Story about dogs trained to detect low blood sugars

I actually saw a news story close to a year ago, where some guy’s dog got him medical help he needed. The guy was suffering from a hypoglycemic reaction.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13439261

http://www.revver.com/video/268063/dog-saves-mans-life-from-diabetic-coma/

I assumed it was just a random occurrence, but the cover article on latest issue of Diabetes Forecast talks about specifically training dogs to detect low blood sugars. The training for the dogs is something like $20,000. But they are apparently popular for diabetics that have are asymptomatic – these dogs are detecting hypoglycemia in their owners at the very beginning of the plunge, before it even becomes dangerous. Anyway, I’m not doing the article justice in my describing it, but it really is very interesting if you get the chance to read it.

Jen,
My dog does detect my lows and highs and she hasn’t even been trained to do it. She can detect my lows before they actually come up on me and she won’t quit licking me or nudging me until I check and eat.

I just recently have been using insulin after years of not being in good control I have a pit bull (Cujo yeah yeah the grandkids named him) when I was wondering why he was nipping at me when I was low, I wonder if he knew it…Gives me something to think of…

I think one of the original trainers of diabetes assistance dogs is Heaven Scent Paws This program was featured on dLife TV.

For other options, check out Assistance Dogs International This organization accredits member organizations/businesses that train and place service dogs, and has a certain number of standards for their behavior and performance. If you go to the “members” link and then click on the link for “Hearing and Service Dog Providers” and follow out the links, you will find that a number of service dog providers do provide diabetes assistance dogs.

A third option would be to train your own. You may want to research through the International Association of Assistance Dog Partners . Also, a colleague of mine who trains her own assistance dogs has some resources about service/assistance dogs on her Web site, http://sdog.danawheels.net/ From what Dana says on her site, training assistance dogs is not for the faint of heart, but it if you are willing to put forth the effort, it can be very rewarding.

My dog actually wakes me up at night when I am low. The first time he did it he just was hit by a car and had to have his leg amputated. 2 days after the surgery he somehow stood up, and came over to my bed whining. I thought there was something wrong with him since he just had his leg cut off, but as soon as I jumped out of bed I felt the low. Once I grabbed my test kit he layed back on the floor and went to sleep. I was at 32. I called my mom to come in because my sugar would not come up and once it did I told her what he did. She could hardly believe that he was able to get up. He was not able to walk for about a week after the surgery except for that night he came to wake me up.

I have since moved out of my moms and into my own place and it was manditory he came with me.

I have been adjusting my basal rates lately and I think I am making him mad as it is going low more during this testing phase. lol I dont think he enjoys waking up… like his owner.

Stay away from HSP as they have been sued 18 times by the Attorney General of Missouri for fraud (providing dogs that are partially trained or completely untrained and for providing dogs that are totally unsuitable to become service dogs (too aggressive, too timid, etc.)