Site infection and antibiotics

After 33 years doing MDI, I finally got a pump (Omnipod) a few weeks ago. So far I love it, but I managed to get an infusion site infection on only my 5th pod or so :frowning: It was quite red, raised and puffy and about 2ā€ across so I went to the doctor who gave me a round of clindamycin. Anyone else been given oral antibiotics for a site infection and have it be effective? How long did it take to kick in? Iā€™ve been on them for a day and a half and not seeing any noticeable improvement yet, and the red area has continued to grow (but more slowly I think). Trying to get an idea of how long it might take to see it improving, and when I should go see my own doctor if Iā€™m not seeing it get better.

In over 30 years of pumping, Iā€™ve only had one infusion site infection. It was red and inflamed in an egg-shaped raised mound. My doctor referred me to a vascular surgeon. The surgeon lanced it and I did take some follow-up antibiotics. It resolved nicely.

On a side note, and this may not contain anything meaningful for you, I took clindamycin for a dental infection and was left with a difficult to shake c-dificile infection. I was told by a pharmacist at the time that clindamycin was notorious for this.

I think if your site infection doesnā€™t start to look better with reduced swelling and redness within a few days, I would talk to the doctor again. I imagine your blood glucose is higher and harder to control with the infection-induced insulin resistance. Hyperglycemia is fertile ground for infections to get worse. Watch this closely!

Thanks for the reply Terry!

Iā€™m on clindamycin since I have an allergy to most penicillins - I have taken it before without issue so hopefully this time will be ok too. Does not sound fun about the c dificile!

Iā€™m going to give it till tomorrow (48 hours) and if no improvement will go see my doc. The area does have a hard lumpy area under the site wound that I suspect may need lancing :frowning:

Fortunately my blood sugars havenā€™t been unusually elevated, which I take as a hopeful sign maybe the antibiotics are working and/or the infection isnā€™t too severe.

For me, this would be a hopeful sign that the infection is in retreat. When I have any infection, my blood glucose trends very high and resists correction. Good luck treating this!