Tandem T:Slim X2 with Dexcom integration

@Luxmatic and @Hammer - Do either or both of you now have three devices connected to the transmitter? Being the Tandem X2 pump, the Dexcom receiver and a Smart Device?

Also, @Luxmatic - When you took the shower and the upgraded Tandem X2 pump (with cgm functionality) was out of range and not picking up the transmitter, when you brought the pump back into range, did the pump backfill the missing data as now happens on the Dexcom App running on Smart Devices? Or did it ignore the missing data as continues to happen on the existing Dexcom Receiver?

I am still not able to get the Receiver to connect (when the Tandem X2 and Apple iPhone are already connected). I likely need to call Dexcom Tech Support. Unless I get the answer from either of you.
:slight_smile:

Calibrations should only be entered on one device. Then no matter which device you check, you should be able to see the calibration in the Settings --> Device Info --> Last Calibration although it could take up to 10 minutes for the calibration data to properly propagate everywhere.

I am only running the X2 and android.
I had gaps on the pump when I woke up this morning. But when I just checked it now, it had backfilled.
Not sure when it did that. I will have to watch that closely next time I notice it

@Tim35 - the data backfilled. It seems to work, more or less, like the other receivers.

Also, the Dexcom receiver is shutdown (via the “shutdown” option), so it isn’t part of the equation for me.

The current Dexcom Receiver does not have backfill capability unless Dexcom made a modification and is shipping modified receivers but I was pretty sure that was not going to change. The new touchscreen receiver is supposed to start shipping before the end of this year and although not said one way or the other, it would not make any sense for that one NOT to have the backfill. But I know for sure our current Dexcom G5 Receiver does NOT have the backfill.

BTW - Backfill (according to Tech Support) is able to go up to a maximum of 3 hrs in the past. Older than that and the data gets lost.

In case you couldn’t tell, I LOVE the backfill feature and had been wondering for YEARS why it was not included in the technology. But the reality is you can’t get everything in the first model.

So anyway, great to know that the Tandem X2 w/ cgm update definitely DOES have the backfill technology. (I don’t know why but the “gaps” drive me just a little bit crazy. I appreciate gapless graphs.)

And it sounds like neither @Hammer nor @luxmatic are currently using the Dexcom Receiver. I will call back Dexcom Technical Support and either find out what I am doing wrong or perhaps the previous call to Dex Tech Support where they positively told me all these devices would work at the same time - perhaps is not exactly the case.

Thanks for the info !!!

1 Like

I turned on my dexcom receiver when I got home last night and it would not connect. I left it on for a while just to see, and no luck.
I want to keep it charged up and turned off as a backup for ‘just in case’. But I am not sure how well that will work now.

I plan on following up with Dex Tech Support this afternoon in terms of the receiver. I can update you afterwards.

FYI - I am also working with Diasend support (in progress) in terms of getting the cgm data from the X2 to upload.

Yeah, that was going to be my next step.
I use the Dexcom Clarity 14 day AGP to watch for changes and make adjustments.
My android still uploads to this, so I am not completely out.

You cannot use the receiver if you are using the X2. The transmitters will connect to one smart device and one receiver which is either the Dexcom receiver or your pump acting as the Dexcom receiver.

I’m trying to follow all the hints. So I need to upgrade when I make a pump set change AND either reset or change my DEXCOM sensor? Am I reading these hints correctly?

You don’t actually have to change your sensor. I didn’t actual change mine, and I didn’t tell my phone to stop sensor. I ended up only turning off the dexcom receiver.
On the X2 I told it to start a sensor, but after a few minutes it started taking readings on it’s own.
I think you can actually just stop the insulin and just pull the cartridge without doing a set change.
It DOES require you to pull the cartridge from the pump before the upgrade though.

1 Like

After a day of no problems, my X2 hasn’t been able to connect to the transmitter for almost 12 hours. I’m glad I’m not depending on it.

Bluetooth connectivity issues like this are often fixed by disabling and reenabling Bluetooth on the device having problems, but there’s no option, as far as I can tell, for this on the pump.

I’ll need to call up Tandem today.

change the transmitter so it starts it up again.
Originally I put in transmitter and it wasn’t working (Still had the dexcom receiveron,) then I put in the wrong transmitter and it shut off the bluetooth. I changed the transmitter back to the correct one and it came back and worked (I finally turned off the receiver.)

@Hammer - When you say “change the transmitter” - I assume you mean to change the Transmitter ID in the settings - correct? Just bump the number up by one (bogus ID) back out so it is save then go back in to settings and bump the number back to the proper Transmitter ID. This causes the Bluetooth pairing to re-establish. Correct or did I misunderstand?

Also @Hammer - When you said “I finally turned off the receiver”. When you had the X2 come back online and showing the CGM data from the G5 transmitter, did you have a period of time (before you turned off the receiver) when the X2 and the Dex receiver were both showing CGM data at the same time?

The ability to “change the transmitter” is disabled out while a session is active, so I don’t think that’s possible without stopping the session.

Right. The X2 is not accepting communications from the transmitter and shows the connectivity broken icon (antenna with a red line through it). The X2 is not allowing the transmitter ID to be changed. I’m presuming it could be changed if I stop the session/sensor from the X2. I’m not going to do that to avoid the chance of interrupting the session that’s working fine otherwise via my iPhone.

@luxmatic - I believe - Yes you are correct. Stop sensor on the X2. It will not really stop the sensor as it is not connected. Bump the transmitter id (in the X2 cgm settings) up one number. Click out of settings (just you know it is saved). Go back in to cgm settings on the X2 and put the proper G5 transmitter id in. The X2 will enter Bluetooth pairing mode and hopefully connect to the G5 transmitter. This often is quick but reportedly can actually take up to 30 minutes.

Let me know how it works for you?

Yeah, stopping the session, change the transmitter id, save it and set it back,
And until I finally turned off the dexcom, I never got the readings from X2.

@Hammer - When you turned off the Dexcom Receiver (actual power down) then you started getting cgm readings on the X2 without doing anything else?

Sort of. I kept trying to get it to connect to the transmitter a few different times. Once I finally fully powered down the dexcom receiver, I redid the transmitter id. I then clicked on start sensor (I NEVER stopped the sensor on the dexcom or my phone.) It showed me the startup time clock for a few minutes, then just started reading numbers.
I think the lag was it syncing with the fact that the phone was already getting numbers off the transmitter.

@Hammer - So to summarize, you now have the X2 and the Smart Phone properly receiving cgm data from the G5 transmitter and at no point were you able to get both the X2 and the Dexcom Receiver both properly receiving cgm data at the same time.