So I got my first insulin pump just over 2 weeks ago (a Tandem t slim) and am now back to the old dmi regime thanks to 2 faulty pumps and no solution yet in site.
The first pump did fine for the first 48 hours but then it suddenly beeped and came up with a warning screen telling me that the bolus it had accepted 2 minutes earlier had not been delivered! As t slim users will know there are a total of five screens to be got through before the final screen appears (looks like a water droplet) indicating that the bolus has been accepted and will be delivered. I had gone through each screen in turn including the calculation screen which shows Onboard insulin, active time remaining, carbs consumed and blood sugar level input - it asks if you want to check the calculation or you can just press the tick button.
In other words the pump is aware of every required aspect and has approved a bolus based on all those details, BUT, not 2 minutes later the same pump, working on the same information changes its mind and refuses to deliver the required bolus!
The first time this happened I was astonished to learn that the uk technical support were not issued with a real pump for diagnostics!!! All they got was the app which is why they kept asking me had I completed both screens and couldn’t understand when I kept correcting them because there are 5 screens to complete.
Anyway, in the end because they had no way of telling me if the bolus had actually been delivered or not I asked them if it was safe to continue using the pump tp which they replied that they could not advise me about that and I should speak to my doctor.
This was late afternoon and there was no way to contact the doctor till the following morning so I removed the pump and went back to injecting.
I was contacted the following day and asked if I would install a completely new setup to see if that would cure the problem - new cartidge, infuser, etc. I agreed but because I now had Levmir in my system had to wait till the following day to do this.
Same result!!! Pump worked fine for 2 days then threw the same warning about bolus not delivered! Talk to Tandem; disconnect pump and back to dmi - what a great life!
Now they have another idea - maybe it’s not the pump; perhaps it’s the infusion kit! So they send me out another box of infusers and off we go again.
Same result - pump does fine for about 2 days then throws another wobbly! Exact same as before.
So now they send me a replacement pump and guess what; yep, it works fine for 2 days then throws up the same “Bolus not delivered” as the previous pump.
I now have no confidence in the pump. Before I retired I had qualifications in software programming and there is no doubt in my mind that there is a fundamental sotware problem with the pump that currently renders it unfit for purpose (as defined by the uk yellow card scheme for faulty medical equipment).
The are going to phone me tomorrow to see what can be done to resolve the issue, however I have stated to them that the last fortnight has been hell for me physically because of the repeated stop/start change of insulin regimes I have had endless stomach pains and diarrea, headaches and nausea. I am not prepared to continue being used as a fualt finding guinea pig. I am prepared to give the new G6 model a try because it has a software update which may have resolved this problem, or I am giving up on Tandem and raising the issue of “fitness for purpose” under the uk yellow card scheme.
I’d be very interested to know of any other t slim failure to deliver bolus that you may be aware of.
Sorry this has been so lengthy but I really needed to blow off steam!!!