Taking Advantage of the Diabetic Police

Diabetes is such a challenging disease. It really pushes our sensibilities, and makes us be bigger judges of ourselves, our health, and our bodies, than most people will ever be. I think it goes with the territory that we may feel this sense of weight, perhaps recrimination, if what we “judge” or “deem” to be a good choice for our health doesn’t pan out. It’s no wonder we often consider those who give well meaning advice (even though it might be misinformed, annoying, or misguided) as policing of our behaviors. Of course, people also want to police our behaviors, sometimes, because they’re scared. They are scared out of their minds that they are going to lose us, or that we will get hurt… I have to say… I understand that mentality: I lost my father to Diabetes, and by God, I tried to police his behavior soooo much, along with everyone else. I understand that it’s not done out of meanness, for the most part (I can’t say that jerkwad at work that goes “oh, i could never inject myself…” cares about you and me)… but it is mostly done because when Diabetes strikes a person in a family, do not kid yourself… Diabetes strikes the ENTIRE family. Those people, right now, have Type 3 Diabetes. They will be in a constant paranoia… worried about you… concerned about you… watching over you. They will become as hella annoying as can be! lol

But what if we used these people, in our daily lives, to our advantage? What if (like the Diabetic Police Video in our video library here, at TuD), we just redirected people's behavior, maybe in ways they didn't realize? If someone is constantly nagging you about doing something... why not actually give them something to actually REALLY nag you about? How about helping them remind you to pack your insulin every time you go anywhere, and particularly on trips! (I see soooo many people here forget their insulin on trips. I am shocked!) How about reminding you to have a snack in the evening, after dinner, where you always feel low? Recently, I learned a new little trick for the Nagging Nancies of the Diabetic Police: Announcing that I'm going to have a snack! Yeah, you know... those people who are always telling you "you can't eat this?" Well... Let's say that you struggle eating more than just the proper portion of something... Well, announce that you're gonna go have a snack! If they say you can't have it, you can politely say "I can have some, but only a little..." and from then on... that person will guarantee that you never have more than just a little. If you tend to binge on that chocolate, let me tell ya... Announcing you're gonna have a snack is a dream. lol My husband keeps watching all of what I eat... and asks me "what's that?" constantly... lol Now I simply say "I'm going to have a snack." Now, if I say it too often, I'll get harassed into why I'm doing it... And I don't wanna get harassed... so I won't overdo it! lol (I know he's a good person not trying to harass me... So you have to keep that in mind to... Is the person policing me someone who loves me, and cares about me?)

And maybe how about using Misinformed Mathew for actually informing the world about what's correct about Diabetes? All he wants to do is be a know it all about what is right, all the time, anyway... So redirect him, and give him proper information... and one day, too, he'll be lecturing some other poor misinformed person and maybe actual TRUE information will get spread around. If he's a family member, you could probably give him a Diabetes book as a present... if they are into that kind of thing... Or even, a well written article. Heck, this person could even help you do research, so you're not alone having to look up everything yourself! Some of my friends, on my FB, have taken it upon themselves to read and learn a LOT about Diabetes (actual good information) just because they were shocked that I was diagnosed with it. This is an enormous help to me!

Now, I know not all of these people are going to be trainable... But some can really be retrained, and maybe even help us carry this load of Diabetes a little bit more easily... My husband is like my nutritionist, in many ways, now... He has learned a lot of carb counting from me, and looks into potential meals which could be beneficial for us both (of course, it helps that he was an out of control Diabetic, and now he's not... thanks to me getting diagnosed, as well.) Do you have any tricks for retraining YOUR Diabetic Police? Can you think of some? :) Share them, here. :) We need all the ideas we can get. lol

Excellent…how true.

Well you gave me some good ideas here. If something crops in my mind I will let you know.
Thank you for this post.

What do you think of this?
PS I’ve posted this as something humourous :wink:

Here are the Lyrics to

song : "Dream Police"
Artist(Band): Cheap Trick

The dream police, they live inside of my head.
The dream police, they come to me in my bed.
The dream police, they’re coming to arrest me, oh no.

You know that talk is cheap, and those rumors ain’t nice.
And when I fall asleep I don’t think I’ll survive the night, the night.

'Cause they’re waiting for me.
They’re looking for me.
Ev’ry single night they’re driving me insane.
Those men inside my brain.

The dream police, they live inside of my head.
(Live inside of my head.)
The dream police, they come to me in my bed.
(Come to me in my bed.)
The dream police, they’re coming to arrest me, oh no.

Well, I can’t tell lies, 'cause they’re listening to me.
And when I fall asleep, bet they’re spying on me tonight, tonight.

They’re looking for me.

I try to sleep, they’re wide awake, they won’t let me alone.
They don’t get paid or take vacations, or let me alone.
They spy on me, I try to hide, they won’t let me alone.
They persecute me, they’re the judge and jury all in one.

They’re looking for me.

The dream police police police
The dream police,police police
The dream police,police police

I remember that song. lol It’s how it can be, if we don’t control them somehow! hehe