Smart Insulin

I was wondering if anyone has heard about trials like this before, or if anyone has any idea as to how the “Smart Insulin” works?

If you do a search (look for the magnifying glass in the upper right) for the terms “Smart Insulin” you will find a number of discussions including descriptions of how it works.

I couldn’t follow your link due to sloooow internet connection speeds. My memory of the concept of smart insulin was of a large injection of insulin that was coated with a substance that eroded in the presence of a certain trigger amount of glucose in the blood. Below that trigger amount the coated insulin would not be released to do its thing while above that trigger level the package would release its insulin payload. In effect it would do the same thing a healthy pancreas does.

The smart insulin could be administered once a day or even once per week if this concept could be delivered in reality. It would be a brilliant solution but not without risk. What would happen if exposure to an occasional virus eroded all insulin coating? Then you would experience a lethal overdose. This idea will have to undergo sufficient testing to be proven safe.

Sorry if I’m totally off the topic here but I find this concept especially exciting.

Not off topic at all! I am totally with you that this concept is very exciting. I really hadn’t heard of this until recently–but after a search in this site–nothing had really been talked about for a while. Thanks for the explanation.