Asian Yummies

So I finally broke down and bought a wok! I used the Hungry Girl website to base my recipe off of and I have to admit, it turned out quite well with the tofu noodles… I also felt wonderful and energized after eating, not bogged down! So I have to say, it was worth it! :slight_smile: I absolutely LOVE lomein and unfortunately makes me have to shoot up an entire vial, well, okay that’s a slight exaggeration, but it’s a lot of insulin… So I’m exploring other options… Hence the tofu noodles… If you are like me then you typically use a recipe as a starting point and make alterations to fit your mood, cravings, or what you have in the cabinets and fridge! LOL… Let me know how you make your lomein…

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/892

Can you post your version of the recipe? Also, I have not used tofu noodles…what is the carb and fiber count?

The carb count is ridiculous like 6 or 8 grams of carbs per serving for tofu noodles… If you are a pasta junkie like me, then check out this web site for healthy alternatives… http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/666 I am a huge fan of the spaghetti squash (of course) and now, the tofu noodles… For asian food, I think they may be onto something in regards to the bean sprouts…

If you do cook the tofu noodles make sure you follow the instruction they give on the website and make sure they are COMPLETELY dry… Makes a big difference…

As for the recipe:

I pretty much just added a variety of veggies I had in the fridge/cabinet like edamame, water chestnuts, broccoli, peppers, onions, etc.

In a separate bowl I combined soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ground ginger, 1 packet of Truvia, black pepper, and crushed red pepper… I like mine extra garlicy so I add a LOT of garlic…The amounts will vary upon personal preference of flavor and how much you are making… I prefer a more vinegary flavor with the garlic…so I had equal parts of soy and rice vinegar

In my wok, I put a couple table spoons of Canola Oil (I didn’t have peanut oil)…
heated it over med high heat and added in all the veggies whether frozen or raw… cooked until they were all thawed out
Then threw in the tofu noodles (which had been rinsed and drying in pape towel while prep work was being done…

Once everything was mixed I tossed in the sauce and cooked for another few minutes…

The flavor was perfect for me… however, **What I would change is in the sauce prep I would have added either a bit of corn starch or whole wheat flour to allow it to thicken a bit when cooking it with the veggies…

Thanks for the breakdown. I will defiantly try this. Also, I am addicted to peanut oil and sesame oil for these types of foods. (also with baking fish). These oils have such a big flavor. I find they really boost the flavors I am cooking with. Thanks for the link, I do not eat pasta, but really want to look into alternatives.

Yeah, I need to stock up on those oils… didn’t even think about sesame oil… Let me know how you decide to make it… Would love more ideas.