South American Food

I'm going to South America to study for an extended period. But I'm trying to loose weight! Taco Bell type food doesn't particularly appeal to me, although some of the food is okay.

As a T1, any suggestions on a diet down there? I will have access to a kitchen for breakfast and supper. I have heard that the sea food in Valparaiso is out of this world. I do have a Pump, but I've stopped using it because of skin problems with all the available infusion sets.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

dude, all of south america, well, none of south america, eat taco bell. if youre talking about the corn tortillas and the carby legumes, i hear you.

if youve got access to a kitched for breakfast and supper, then you just have to worry about lunch. they will have plenty of produce, fish and meat. if in doubt, you can always prepare your lunch in your kitchen at brekkie time and youll know what youre eating.

it can really cause a bit of a freak out, not being in control of your food, but if youre there for a while, youll eventually figure out what works for you with regards to some of the foods that are different to your diet in your home country.

good luck and have a great time!

I have to echo what was written below. Taco Bell is NOT an example of South American food, not by a far stretch. You might want to try some basic research of South American food and culture before you leave. It would help with the transition. I'm pretty sure you'll eat healthier in South America than you've ever eaten in this country.

Much of South American food is healthy and nothing like what you think of as "Mexican" food here in the U.S.. Nopales (cactus) is very good for diabetics. If you have the opportunity to try it, I suggest you do.

Eucritta, that description sounds amazing. Now I'm hungry.

I did eat tortillas/tacos etc. in Cancun, Mexico and other South American countries have them too according to the link, it is an ancient Mayan dish apparently or pretty old anyway. But I'm sure there are plenty of other alternatives, I can't really remember the food that much but I had some fahitas which were delicious. I unfortunately became very ill while I was there with something, the runs etc. as well as a rash from seaweed in the water and I had to take an antibiotic when I came home with severe stomach cramps, so I would be careful if you are susceptible to stomach bugs etc. Some people have told me to take an antibiotic a day or charcoal pills to avoid this. I actually love that food but for the most part it is way too high carb for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortilla

Mexico is not part of South America.

But bottom line is if you are living in a South American country on an extended basis my guess is you will have cooking facilities. When I lived in Guatemala (Central America) I pretty much cooked similar foods to what I eat in the U.S.

Well, my geography is not so great sometimes, lol. But apparently some people dispute whether is is north america or central america and central American countries do make tortillas also etc.

I would also guess you can make your own food of course but one of the nice things about traveling is sampling the restaurant food wherever you are too. I'm sure there were plenty of choices in Cancun other than what I ate but I love that food so that was mostly what I ate from what I remember.

Where in South America are you traveling? I have traveled extensively through Chile, Peru, Bolivia and have lived in Uruguay and currently, Argentina. I found that foods within inland Peru and Bolivia, in particular, tend to be carb heavy but there is great meat available anywhere you go and equally great seafood available all throughout Chile and Coastal Peru. It is not like Mexican or Tex-Mex at all. There are also plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables available wherever you go.

If you are part of a tour, I suggest talking with your tour provider and/or leader about your dietary needs and I'm sure they will be able to provide suggestions. Best of luck.

My favorite South American food is a giant Ribeye steak with a glass of Malbec in Buenos Aires, or maybe grilled seafood in Rio. :-)

No matter where you are, just check yourself a lot.

While I'm not meaning any offense, we take for granted our emergency medical services here in the US. Don't count on it somewhere else. When I've eaten in other parts of the world, I just tend to be real careful.

From my travels in Chile, Brazil and Argentina I found that the local food there was generally a lot healthier, less processed and fresher, than anything you'll find at South American related fast food joints in North America.