Today is the official kick-off of our warning signs awareness week! Our goal is to take the #T1DWarningSigns conversation beyond the diabetes space and into the mainstream.
As members of the diabetes community, we already know about the warning signs of type 1 diabetes. This week, we will be asking for community members to help us take this out of our bubble and educate the general population in order to decrease DKA at diagnosis and save lives.
Our main message is, “Anyone can get type 1 diabetes, so everyone should know the #T1DWarningSigns.”
- 46% of patients with type 1 diabetes are in DKA at diagnosis
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, the number of children in severe DKA at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes doubled
- 93% of new cases of T1D are in people with no family history of the disease
- The rates of type 1 diabetes are rising—the CDC’s most recent Diabetes Statistics Report showed a nearly 30% increase in T1D diagnosis.
We are encouraged by the amount of interest and involvement in the campaign. With the support of our community and networks, we are confident this week will result in significantly increasing the number of interested volunteers
How can you help?
- Share the digital poster (attached) in your social channels, group chats, and emails. ( see below ).
- Share your diagnosis story. Your story is a powerful tool. By sharing your story and asking your followers to help you raise awareness, you may see an increase in volunteers that you know in your state.
- Share why this campaign is meaningful for you and ask your family and friends to keep sharing the digital poster.
We trust that all of our combined efforts will begin to impact the general population with much-needed awareness of the warning signs. If you want to request posters, please don’t hesitate to request them here.