Hi @Kylierae96, Welcome to our community. You are correct that an extended bolus is a slower bolus but there are several things to know about an extended bolus, it may be set up differently on a Tandem pump.
When setting an extended bolus on a Tandem pump you must choose the percentage of your bolus to extend and you must choose how log to extend it, You can choose to extend the entire bolus (100%) or extend only part of your bolus. Lets say you choose to extend only 60 percent then the remaining 40 percent will be delivered immediately as a normal bolus.
What you describe does not sound like a result of the way a Tandem pump delivers a bolus, if anything it delivers a bolus in a slower manner than my old Medtronic pump. I really didn’t notice a difference in the way a bolus felt.
You have been a pump user for 15 years, I really not sure there is much I can suggest that you most likely don’t already know. Forgive me if I suggest the obvious.
I would look at my site, was it an old site that was feeling worn already and ready for replacement or was it a new site that was possibly too close to a nerve. Another thought was your insulin, had your pump just been filled with cold insulin, cold insulin can sting.
Like I said earlier I don’t believe you stinging problem can be the pump itself.