Tandem Control-IQ Review! (Artificial Pancreas - Hybrid Closed Loop)

Wow - That is coming in about two months early !!!

Nice.

I just want a reliable pump wither a screen I can read and update without finding a dark broom closet.

Given the limitations of the autonomous modes of Medtronic and Tandems Control IQ, I know I can manually control my blood glucose far better than anything other than @Terry4’s DIY loop system.

1 Like

Thanks for the update Anthony. I recently retired and use Medicare for pump supply coverage. I am currently using the G5 CGM with a Tandem TSlim X2 pump and am much happier with the accuracy of the Dexcom G5 compared to the Guardian 3 CGM when using a Medtronic 670G pump. Medicare recently approved the use of the G6 and will offer it as a replacement for the G5 very soon. Recently I have been having more challenges with lows, particularly at night and am very much looking forward to switching to the G6 soon which will include integrating the G6 with Tandem pump using the Basal IQ system. Having just read about the next step of adding automatic control not only lows but also highs feature of the Control IQ is very, very exciting. Can’t wait to hear about the findings from UV tomorrow.

1 Like

I was told that using the latest software of the X2, you can’t use a G5 any longer–correct? I’m going by my memory of a discussion with the tandem rep about a month ago. Someone with intimate knowledge of this, please chime in.

Hi Dave,

Based on what I know there is no communication between the G5 CGM and the Tandem TSlim X2 insulin pump. However there will be a lot of communication between the G6 and the Tandem TSlim X2 insulin pump. The G6 is on the market. Do you have insurance to cover for it?

Guy

2016: The t:slim X2 had no cgm integration upon initial release.
2017: The G5 update provided Dexcom G5 cgm integration.
2018: The Basal-IQ update provided Dexcom G6 integration and removed the G5 integration.

2019: Control-IQ update is forecast for Summer 2019 and expected to integrated with G6.

3 Likes

Not until Medicare approves it, AND they decide to switch Medicare patients already using the G5, to the G6.

Thanks to @Willow4 for the link:

FDA authorizes first interoperable insulin pump intended to allow patients to customize treatment through their individual diabetes management devices
https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm631412.htm

1 Like

Dave,

Congrats to you if like me you are using Medicare. Medicare has approved the G6 CGM and they should be available after March 31st. When does your current G5 transmitter expire? When it does you should be able to switch to the G6. In addition to the G6 sensors, you will also need a different transmitter for the G6.I am really excited about this. Please keep in touch!

My current xmitter last sensor-start is by March 1st.

Has anyone learned more since this last post?

I started Basal-IQ yesterday and I’m extremely pleased with the results. I’m now anxious to see Control-IQ.

But as others have pointed out, active control may have downsides if the software has a built in target BG higher than I might otherwise set myself or limits on what times of day the software is in full control. Depending on the limitations, I may just stick with Basal-IQ

I found information about the status of the clinical trial, but only cursory details about the software and no results. One article said it was suspended temporarily last month to address a software bug.

1 Like

Multiple reports from highly reliable sources indicate the bug was addressed, fix pushed out and trial resumed. No official news release. I would expect for this to be publicly addressed in the upcoming earnings conference call.

I was shocked at the level of effectiveness of Basal-IQ. It took some time running it before we realized the complete aspect. Amazing.

4 Likes

Great info - Thanks!

1 Like

Do mean it’s effective if one can be happy with a higher target bg than what one’s personal target is?

I would be shocked if one’s personal target was lower than Basal-IQ.

Bear in mind that Control-IQ is NOT an enhanced or in any way revised software of Basal-IQ. Do NOT assume that Control-IQ is “Version 2” of Basal-IQ.

Control-IQ is developed from an entirely different source and has no historical relation to Basal-IQ. The only similarities are they both run on the X2 and use the G6 for source data.

Tandem has publicly announced plans to continue working on Control-IQ and releasing new versions of Control-IQ (probably on the order of once per year) that add capabilities and refinements. There is absolutely nothing stated in a similar fashion in regards to Basal-IQ.

The best way to understand Basal-IQ is to run it.
The next best way is to listen to what people who are running it have to say.

4 Likes

oh crud. I misread the previous comment. I was thinking u were talking about Control-IQ

1 Like

I obviously don’t read their announced plans and quarterly reports like you do, but I didn’t realize that they had a yearly plan for updates in the works.
I can only hope that they will give some leeway on letting us choose our own target levels, etc.
Until then, I remain on the Basal-IQ, as it works wonderfully!
And you are also correct in thinking that once we understand how to take advantage of Basal-IQ, we can make it even better!

Now, for those people who do not have a pretty low target BG, and especially those that have a lot of roller coaster BGs in their life, I think the Control-IQ shows GREAT promise for.

2 Likes

I believe the focus would appear to be in other areas.
I am sure this (personalized targets) will happen in time. At this point, I am not holding my breath on it.
The reality is from a business point of view (and if they never make a profit - they will go out of business) the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
It may not be what we would prefer to hear but it is the reality.

I consider Basal-IQ an unexpected gift.

We make EXTENSIVE use of extended bolus. Given that Basal-IQ will terminate the remaining extended when it kicks in, this gives some very nice options.

Which certainly is a very large pool of people.

1 Like

In addition to Control-IQ there seems to be some other small improvements to the overall X2 software when it is released. One improvement I know of is that when you bolus on the Control-IQ software, the BG will automatically populate for you. Currently you have to enter that in every time you bolus, or just omit it.

So, this is a nice improvement.

1 Like

Tandem officially announced that the bug in the Control-IQ trial was fixed and pushed out via their Tandem updater to the trial participants.

Additionally, Tandem reported that the Control-IQ pivotal clinical trial is now complete. Participants are continuing on with a 3-month extension phase of the study. Tandem will also be running a further continued access extension such that all study participants will be able to keep the Control-IQ until such point as it is public released.

Tandem does not have the study results as they were not running the study. The results are expected to be published during the ADA in early June. Once the study results are published, it is expected for Tandem to submit the Control-IQ algorithm to the FDA in July for approval for ages 14 and above. Tandem will be following up with a separate FDA submission for pediatric (age 6 and above) based on a different study when that data is available.

Tandem is preparing for a Control-IQ launch in the fourth Quarter of this year. Which does push the Control-IQ launch out a couple months from what was previously expected but nothing that seems unreasonable IMHO.

Still no official word from Tandem as to any additional cost for the Control-IQ system.

1 Like