Sunday Dinner with Family and Friends

We had company over for dinner on Sunday, so I made a family favorite: Chicken Marabella with Mediterranean bean salad and tossed spring salad. Is there any better way to enjoy the company of family and friends than around food? I suspect not :slight_smile: .Because I had a couple of glasses of wine with the meal, I decreased my insulin bolus about 15%.

Chicken Marabella is a great recipe from The Silver Palette Cook Book. It is one of those never-fail easy dishes that always is a winner for entertaining. It goes like this:

CHICKEN MARABELLA
3 chickens (9 lbs) quartered
1 entire head garlic
1/4 c. dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. olive oil
1 c pitted prunes
1/2 c. pitted Spanish olives
1/2 c. capers
6 bay leaves
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. white wine
1/4 c. finely chopped Parsley

Directions:
Peel and finely puree the garlic. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except brown sugar, wine and parsley. Cover and let marinate in the fridge overnight. Preheat oven to 350F. Arrange chicken in a single layer in shallow baking pans. Spoon marinade over the chicken. Sprinkle chicken pieces with brown sugar. Pour white wine around the chicken. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices. Can be served hot or room temperature.

MEDITERRANEAN BEAN SALAD

This is my own recipe, which changes depending on what’s in the cupboard/fridge. It is very high fiber, and I find it easy on the bgl’s.

Combine the following:
1 can Primo black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can Primo lentils, rinsed and drained
1 can Primo garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 large stalks celery, diced
1 large bell pepper, diced
1 or 2 carrots, grated
½ red onion, diced
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in halves
1 c. pitted Kalamati olives
½ c. crumbled feta cheese
½ cup Canola or extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 1 squeezed lemon or use balsamic vinegar
1 tsp crushed garlic
2 tsp cumin spice
Oregano, basil, salt & pepper to taste

SPRING SALAD
A large bowl of spring greens tossed with some sliced strawberries, lemon juice, olive oil, and fresh cracked black pepper and sea salt. Simple, and delish!

Maureen…Thanks for sharing your healthful menu and recipes. I entertained his past weekend and used it as an excuse to “cheat.” I have T1 and one of our guests has T2. He was delighted to have an excuse to indulge, as well. I would have been way the more considerate hostess and much better off for preparing a meal like yours. Thanks for the inspiration.

Why thank you, Elaine!