T2 and Celiac

Hello,

I'm new to the group, so please bare with me. I was diagnosed with T2 about 2 yrs ago and Celiac about 8 yrs ago. Since then, I have also been diagnosed with metabolic syndrome. My numbers seem to be ok, usually between 100 and 110 in the AM. Although, for the past week they have been between 110 and 125. I'm not sure why, I know I am eating less, but I'm still confused.

I know it's very common (at least from what I have heard) to have T2 and metabolic syndrome. But is Celiac and T2 common as well?

Thanks
:)

Hi T2Celiac, and welcome to TuDiabetes. I'm a T1Celiac and have other autoimmune conditions as well. You probably already know that Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disease. I don't know if Celiac and T2 are commonly seen together; apparently some T2s have some autoimmunity. We do have Groups for Celiacs, one of which is Celiac and Diabetes.

This may sound a little strange, but if you continue to have higher Blood Glucose numbers, you and your doctor might consider whether you are acutally LADA/Type1. Reading here at TuD, one sees that this type of misdiagnosis is fairly common.

Let me introduce myself the right way. :) According to my sisters and brothers I'm from the milkman. Well, I was until my family health history started creeping up on me. My family's medical history is very unique (according to alot of MD's I have spoken with). My mother was misdiagnosed at 42yrs with heart disease for almost a year. By the time they discovered it, she had to have a 4 way bypass with a valve replacement. This was followed by years of seizures, strokes, another bypass and crorided artery bypass as well. Unfortunately, she lost her battle at age 57.

My oldest sister was a diabetic and had heart issues as well. We lost her when she was 47. My other sister had heart, lung and diabetes issues. The amazing part about her, was every time she went into the hosptial they would test her sugar and give her insulin, yet never give her anthing to take or monitor at home. I have to admit, I fought a losing battle with her on this. I don't think she ever wanted to admit this was an issue, but I was only the pain in the butt sister. Unfortunately, I lost her when she was 50.

Now, my brothers are even bigger problems. (Aren't they all) My oldest brother has had numerious stents and a tripple by-pass as well. His first heart attack was at age of 33. Since then he has been dx with diabetes (which is wife is also as well). However, I don't think he really cares. Neither of them test themselves or monitor their sugar levels. They do take their meds but that is about it. Personally, I think he has given up and unfortunately, I know it's just a matter of time before I will lose him as well.

My last brother has survived 2 widow makers. The first one when he was 32 and the last one about 4 yrs ago. He is still considered hypoglycemic (which is what I was until the last couple of years), so he doesn't have to worry as of now. However, I did find out he just recently had a minor stroke (he is 50 yrs old). Although, he only has about 33% of his heart still working properly. They did give him a pacemaker/defibulator to help with his heart. Yet, each time I see him, I can tell he is slowing down.

As for me, I never showed any issues until the last 2 years. First, they believed I had blockage in 2009. Thankfully, after an angiogram it showed I no blockage. However, my numbers started changing. I was then diagnosed with CAD. After working with my cardiologist, it was noticed my sugars were impacting everything. I was dx with pre-diab (although my MD is treating me as a full fledge diab) with an A1C of 6.4.

Personally, I fell lost. Seeing my mother and sisters pass, then worring about my brother's. I feel like I'm a time bomb and sometimes I wish my heart attack would come and get it over with. However, I am so blessed to have a very supportive family who encourages, pushes and loves me.

Now, it's up to me.

Hi, T2Celiac. Cardiovascular issues are common companions of type 2 diabetes and its precursors, as well as the primary complication of type 1 diabetes. Usually a combination of cardiovascular factors and insulin resistance (or type 2 diabetes) -- usually in conjunction with specific body shapes and/or obesity -- are sufficient to diagnose "metabolic syndrome". (Whether or not this is a condition distinct from its components is an issue still debated by doctors.)

Celiac sprue is more frequently seen in conjunction with type 1 diabetes, as they are both autoimmune disorders and they share a number of genes (and gene mutations) in common. Between 5% and 10% of all people with type 1 diabetes also have celiac sprue.

Because the diagnosis of celiac is more closely associated with type 1 diabetes than type 2, many of us here on TuDiabetes will suggest you ask your doctor to confirm whether or not you have a slowly-developing form of type 1 diabetes called LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults). The way to test for this is with antibody spectrum tests (GAD antibody tests in particular, but these may show up negative if you are still producing enough insulin to keep your glucose controlled with diet and pills).

Another thing that strikes me here is the ages of your family members -- both now and at the time of their deaths. The reason for this is that menopause causes our metabolisms to slow down, change, and process foods differently. In addition to possible changes in your diabetes caused by LADA or if you've gained any weight, you may have elevated glucose levels because of changes in your reproductive hormone levels. (These also can be analyzed through a simple blood test.)

The third thing I'd ask about is what changes you've made to your diet. You said you're eating less -- but less of what? What are you eating, when, and how much? I find that my glycemic tolerance for eating quantities of specific carbohydrates at a sitting has decreased over time, so if I eat them as meals, I'll experience unexpected highs and odd glycemic curves, even if I'm eating fewer calories overall.

The good news is just about anything a celiac shouldn't eat, a diabetic shouldn't either. You get to hit two birds with one stone.

I agree with you for the menopause. Both my sisters and my mother had hysterectomy's at early ages (before 35). I've been lucky and have not needed one. I do know my horomone levels are currently ok (on the lower side), I'm sure that has been saving me.

You are right. I have gained weight since I was diagnosed with Celiac. Prior to dx my metabolism was fast and never needed to worry about weight. However, since I was dx, I have put on 50 lbs. (So far I've lost 10, but still working on it). Carb's are my weakness. Growing up I was in ton's of sports, so carb's are what we ate to keep going. Now, I'm working hard on changing that. Monday, is my first visit with a dietician. (Believe it or not, my insurance wouldn't cover me seeing a dietician when I was diag with Celiac. I had to wait until I was dx with diabetes)

I never heard about LADA, I will definately have to bring that up to my MD.