Sulfur Intolerance

So, For a long while (years…almost my entire life) I’ve suffered from chronic nausea and vomiting. As a child it wasn’t so bad, but, of course, the periodic unexplained nausea and vomiting was blamed on my uncontrolled diabetes. Well, in very recent years, I’d say the past two years, the nausea and vomiting has become much more frequent. I’m nauseous on and off all day everyday and vomit two or three times a week!

I thought it was related to my gastroparesis, but then I was tested and found out the gastroparesis is not very bad (stomach emptying is only delayed about ten minutes or so).

Then, about a month or so ago, more strange symptoms started. I began to have egg (sulfur) smelling urine, burps, flatulence, and even sweat!

I looked it all up online and the only thing I could find is a sulfur foods intolerance (red meat, eggs, onion, garlic, asparagus, etc.), apparently people with this issue cannot digest these foods properly. I cut way down on these foods and feel a million times better.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions? Since this problem seems to have been with me most of my life I am wondering why it has suddenly gotten so much worse. Gastroparesis? Medications aggravating it?

1 Like

I’m glad that helped you to eliminate those foods. I have had ibs for many years and have never been able to figure out which foods may be affecting it except for a small number… things like aspartime and artificial sweetners affect me a great deal. Otherwise it seems to be randoma and varied and changes.

1 Like

Did you know that up to 10% of TD1 patients develop celiac disease? Celiac Disease symptoms can wax and wane making a diagnosis more difficult. My main symptom at the time of my diagnosis was anemia. With intestinal damage, celiacs can develop various food intolerances.

Consider getting tested for celiac disease. It is a simple blood test (antibodies) that your doctor should be recommending to you.

http://www.csaceliacs.org/diabetes_and_celiac_disease_fact_sheet.jsp

Thanks, I’ll talk to my doctor about it.