Six years already?

Well… yesterday was my “Diaversary.” Six years ago yesterday, I was diagnosed with diabetes at age 50. Lots of things have changed in ther last six years. My diagnosis was bounced back and forth between Type 2 and Type 1, is settled on Type 1, now. Whereas I originally refused to test my BG with fingersticks, I now test 3-10 times a day and wear a cgm. I gained a lot of weight once going on insulin, but following the “recommended diet;” I eat low carb now, and have been fighting to get my weight back where it was. I wear an insulin pump, having gone through three different pumps now.

In addition, I have a different and better job, have earned a Master’s degree. Three of my kids have recently graduated college and have jobs. My youngest just graduated high school.My mother, who managed to convince me to treat my BG, is gone now. My two older kids are now married. And I have my first grandchild on the way. Oh yeah, we got a cat.

Life is definitely different since being diagnosed. I do see doctors FAR more often (as opposed to “almost never” before diagnosis). I manage to use all sorts of needles, despite my fear. I take “medications” other than aspirin and ibuprofen. My food is different and I think about nutrition a lot more. But, truly, the big changes in my life were clearly NOT diabetes-related. Life has been moving along and presenting big, important changes along the way. Happiness and sorrow. Diabetes may seem like a central theme to me, but in the big picture, it’s just a small spot on the tapestry of life.

I suppose this perspective makes it appropriate that my diaversary is also my birthday.

[Originally posted on BT1]

20 Likes

Happy diaversary, but more to the point, happy birthday @Thas! :cake::balloon:

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story. Happy Birthday, Thas. Enjoy the day.

3 Likes

Happy birthday and diaversary! I know how hard you’ve worked to calibrate your efforts into good diabetes habits. More importantly, you’ve been able to integrate your new diabetes routines into your life and still keep your priorities straight.

6 Likes

Geez, I remember him when he was still a T2. Good times…

4 Likes

Congrats. Happy bday and happy diaversary. Looks like you got DIABETES under your thumb. Good for you.

Six years type 1 and 3 pumps already? Why? Which pumps have you used? My insurance will only cover every 4 years.

1 Like

Not to answer for @Thas but he and I both had a sojourn on the innovative but sadly short-lived Assante Snap, so that accounts for one.

2 Likes

I got “lucky” and started with the Asante Snap, as @DrBB mentioned. When Asante went out of business, I opted for Omnipod’s offer. I tried Omnipod for almost 3 months, but had some issues with it, so, before Animas’ trade-in offer expired, I switched to the Animas Vibe…

… and the game continues – I could easily be on a Medtronics pump tomorrow, if I accept their offer. That would be 4 pumps in 3 years…

2 Likes

It occurs to me that, for the same reason, I’ve been on three pumps in five years, so I’ve got you beat there. I’m actually on my first post-670G pump now, which would bump me up to four in five years, except that I didn’t get a new one, just went back to my previous one, which is actually my first one. Or rather it’s the same model as my first one, but it’s a replacement that I got when my first one got the dreaded button freeze two years ago. So… how many is that again?

3 Likes

Too many. But at least there’ve been choices. I worry these days that choices are diminishing.

3 Likes

Got that right. And there’s a lot more anxiety about having to make the choice because of the fear of ending up with an “orphaned” version of a device you depend on to stay alive. Which pushes people toward the safe choice (MedT) even if it’s not necessarily the best choice. Which only makes it harder for outside innovators to break in. Still, there are some promising challengers coming down the pike, so it’s not all bleak.

3 Likes

You could put that on fridge magnets and retire early.

Happy Birthday!

5 Likes

I’m compelled to wish you happy birthday, Thas, because I too was diagnosed 6 years ago on my birthday, at age 53. I was all T1 from the get-go; luckily my primary care doctor figured it out right away. I’ve had some wonderful role models and support IRL since then, and also online through Tu (where I mostly lurk). I feel like I can handle this, and in fact, am stronger and more resilient than pre-Dx. Onward, and best wishes, fellow traveler.

3 Likes

I appreciate when others take on the new stuff and report their experiences. It took me over 15 years to give up NPH, REG MDI, and consider a pump. And that was only after meeting other T1s at in person support groups. It meant a lot more hearing their experiences, rather than the way the endo described it.

For over 20 years, I have only used Medtronic, but I think the next one I will seriously consider a change!!

2 Likes

Hello @Thas, I’m pleased to hear that you are giving your type 1 more attention in recent years. Congrats on your birthday and diaversary! I have been pumping for almost 11 years, and have started my third Medtronic pump. My insurance allows a new pump every 5 years. I intend to use a Tandem pump integrated with the Dexcom CGM the next time I change.

2 Likes

If they could work out the reason Apidra fails in their pumps, I’d consider Tandem - as it is, though, I think I’ll look elsewhere.

1 Like

I like your perspective. You did not become your “disease”-it just blended into your life. Thanks for sharing…

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing Thas–you are among my favorite voices in this community. Be well with everything in your life!

2 Likes

Happy Belated Birthday/Diaversary, @Thas! And, thank you for sharing your story and, through the years here, all of your trials and triumphs! You’ve helped me in many ways with your posts!

Good for you! I have had d since the age of 22 moths; HAVE A 630g PUMP, HAD A HEART ATTCK, BRAIN INJURY, NEAR DEATH SCOOTERAND FAST CAR ACCIDENT(DRIVER TEXTING). I TALK TO gOD ALL THE TIME. I AM luky to be alive. My brain has regained almost everything. Diabetes sucks but I am FINE. I cannot feel my feet; trouble walking but I am so smart and worth all the adversity; it has made me a force to be reckoned with. Glad you have accepted d- it is the only way.