineers when they came up with that system???

1 Like

I totally agree. They are HUGE. Bigger than a typical computer mouse. But here is why I like it better than the G5:

• Much less painful insertion.
  • One button press and it does the rest
  • No sharpie container needed. Throw it in the trash
  • Better accuracy
  • NO CALIBRATION REQUIRED
2 Likes

Your points may or not apply in all instances of sensor use, however. Not that I’m disagreeing with them, it’s just that some of us have no insertion pain with the G5, I don’t think one needs a sharps container for the G5 inserter (retracted needle), and I read about the G6 sometimes needing to be “coerced” for accurate readings.

I hope to have a positive experience with the G6 when I get switched to it a few months from now. Many years ago I learned that “new” or “newer” doesn’t necessarily indicate that something is better than what preceded it, so I hope the upgrade won’t be one of the “newer isn’t better” cases.

1 Like

I had a lot of skepticism when I upgraded, and about the inserter thing in particular. It reminded me of the “Serter” used by the MT Guardian 3, and I found that thing cumbersome and not particularly helpful when I was using those. But bulky as it is, the G6 thing is actually way superior to the Guardian 3, and for me to the G5 as well, particularly in doing back-of-the-arm and other insertions in hard-to-reach spots. And yeah, you figure out how to do it with the G5, there are videos, but it was always awkward even after I worked out my own techniques around it. With the G5 there’s no technique necessary. It really is an improvement.

Well, except for the bulkiness and waste, which I gather is a message they’ve heard pretty loudly, and are redesigning for the next version.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried to install the G5 on my arm but have watched videos of folks doing just that. I have good luck with the abdomen so never felt the need to try alternate sites. I used to install the G5 on my wife’s arm for many months, but she has done it herself for about a year now. It looks awkward.

I am one of those people who had painful insertions with the G5. I loved the G5 sensor, but dreaded the insertion.
The G6 setup is GREAT! There is almost no sting, pain, anything!
And, because it is so easy to do, I have very good luck to insert it consistently at the same angle that works for me.

1 Like

And yeah, that sucker is big, bulky, and takes up space.
But, for how it works for me, I am happy with it!
I still think they could make a multi-use inserter. I know there is liability, but I would love the idea of one inserter, and a small pack of sensors.

1 Like

Same for me. I really hate pushing an inserter release button (sensor or infusion set) and hoping it won’t hurt. It’s like rolling a roulette wheel. With the G6 inserter, to my surprise, it’s absolutely painless. I’m not sure how it works. Until I see the mechanism I won’t second-guess the amount of real estate it needs. On the other hand, the ergonomics are really nice. Easy to handle and align. My arthritis is ever degrading my reach. It’s easier for me to place the sensor further back on my abdomen than the G5 inserter.

1 Like

Same. For me that thing of having to push in that G5 giant-syringe-like injector was almost always painful, and not fast. Somehow it’s worse that you’re doing it with your own muscle power. Half the time my infusion set insertions hurt, too, but at least the darn thing is spring-loaded.

2 Likes

I always pinch up the insertion site (G5) before I push the button. Do those of you who have insertion pain with the G5 ever pinch? My sites are just above the waist, closer to the hip than to my belly button. There’s some fat there so that I’m not hitting muscle.

I tried it every which way I could with the G5.
I had to hold it with one hand, and ‘slap’ the button with the other hand to do it as FAST as I could. This would hurt less.
The G6 is so simple and easy and painless.
It is leaps and bounds better than the G5 setup.

1 Like

I love it … it is BIG but I have ligament inflammation and arthritis (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis) so the huge applicator is great. Think lots of ppl have neuropathy so guess it is inclusive as possible to more people then not.

I also like that it’s easy to apply to various locations without help.

The tandem pump infusion set applicator is small but seriously hard for my dexterity issues that are really quite mild! The clip is insanely near impossible for detaching during water activities … POINT BEING… tech tries to make everything smaller but it’s not inclusive across the range and don’t want bulky but helps to have options since all of us aren’t ‘typical users.’

I also can say that the g6 has been painless with this device every time!

My tightly and smaller tandem applicator has not only caused me to poke myself in my finger but also accidentally trigger device and really hard to apply to non visualized locations (I.e., back of arm, etc) so, I appreciate the ridiculous size of the dexcom g6 applicator!

2 Likes

I’ve found this to be very annoying for vacations. I’m more likely to have sensors fail upon insertion with the G6 than with the G5 as well, so I have to take MORE sensors than I would have with the G5.

They don’t fail often, but vacation is really not the time when I want them to fail. And I have had them fail on vacation. I had a G6 bleeder in Italy that I tried to make work because I had only brought 2 back-ups and the bleeder was one of them. After hours of being below 40 (during the night no less), I had to call it a day and replace it. So then I didn’t have any back-ups.

I understand why lots of people like the G6 inserter better. I just really don’t like the size.

All that being said… the G6 is better than the G5 in every other way for me.

1 Like

I am curious as to why everyone who uses the arm puts it on the back of the arm. I have always used the front of my arms and, therefore, don’t have a problem with the G5. I insert it with the ‘barrel’ aimed upward so that when I press the sides for its removal, the inserter falls downward and off. With a chin nudge if necessary!
I have never attempted the back of my arms and don’t plan to. But then I am not skinny (recent wt loss though) so maybe having some tissue on front part of arm helps.

I used the Libre before the Dexcom and it has a bulky type applicator too, but it’s round without the handle and you push it down like a stamp. It’s about half the size. Sometimes the Libre would not come loose easily from the applicator and I am having that same issue when I have applied it on my dog. Libre’s answer is to push harder with the applicator, but I did badly bruise once with it in doing so. And now I am applying skin tac onto it and letting it get tacky so it is even more stubborn. (the trick with the dog is getting it to stay on).

The Dexcom applicator might be big, I think it is actually a little harder to hold and handle than the Libre, but it does work better on “delivery”.

I’m all for not having waste, but I appreciate a painless easy attachment method and in this case will take that as first choice.

Welcome @Issadora!

1 Like

I think the back of the arm has more fat… since the CGM uses the fluid, having weight helps! On the front, more likely there is muscle and the flex might create more issues perhaps?

I know that with the pump, they say you can apply it to any site you normally inject insulin at

Then, the g6 is supposedly only “approved’ for the stomach in adults although kids have all the injection ‘friendly sites.’ Of course, it works in the same injection sites… Just not technically approved. Like I was told, as long as the BG is being picked up consistently.

Whole point is that front arm isn’t a place used for any injections (seems like it though).

1 Like

Dave…yes I agree with your comments on the size of the sensor inserter for the G6. However, since you’re new to the G6 I suggest your keep a close eye on G6 CGM reporting and cross-check with tests from your glucometer. Dexcom has confirmed to me that they are having some “recent technical issues with the G6 sensors.” In my case it manifested in G6 CGM reporting that was outside Dexcoms target +/- accuracy spec, and more worrisome, G6 CGM trends that were diametrically opposed to what my glucometer was reporting. I’m on a temporary hiatus from using the G6 until they’ve comforted that the issues are resolve. For me, even with medical insurance, supplies are very expensive and I cannot afford to spend money on a science experiment.

1 Like

@Gerhart_Friedel Do you know if it’s a particular sensor series or transmitter series that is having the issue?

I have a G5 and am reasonably satisfied with it ( despite it goes on strike).
I’ve been following this because my Endo is encouraging me to “upgrade” however, I took one look at the size of that puppy. I travel and live on my sailboat for about 5 months per year. Dealing with all that bulk is going to be a major issue, as is disposing of all that waste.
I was also told that there is no need for finger sticks with this G6. Really? I was also told that the G5 only needed 2 calibrations per day. That’s rubbish. During times when the readings are erratic, or it’s on strike, I’ve had to do finger stick tests up to 6 per day. Anyone else experience this? I’m fearful of the G6 as I’ve also been told that Medicare don’t cover test strips any more?