Should I be concerned about leg pain in 8 year old Type 1?

My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed in January with Type 1. She is on an omnipod pump. This week, she has been complaining of pain in both legs and stiffness. We were outside playing and she was walking like she was in a lot and pain. I had to give her a piggy back ride to our porch. :frowning: I thought this was a situation for people diagnosed for years. Her blood sugars are semi controlled but could be better. We are working with her endo to get them further down. She for the most part is in the 200’s alot :frowning: Should we go to urgent care or wait until the week to talk to the Endo. Is this normal at a young age? I am concerned and confused. Thanks

Not a doctor but I was told very early on by own pediatrician, trust your parent instincts. If you think something is wrong, call your doctor. And just because she has type 1 diabetes doesn’t mean this is diabetes related. We as people with diabetes do have other “normal people” problems. I would see if your pediatrician office has a sick clinic. Good luck!

6 Likes

I agree with @Sally7 , it may not be diabetes related, and to let doctor check it out.

4 Likes

Do you ever check her ketones? Stiffness/muscle aches are signs of DKA. You said her BG runs high so I would definitely get some ketone strips.

1 Like

When I was young, my first signs of diabetes was muscle pain in my legs. It comes from prolonged low sugars.

It’s doubtful it’s neuropathy.

She’s old enough for a cgm and I would definitely go down this path.

To be sure I would take her in to drill down on the issue.

1 Like

Muscle pain definitely goes along with high BG, but agree it could be something else entirely. If I go high, my thigh muscles lock up and I find it really difficult to walk.

1 Like

Hi! Thanks so much for the suggestions. We will call her pediatrician tomorrow. I do check ketones when she complains and she has not had any.

1 Like

My niece was having some leg pain years ago. She was active at the time so everyone just thought it was from being active or growing pains. She was getting in an SUV when another person decided to get in at the same time and she fell and hurt her hip. They did x-rays of her hip and back and come to find out she was born with some abnormalities of her spine that was the cause of the leg pain.

If she hurts push to get her checked. I have not a clue whether urgent care is needed. That’s just one of those judgements you have to make. Keep in mind urgent care isn’t always right…so no matter what follow up with her pediatrician Monday.

2 Likes

Get her to a pediatrician. At age 8 she could be in the sudden onset of Juvenile idiopathic arthritis JIA. It is unlikely (so do not panic) but often kids get arthritis suddenly and it can follow onset of another autoimmune condition.

I doubt this to be the case, but if it is, it is better to catch it as soon as possible.

2 Likes

First, take a deep breath. I know it’s hard not to panic—this is all so new to you and your daughter.

Next, as others have said, it could very well be something that isn’t diabetes-related. Sometimes when I get dehydrated I get leg cramps. Think about what was going on each time she said her legs hurt. Next time it happens, try giving her some fluids and see if that does anything.

Also, do you remember being a kid and having “growing pains,” because I sure do! I remember my legs aching. This was long before I was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 13. I’m not saying that’s what’s going on here. I’m just trying to reassure you a bit.

You are doing the best you can, but it may take some time to get blood sugars levels under control. It is hard, confusing, and scary. But you, and she, can do this! Remember you are not alone; you have a medical team, loved ones, and us (!) to help guide you.

6 Likes

Very sensible, Lisa.

1 Like

contents removed by original author

1 Like

Thank you, it is so important to not feel alone, I’m learning nobody really understands, so this group is tremendous help!

1 Like

Thanks everyone!! This group is the best!

1 Like

Yes, my youngest non-diabetic daughter suffered from leg pain throughout her childhood from the bones growing. But, getting checked out is always best.

3 Likes

For what its worth. I was diagnosed age 10. Soon after had similar leg pains. Wen to endo, GP, etc. Tests, etc. Went to a podiatrist who immediately made orthotics ( in 1970 this was not a common thing) I was no longer in pain and have worn orthotics all my life. Back in the 70s we never knew how to keep BGs good. No blood testing except every few months at endo office. Hope this may help.

5 Likes