SSRI/SNRI causes T1D?

I like that Diabetes Strong article that you link to. I like its general positive tenor and balanced perspective.

I do take issue with the idea that you can never win when you fight diabetes. This is a semantic fine point and doesn’t degrade the advice given in the article.

When I was able to accept my diabetes completely, I built that acceptance on the basis that I would fight diabetes and win. I never measured my success on the absolute impossibility of curing my diabetes but on the idea that I could minimize its effect on my life by managing my glucose levels fairly close to the non-diabetic normal range.

Once I started to manage my glucose levels to closer to normal, I realized that my body feeling better helped with my overall mood and disposition. Managing my glucose levels to be closer to normal produced in me a sense of accomplishment and pride. The old adage that nothing succeeds like success certainly applied to my situation!

The fighting that I was doing was with diabetes, not myself. Not everyone will see your management style in the same terms as you. I’ve been criticized by some that I’ve become a professional patient and let diabetes management consume my life.

What these critics don’t see is the regenerative effect that good glucose management gives me. Low glucose variability enhances well-being and produces in me something I call metabolic sanity.

When you compare how you feel when you’ve experienced a day or two or seven of glucose variability as measured by standard deviation of 20 mg/dL to days spent at say, 50 mg/dL, the difference is palpable.

Swinging blood sugars that dive into threatening hypoglycemia only to be quickly reversed by over treatment and bouncing to 200+ mg/dL hyperglycemia tires me just by writing about it! I call this situation metabolic mayhem.

Whatever mind game or metaphor works for you, just use it to calm your metabolic life and channel that energy to sustain your good tactics and minimize your bad ones.

4 Likes

Any other people with thoughts on this? My best friend who is very wise also thinks like me that the consumption of antidepressants brought on my diabetes. Why did I take these unnecessary meds?

I have never heard of any research or connection with type 1 and those particular drugs. Truth is nobody knows for sure what causes type one in each person. The main common thread is probably having auto immune diseases in your family. And then something triggers it whether it is a specific virus is not clear, but it has been proven I think for one or two, and there can be multiple factors that can play a role.

What happens is your body starts producing large numbers of T cells which mistakenly attack your beta cells while attacking most likely a virus or something else and then eventually you have no insulin production left. So whatever causes it if we knew how to stop that attack we would have a real cure. But after many years of studying this no one has come up with anything that can stop the attack in type one or many other autoimmune syndromes.

So if those drugs made you feel ill or did something they could’ve played a role but I wouldn’t say that they caused it. I think the one thing that is known is that you have to have hereditary auto immune predisposition. So the drugs alone would not cause it imo if you don’t have the predisposition. And on the other hand whatever you felt when you were taking them could also not be related, there is no way to know really for sure.

That does not mean that anyone in your family had to have type one diabetes or any type of diabetes. It just means that some of them had any autoimmune diseases. So that if you have a virus and or other factors you can then be triggered to start the auto immune attack on the beta cells which causes type one. Stress can be a factor as well.

I did take low doses of a tricyclic drug for chronic pain for 5 years and I believe that it had an affect on my health. It affected my Gastro problems, and affected my weight, affected my whole sleeping pattern and I believe it may have triggered my Hashimoto’s or at least set up a situation for that to start happening. I also started going into early menopause around that time. I also went through what seemed like a terrible withdrawal when I stopped taking it. I lost 20 pounds at least and started having terrible upper gastro issues. That was all a long before type 1 happened for me.

There were many other factors for me closer to when it happened as well, being vegetarian and then a vegan diet especially, ebv virus reactivation, eating gluten and having ibs for many years also. I also had undiagnosed Hashimoto’s for a long time probably which my father also had.

We have a strong history of autoimmune diseases in my family with asthma, Graves’ disease, RA, Hashimoto’s and now type one and I also have eczema and others. Both my paternal uncle and now his son died from a rare form of lung cancer that I think has hereditary causes as well. Pregnancy or attempting pregnancy and hormonal changes often can cause it for many women because diabetes of all types comes on then. Type one causes early menopause which happened to me.

Unfortunately whatever caused it there is currently no way to stop the attack. I do know of one person who I met online who was in a study in Brazil. He had chemotherapy and then was given stem cells- he was a type one for probably about two years before this and he is now off insulin for several years and does not have to take anti-rejection drugs. However this is the only person I have ever encountered who has essentially been cured if you can call it that. So he would be the closest to a true cure, he still uses a dexcom to monitor is bg. I would guess for him the chemotherapy somehow stopped the autoimmune reaction.

I believe there are also people if they get some of these novel treatments very early on who have been cured or what seems like a cure in that they don’t need insulin.

I read one account of a young woman who said her sister became type one, she was in hospital, and then about a year later she didn’t need insulin anymore. That was one account that seemed totally believable to me.

It was verifiable that this person had type one and then something had somehow stopped the auto immune attack. So there could be people who are starting to get type one, maybe they never get to the point where they are diagnosed or get to a hospital or whatever and somehow their body stops the attack.

This is a little bit similar to what happens with rabies virus maybe. There is a doctor who developed a treatment which saved I believe now two young women who had rabies, two of only seven people to survive the virus worldwide once it became symptomatic in the neurosystem.

He said he believes actually that about 25% of people who are exposed to rabies fight the virus off on their own. There was some proof of this because some people in a study in an area in Peru where there are a lot of bats had rabies antibodies who had never been vaccinated and also had never gotten to the point in the virus where death would occur. So It is likely they had exposure and somehow fought the virus off on their own before it progressed.

He also said that he did not think his treatment was the only factor in their recovery. I would have to reread what he wrote about that, it was a few years ago and I don’t remember exactly what he said. What he did was to put them into an induced coma and give them antivirals which also included I believe the rabies vaccine as well as supportive treatments. I think he believes the coma slows down the progression the virus and gave them time for their body to start fighting it more.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. All comments are very much appreciated. This is very much on my mind. It makes me feel horrible that I could’ve avoided this painful disease

1 Like

I keep thinking why else in the world would I deserve this disease. To me it’s almost certain that if I weren’t to take the antidepressant I wouldn’t be where I am now.

1 Like

It is not a matter of deserving anything. No one deserves to get a disease. Without having a predisposition to possible autoimmune diseases it is unlikely the drug alone could cause it. There are probably multiple factors involved including a virus. No one really knows for sure what causes it.

I definitely wish I could go back in time and change things that I think contributed to me getting type 1. Unfortunately once you have it it is pretty much impossible to get rid of it at this stage in time anyway.

2 Likes

You make a good point. We type1 have more of a condition than a disease.

We’ve lost our beta cells, and we need to adapt.
It’s like someone losing an arm, having a tough time getting through life in a 2 handed world. But we don’t call that a disease.

1 Like

Anybody else with your thoughts on this

1: people don’t get a disease because they “deserve” it. Even smokers with lung cancer. In smoking and lung cancer, at least there’s a reasonable causal chain, however

2: stressful times almost certainly influence your immune system, so conceivably could trigger T1D. Not the same as “cause”

3: I’m aware that some antipsychotic medications may cause T2DM

4: the idea that SSRI or SNRI meds causes T1D is a big stretch. Autoimmune T1D is a misdirected attack of one’s own immune system against a defined tissue. Other types of insulin deficiency include surgical (removal of pancreas) or inflammatory (pancreatitis) and of course T2D with a pancreas that burn out.

We all want to have as much control as we can, but we don’t really control anything. We do our best to take care of ourselves and our diabetes and hopefully learn to live a day at a time.

For me, 30 years in, I’m still trying to learn.

2 Likes

No one in this world “deserves” this disease. I was diagnosed type 1 in 1960s at age 5. No other Type 1s in extended family.
My mom read an article that breast fed babies are less likely to get Type 1 diabetes. She had a breast infection and Dr told her to stop breast feeding me. She felt guilty she may have caused it. Should I blame her??? NO!!!

There is no proof, and it wouldn’t change anything if it was a factor.

4 Likes

Our mother breast fed us and it obviously did not prevent me from getting type 1.

My Dad is convinced the SNRI caused it. He warned me against taking them. I guess we’ll never know. Added stress to add to this stressful disease.

Even if it did cause your type one which we all said there’s no way it would be the only cause, I think it could’ve played a role, there is nothing you can do about it now you, are stuck with type one for the rest of your life unfortunately.

However I would warn people who may have hereditary autoimmune conditions in their family that maybe they should try another antidepressant and not one that does have some immune modulating aspects. The problem is there are numerous drugs which could also have that effect. Sometimes you need to take these drugs sometimes maybe not. I definitely would not take Elavil ever again, in fact when I have tried to take more antidepressants after I went through that withdrawal I get a terrible reaction to them and I cannot tolerate them anymore.

There are studies that indicate breastfed infants have lower risk of Type 1, but not zero risk.

In my case, in 1965, the current baby formulas did not exist. Not sure what my Mom fed me, possibly cows milk or evaporated milk. More recent formulas may provide better nourishment and reduced risk.

diabetesincontrol.com/breastfeeding-helps-to-prevent-type-1-diabetes/#:~

1 Like

I thought better of my comment about this discussion - Mark me in the corner observing, I promise

1 Like

You really think it played a role? What a shame

I don’t think the studies showed a causative relationship.

I don’t think it caused me to get type one, but it definitely affected my health negatively and my endocrine system, I am talking about elavil here. Maybe it set the stage. I also think birth control pills played a role in all of this. As for type one I think there were more specific things going on at the time. Reactivation of Epstein-Barr virus, incredible stress, car accident, I felt like my whole body was being attacked I had symptoms in my eyes and my bladder etc.- inflammation everywhere.

I believe at the time it’s entirely possible that I was infected with some other type of infection that influenced it as well. However if I did not have the hereditary traits of auto immunity I don’t think I would’ve gotten type one. That doesn’t mean I don’t wish that I had avoided a lot of these things if I could have. My case is a very specific story and I am not going discuss it here on an online forum.

Believe me I would do anything in the world to get rid of this disease or to have stopped it. It’s a nightmare for me. And has ruined my life. The first thing I would change is to have my family never have come to this country. This is a society that causes nonstop stress for people here unless they are wealthy- I mean really wealthy. You have the misfortune to get an awful disease here and suddenly you are maybe going to die and go bankrupt from trying to pay for the meds and tools you need to stay alive. And in addition suddenly you have to have nonstop relationships with numerous healthcare providers who impose on your life. Some can be very helpful but it is still an invasion of your life and your privacy.

Google to find more, many studies have been done on these subjects.

Bottom line is nobody will ever know if the medicine played a role in my diabetes development…I will have to live with the guilt my entire life. Thank you