Tempeh

Hello All. I’m down to a couple of ounces of meat a day. I often enjoy tempeh and tofu as protein sources. I have found that tofu tastes great to my palate either hot or cold–in salads or heated with veggies and spices. But tempeh only hits the spot hot mixed with lots of onions and garlic and whatever veggies come to hand. It just doesn’t taste good to me cold.

Anybody have ideas for marinades or the like that would flavor it a little differently?

Thanks…Be well…Judith in Portland…

I just stocked up on Tempeh after watching a delectable prgrom on PBS ccalled Christina Cooks. I want to taste it again after years of avoiding it in the stores. She did cook it in olive oil & sesame oil so I will give that a try. Yum. Even Marissa’ s post made me want to cook it up with some nice sauted onion- and it’s only 7:30 in the morning! I have been questioning my vegetarian status lately since my BG’s have been so out of control. I need the encouragment of others nt to go back. I’ve been a pesco-vegetarian fr over +12 years, but my health issues are making this decision harder and harder.

this is what i use alot cause it is spicy and i can use it in alot of different kinds of veg’s to . and add a rice if you want.

4 tablespoons water 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2tablespoons ketchup 1/4 cup sliced green onions
1tablespoon soy sauce 4 cloves garlic, minced
2teaspooncornstarch
2 packets what ever sugar you want

put in bowl
heat oil stir in green onions and garlic then add ??? cook intill sause thickens

tastes great
kerri

“The Vegan Table” has two good tempeh recipes. One of my favorite recipes in this cook book is the carmelized tempeh shawarma. As a type 1 so I can take more insulin when I “caramelize” food. This might not work for type two diabetics but maybe one or two tablespoons of something sweet for a recipe of three or more servings would be fine for all Ds. There is also a website called veganomicon. ( http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/search.php ) This site has free recipes and a lot of tempeh recipes. The tempeh “chicken” salad looks good. Maybe the hot sauce glazed tempeh would be your thing. Let me know what you think.