Share Your Thoughts!

Hey! I’m writing an article for JDRF on - surprise, surprise - meeting others with diabetes. I am looking for stories from people who have met others with type 1 diabetes in REAL LIFE (the Internets are great, but that’s a totally different article!). I am also looking for encounters that go a bit beyond just the random “I spotted an insulin pump at the supermarket” though those are okay too - especially if you end up staying in contact with that person, even if it’s just a little while. Some examples I’m looking for are support groups, events, conferences, class (diabetes or otherwise).

Please either comment here or shoot me an email ASAP at amblass@gmail.com.

Even if you think your story might not fit this, I write a lot of articles about diabetes so I might use your story in the future. Thanks!!!

-Allison

I haven’t meat a Type 1 Diabetic per say but my oldest daughter took Type 1 at 11 does that count for anything? I too am a Type 1.

No, unfortunately that doesn’t count! But if I write an article about parent I’ll keep you in mind. :slight_smile:

I was just wondering! I really didn’t think it would but ya’ never know! HA! If I can be of any help just let me know!

I have one on my blog. Here is the link to it

Blog

If you need more info let me know and I could possible fill in any gaps. This was the first type 1 I had actually met and talked to.

Is this someone you still talk to? Or was it just a one-time encounter?

I still talk to him and see him on a regular basis in the building. I shoot him an email every now and again if I have a question and he knows to do the same

When I was a freshman in high school, I made a friend in my English class. We were friends for a few months before we realized we had met at a diabetes day camp in the sixth grade. I don’t think we’re friends because we’re diabetic, but I think it’s added a different dimension to our friendship. A few years out of college now, we don’t live in the same state anymore, but we still see each other and talk a few times a year.

That’s funny. My friend and I are very careful never to mention a1c’s. We’ll say if it’s good or bad, better or worse, but we never use actual numbers. A few times I’ve met strangers with diabetes when they saw me testing or taking insulin, and I’m always uncomfortable when they ask what my a1c is. To me, it’s like asking someone their weight or what grade they got on a test.

I met a fellow pumper on the internet with the passing of a fellow diabetic that we both knew but we did not know each other. He lives in Florida and I live in Chicago and we have met up three times, twice in Chicago and once in FL. How we met is very emotional and our visits together have been so much fun. I have known him for 5 years and we are very competive with our A1C’s. He now has the CGMS and is helping me to get mine with my fight with my insurance. Let me know if you want further details as to me I sometimes find the story amazing, but interesting.

Karen, I would definitely love to hear more! Please email me at amblass@gmail.com

I sent my story but it did not go through

No it worked. I got it. :slight_smile:

Just sent you a message about this. Very cool, Allison!

This is not much use as source material. All the support groups for diabetes I ever attended were unattended.

I work with two men with type 1 diabetic spouses. We chat a bit about the diabetic stuff that goes on in each other’s lives. This is ongoing

I was diagnosed a long time ago when I was in the 6h grade in school. The next year, another 6th grader was diagnosed. He was a friend of one of my brothers. TIme passed. I run into him again twenty years later. He was working in the store that his parents own. He was now legally blind. That was 20 years ago. I have don’t know anything else

Allison,
I don’t know how far back you are going, but my mother met Jane Meagher Webber’s (another tudiabetes member) mother at a support group at Joslin Clinic in 1978. Jane and I were introduced a few weeks later and have been friends since.

I have not kept in contact with the person I met persay, but hopefuly soon I will. My husband and I are trying to move to Texas, and one weekend we drove there from Arizona to meet with his new boss. They took us out to dinner and after a great evening I stood up from the table and was entering info into my pump. When I came back my husband and Jeff, his boss, were talking but his wife whispered to me and asked if I was Diabetic as she had seen my pump. That started a whole new conversation. My husband is out in Texas working and Jeff has asked questions of me through my husband. I hope that as soon as we sell our house in Arizona and move out to Texas he will be a great help with finding a new doctor and support groups there. So it is only a budding relationship, but if it fits in to what you want I would be happy to elaborate.

Before I knew I was diabetic, in 2004, I read a book by a woman with diabetes. The following year, again when I didn’t know I had diabetes (although I was starting to get sick by then), she came and spoke to my class. When I was diagnosed, she was the first person to come to my mind. I sent her an email and asked if we could meet. So we did! Me and her and another diabetic. It was pretty cool. They are both very cool women, who have had T1 for over 40 years. But I was too embarrassed to mention that I’m transsexual and didn’t contact her again :frowning:

About two weeks after I was diagnosed, I was grumping before class about how much test strips cost. A classmate interjected that they were cheaper on a certain website. I asked her how she knew, and she’s a diabetic too! She doesn’t like to talk about diabetes, at least not like I do, but I like seeing her around campus, feeling less alone. She and I have the same major so I see her more than I do most other students.

About two months after I was diagnosed, I was at a bus stop, checking my blood sugar. A woman came up to me and asked me if I was on shots. I said yes. She said that her doctor says she’ll have to go on shots if her diabetes doesn’t under come under control soon. She asked if the shots hurt. A little bit, I said.
I was on the bus a few months later and I was testing my blood sugar. A woman stared at me, and when I said Hey, she told me that her friend had just been diagnosed with diabetes, and she was learning to check blood sugar. You make it look so easy, she said.

I took a course on brain biology, and when we got to the bit on how your brain needs glucose, there were two of us wanting to know about hypoglycemia, brain damage, stroke. Afterwards I went up to her and asked her what her interest in diabetes was; viola, another diabetic. She dropped the class the following week and I don’t see her anymore.

And of course, there’s all those people in my life whose diabetes I didn’t know about until I was diagnosed. I met them as diabetics only after I introduced myself as one of the tribe. My grandfather checks his blood sugar twice daily, but I’d never have known about that part of him before. My librarian is tired because her blood sugar is high and she drinks diet soda because otherwise her blood sugar gets even higher.

I went to a diabetes meet up group in the spring. The group was assembled by a woman who’d been very recently diagnosed with type 1. The other people there were a guy who had never met another diabetic but who’d been slogging through it since he was a kid, and a “healer” to sell us stuff. It was sort of awkward but also cool, and the group didn’t meet again.

I’m participating in a reseach study on glucometers. I tested in at 39 when I arrived at the meeting, arrousing lots of murmers from the assembled, all type 2 diabetics more than twice my age. None had tested below 60. I ended up chatting afterwards with the second youngest guy there, who was around 40. He’d been on insulin for four years, he told me, and his blood sugar was almost always high. He took the same amount no matter what his blood sugar was, and he didn’t want to take more because he’d heard it damaged your liver. I wanted to refer him to tudiabetes, but he doesn’t even have an email address so I guess probably no internet connection either.

And a week ago, I met up with a fellow d blogger, Bad Decision Maker (Carrie), and we walked and talked for four hours.

I met Amy at summer diabetes camp when we were small children and we became fast friends. We would plan to attend the same session every summer and we often used to talk about wouldn’t it be great if we lived in closer to each other, or went to the same school. 6 years later it came true by conincidence when my family moved a town apart from hers in middle school, and then went to the same regional highschool. Our Mom’s were great resources for each other and would schedule our diabetes appointments together and share the drive from Cape Cod to Boston. There were many sleep overs as there were no worries, and no extra explaining to be done at drop off. I was the maid of honor in her wedding and I’m the god mother of her oldest son. She came to my 40th birthday this summer.

Although we don’t see each other regularly, I spoke to her just last night ~ 34 years after we first met.

Wow, what a great story, Deb! All of these are great stories. I’m still trying to figure out what I want to do with all of them, but I will contact the people who have responded if I think you’ll fit into a story I’m working on. Thanks again!