Serious Diabetes Police Family

As far as all the life-style choices accusation. I have no idea whether my fondness for potatoes and rice (I never ate a lot of sugar, and had pretty much removed soda from my diet) hastened the onset of my diabetes, but I really don’t care. The fact is, I was eating the same sort of diet they eat now, it’s the recommended carb-heavy diet that people seem to think is healthy (whole grain bread, brown rice, etc). So even if my diet was a contributing factor, I don’t blame myself for that. It’s a society issue, IMO.

Quite so. And—hypothetically, just for the sake of discussion—if it is the cause, then it’s especially cruel of them to taunt you by pointing out that you developed a disease eating the same diet they are apparently able to consume with impunity.

3 Likes

“Thank you for your concern but I’ve been living with this for 37 years now. I think I know what I’m doing.” After hearing something like this a few times most will get the message. They mean well but most have very old ideas about our disease and how to manage it!

3 Likes

I’d keep repeating, “I’ve got this.”. Over and over and over without going into any more discussion. Just keep repeating, “I’ve got this.”. It will drive them crazy not being able to get a rise but eventually they’ll move on to harassing someone else. And yes, unsolicited repetitive advice is harassment bordering on bullying.

1 Like

I’m surprised that this was the FIRST X-mas Dinner I had that NO ONE said “can you eat that…?” or “You’re a Diabetic you cant eat that…” Of course It helped that I told everyone RIGHT after Grace that Yes I am a Diabetic, but I CAN EAT what I want as long as I bolus on my pump for it, Generally speaking of course…lol

3 Likes

“Did you know diabetes is contagious? Please pass the cinnamon…”

1 Like

I’m certain bitter melon is better than cinnamon!

The magazines and books at the checkout lines don’t help us much here. “Cure diabetes in just 7 days!” etc.

Some typical titles from Amazon: “Cure Diabetes with Food”, “Reverse Your Diabetes”, “There is a Cure for Diabetes”, “The Diabetes Cure”, “Dr Neal Barnard’s Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes”. There’s no end to these titles.

I have a co-worker who swears up and down if I just ate the right kind of chicken soup my diabetes would be cured. He’s been telling me this for years!!!

4 Likes

Chicken soup for the pancreas?

3 Likes

[quote=“Tim12, post:28, topic:58199, full:true”]
I have a co-worker who swears up and down if I just ate the right kind of chicken soup my diabetes would be cured. He’s been telling me this for years!!!
[/quote]There are no diabetic chickens. Consider that.

5 Likes