Software Development (?)

Hi Joe,

I came across your article and I am very interested in what you are trying to develop. My 12 year old son is just about to go onto a cozmo pump. We’re a mac family and I find it quite frustrating that there is no mac support by pharm companies. Unfortunately I am not a programmer (although I would love to learn) and therefore have no development experience.
In addition to a couple of macbooks, we also have my sister’s old windows machine which is used only for downloading BGL data from my son’s meter. I doubt whether it would be able to handle the cozmo software. So i’m keen to find some mac stuff and be rid of windows.
Anyway Joe, I would like to follow and encourage your development of mac software. Maybe I might be able to learn some development skills and assist?? who knows.
cheers
James Vella

I would be interested in helping with this development as an Iphone user and Type I diabetic and someone who at least directs others in software development (don’t code much myself)

I would LOVE to get my iPhone to see my sensor data! I know Animas is doing the OneTouch Ping to work in Macs, and I’m on a Minimed 722 w/minilink transmitter/sensor. I currently have to boot into windblows to send my pump/meter data to the CareLink site, as that doesn’t even work in VMWare FUSION or Parallels.

Have you tried to join the dev sites and forums at APPLE itself? It’s worth a shot (Or 2) to see if there’d be help with this.

Great responses & I would love assist in any testing or give any more feedback if needed. I have a MacBook Pro Intel Duo Core and in about a month I will have a new iPhone too. I use the Minimed Paradigm Pump 715 with the Carelink. I have VMWare for Windows XP installed but it seems to be a bit flaking whenever I have tried to use it with downloading my pump. I had Parallels installed previously but I didn’t like how it updated and bogged down.

Overall any applications to help us track our information would be neat or have our pumps talk to our computers (Macs) would be awesome :slight_smile:

Why not consider Java? IF you really want to create a revolutionary product for DM patients and physicians, why would you limit it to the 10% of computers that run OS X?
Sure, the iPhone won’t run Java but it does have a full browser and a server-based option would be nice for such a product.

I would love to see an iPhone/Mac application. As a current pump shopper I have already given in to the fact they will have to run windows to track everything. I have been on a mac for 8 years and have not had the need to run anything through windows til now. But I do have to agree with Eric, at least for now. But I reserve the right to change my opinion in the future b/c we know it is only a matter of time before Steve Jobs rules the world!

One of my favorite apps is actually a web app. RememberTheMilk.com is a great web app for managing your tasks and highly customizable, etc… Point is, it is accessible from anywhere, any computer, and even offline if you have google gears installed.

So yes interested. Can I help? I am more of a savvy user than developer and would love to test and help in anyway that I could.

This is a fantastic idea… I would love to see food lists available on the app as well. On my iphone the calorieking.com site is usable but can be confusing.

I am a new iPhone user. Been a crackberry addict since the first one was released as a 2 line text messenger lol… anyway I would be interested. I have a backfground in application development but my knowledge is highly outdated as I haven’t been in that field for over 10 years. My last programming was VB lol.

I’m not a programmer, but I am a mac owner. We use Macs at work and I fell in love. When my IBM laptop died after 6 abusive years, I decided to go the macbook route. I’m very disappointed that the pump and meter companies don’t have mac versions. I’d be very interested to see what you guys come up with!

Joe,

I’m also a software developer for mac and iphone. Will be getting my minimed 722 next week and would love it if my iphone and mac were able to converse with it. I went looking for an iphone app to keep my data, but what I found was lacking in usable features.

I started down the path of creating a simple app that would just calculate my basal and bolus rates, my correction dosages for me. You can contact me through my profile email.

Kim Black
President/CBW
Business Agility Company

Any updates on this project?

Hi Terry, I’m Silvia ( diabetic), from Spain, and I’m working in diabetes projects in computer engineer.
Do you konw if exists any sensor in CGMS that transmitts the signal by bluetooth¿? HAve yo connected with this kind of devices with IPOD or iphone¿?
Than you very much,
Best Regards,
Silvia.
( Sorry about my english… :))

my friend has a great one it’s called glucose buddy. it’s on the itunes store. top rated program for diabetes…
They’re also conducting a 2 minute survey, and for every entry they receive they are going to donate $1 to either the JDRF or ADA.
Pretty great cause, I think. The survey link is on the front page of their webpage http://www.oneapponecause.com.

Also, he told me if you are one of the first forty participants they give you a code so that you can download their iPhone diabetes application for free and it usually goes for like 6 bucks, i already have the program (it’s awesome and i use it everyday).

well as a professional programmer i don’t fully agree with your opinion, but developing an app in cocoa is much easier than .net. that said developing applications in other open source languages might be convenient.

one particular thing i dont like about developing for the iphone is that you have to pay to develop software for the iphone without any guarantee your software is going to be approved for selling.

do you have an idea on what you want to develop? what kind of software? you just want to read the data from a particular meter/brand? i can help you if you want i’d be happy.

I would love to help if I could, I am a longtime mac user, but my last programming experience was with BASIC on a TRS-80 somewhere around 1982! There was a developer who I have spoken with in the past in the Czech Republic, Ernst Bablick (sp?), working to write linux code to receive information from one touch meters, I’m not sure where he stands now…

Either way, let us all know where things stand, and if you need any beta testing or brainstorming help.

-dan

I would definitely support it! I am mac all the way! I have one Windows machine in the house - and that’s for my hubby’s work, but I use the One Touch software so I can fax reports to my endo. I don’t have any skills in programming, but I’d volunteer to serve as a beta tester and fan!

Hello all,

Is this thread still alive? I’m very interested in this space and have talked to quite a few different companies in the industry (or who are trying to get in the industry). I’m really looking to pull together synergistic players for a comprehensive solution aimed at the end user requirements vs. just pandering to the insurance companies for the most part. It seems that there is a major divide between companies aimed at end users and those aimed at providers. A balance of the two would make sense to me as a business person and diabetic desperately wanting functional tools to take my disease managment to the next level…

Hello Joseph,
I’m sure you have TOO many interested parties already, but I thought I’d pitch in my 2 cents -
I was just diagnosed at 41 with Type 1 (no history in the family) and would LOVE to try some mac-software. I’m a teacher and I’ve been using a Blackberry for the last 5 years because the calendar and address-book synch with my Macs at home and school. I don’t use the “on-line” options as I am not interested in the distraction of constant wireless access at this point in my life, but I have been AMAZED at the lack of technology for diabetics, especially Mac users. Last summer I vowed I’d decide on a brand of pump by this time, hoping Dexcom and Animas would merge so I could use the newer technology and synch the info easily with my computer. Knowing that merge might be slow, I figured, at least by now, Medtronics would have some Mac-conversion software out and I’d get hooked up with an old pump and CGM through them. I know I am SO unlikey to ever find the time for hand-entered data. I haven’t kept any kind of log since the first month I was diagnosed. If I feel a little “out of control,” I scroll through my Mini-Ultra history for a rough idea of how I’m doing every 5 months or so ( :-|| Sure - I know I should be a “better diabetic,” but I’m busy being a teacher, a good friend, a wife, a neighbor, and enjoying the rest of life. It’s all I can do to make sure I have my cell-phone with calendar alarms set, MiniUltra, test-strips, Lantus, Humalog and needles with me everyday. As for “personal regiment” I’m maxed-out at AM vitamins and regular testing/dosing with meals! Otherwise grading, student-behavior logs, etc… keep me up all night and working through the weekend.

Since the day I was diagnosed I’ve been surprised there wasn’t a CGM/Pump-combo that synchs wirelessly with a cell phone. I will buy the whole package deal the day a reliable version of that comes on the market.

Good luck with your project -
MOST SINCEREST wishes for your success!

Heather

Joe,

What you’re trying to do is fantastic!

I’ve worked as a software development engineer for both Insulet and Medtronic MiniMed. I was part of the teams that developed the Medtronic MiniMed Guardian Real-Time CGMS as well as the OmniPod system. They both use wireless communication technology.

I currently don’t work for either company.

I’m shocked to hear that apparently your kid’s endocrinologist told you some misleading things about the OmniPod and doesn’t “like” it. That it does not communicate or behave like a “normal” pump??? Whatever that means… I wonder about his motivation about the “normal” statement. I also think the “like” part should be up to you and your kid. I don’t think he/she is very technology inclined. You should probably get a second opinion with another endocrinologist…

Anyways, back to the subject. Currently, as far as I know, no company (not Insulet, not Medtronic, etc) use a standard wireless communication protocol, such as Bluetooth. They use their own proprietary, less expensive, technology. When I worked for Medtronic MiniMed (1999-2000), Bluetooth was just starting. I suggested that when I worked at Insulet (2002-2007) but I wasn’t taken very seriously, unfortunately. It would have made the Pod (wearable device) more expensive.

We’ll have to wait until one of the current market players, or a new company, come up with such Bluetooth-enabled pump products. I’m the owner and founder of a new company, www.pancreum.com, which will be doing that. Unfortunately we still are in our early stages and our products won’t be available for another 2 years, at least. We will have wearable devices called “wedges” that will be Bluetooth enabled. We have mechanically redesigned the product to be able to make it Bluetooth enable and be LESS expensive than the Insulet “pods”. Unfortunately, the market will have to wait a couple of years to see it.

I wish you the best with your project. I’m sure that by now (2010) iyou should have accomplished quite a bit. I’d like to hear back from you with an update.

Best regards,
Gil DePaula

Joe,

Where are you on development on apps for the Iphone that have help manage diabetes? I would like to help brainstorm. I have some ideas about apps.
Let me know.

Thank you,
Ron