Switching back to Metformin

I cant afford the Trulicity anymore at $2200 for 4 Pins, any thoughts on switching back to Metformin? Thanks.

I can’t provide any insight on Trulicity v. Metformin, but have you researched the possibility of using the Trulicity savings card?

Info on savings card.

There are other Trulicity type drugs like Victoza. Victoza must be taken once a day instead of weekly. Byduron is a once weekly form of Byetta.

Check out these other options, who knows, maybe they are less expensive.

Thanks for the Tip Gary,checked those with my Humana Price checker and they are about the same or just a couple bucks difference. Back to the old Metformin I guess. All the pins are very expensive. I just wish I had not let my Dr start me on these pins. It puts me in the Donut hole in about 3 Months.

Thanks for link to the savings card but it says if you have Medicare or governmental insurance it wont work. Its basically for low income people with no insurance.

Although you can’t use it because you’re apparently on Medicare, it’s specifically for people who do have insurance. It’s invalid for people without insurance:

“This offer is invalid for patients without commercial insurance coverage or those whose prescription claims for Trulicity are eligible to be reimbursed, in whole or in part, by any governmental program, including, without limitation, Medicaid, Medicare, Medicare Part D, Medigap, DOD, VA, TRICARE®/CHAMPUS, or any State Patient or Pharmaceutical Assistance Program.”

When I Click on the fine print (Eligibility requirement ) it says:

This offer is invalid _ for patients without commercial insurance coverage or those whose prescription claims for Trulicity are eligible to be reimbursed, in whole or in part, by any governmental program, including, without limitation, Medicaid, Medicare, Medicare Part D, Medigap, DOD, VA, TRICARE®/CHAMPUS, or any State Patient or Pharmaceutical Assistance Program
So yes I’m excluded and its invalid because I’m on Medicare so you must have commercial insurance right?

Yes, as I said, people with medicare cannot use it, but people with regular commercial insurance can and in fact are the only people who can use it.

Good question, i’m not using the same thing but besides this i would like to turn back to metformin… still don’t know what to do… others are too expensive. I was searching for an answer on https://onlinepharmacyreviews.org , and i really hope that I’m going to find out something good enough!

I hate to see you take a step back in your treatment. It is a harsh reality of the screwed up healthcare situation in this country. Have you talked with your doctor about this, how were your numbers when still on Metformin, If you must go back maybe he can help you with a different treatment plan.

Actually I Had a good A1C (6.1) but the stuff is hard on your GI system ,bad diarrhea ect. My Dr doesn’t know what the Donut hole is so his nurse explained it to him.So my Dr has been giving me samples but this wont last much longer. I am going to ask him again Monday for more. Metformin is free at Publix here. I have another 6 weeks before my next A1C test.
The Trulicity and 1 Glipizide keeps it down to 120. Thanks

CVS said it takes off up to $150.00 but at a cost of $800.00 that wouldn’t help me anyway.

My Pastor said he uses insulin injection and only pays $20.00 for the vials. But no pins only needles. Is this an option for Type 2 straight insulin injections? I thought insulin was only for TYPE 1? Cause for $20.00 I can tolerate a needle especially since I have a big spare tire.

Insulin is often used in type 2 but doctors often want to exhaust all other options. Most general practitioners are not comfortable prescribing it, which is silly

I am t2 and I use insulin via a pump.

1 Like

In my diabetes career I went through the gamut of medications, including Byetta and Victoza which are in the same class of drugs as Trulicity. In 2010 I started insulin. Finally after starting insulin I actually good control and to this day insulin has been great. You can read my story at the above link. My current endo is very supportive of my using insulin.

1 Like