Thank you

Hi all thank you for the welcome. I have been sick with this for 5 1/2 years now. They just ordered me insulin a week ago for the first time.

I have fought with them to help me for so long i had given up all hope.
I was told by 3 doctors that my sugar levels would go down if i lost weight.
I was 320 pounds yes i know very bad. Well i lost 90 pounds and my sugars got worse!!!
Then they said OOOh they will level out once we get your Thyriod under control. ( i have a extrem thyriod problem hence why i gained so much weight).
Well after almost 7 years they finally got my thyriod under control
( a few months back my numbers were normal).
BUT still sugars still high.

So here i am no job cant work no insurance and need $250.00+ a month for insulin.
LOL God found me in my lil world and helped me i found a place in my town to help with my meds.
I will not get them for a month tho.

I am concerned … they didn’t tell/take my numbers…What is it called my AC? I just know for a 12 hr fasting my numbers are 325-405 18 hours fasting is 285-380. Has been for a long time.
Dont even ask what it is when i do eat.
been having lil black outs, dizzy spells, confusion, trouble remembering things. I am scared that some thing might happen before i get my meds.
I want to get a med braclet with a list of my problems but every where i look they all want $30.00 or more.

Ok sorry so long just need to talk i guess.

Am sorry to hear of your struggles. Ask the doctor who prescribed insulin to give you free samples & teach you how to use insulin, if you haven’t received this info. The pharm companies offer patient assistance programs to help people who can’t afford insulin. Check their web sites for info.

An A1c is basically your average blood glucose over a three month periods.

Your numbers are dangerously high. Since those are your fasting numbers, your BG after meals have to be significantly higher. No wonder you feel ill. Normal BG is in the 80’s. If you can’t get free samples from a doctor, please go to the ER immediately for help.

Please check out www.bloodsugar101.com for great info.

Since you won’t be on insulin for a while, and have had high blood sugar for so long, I think someone has misinformed you about the type of diabetes that you have.

Did a doctor say that you are type 1, or are you assuming this because you need insulin?

Most type 1’s are very thin. Having blood sugar that high, for that long and being overweight is usually a sign of type 2, not type 1.

Type 2’s have insulin resistance, are usually overweight, sometimes very overweight, and if it goes on untreated for too long can also require insulin to get things under control.

Requiring insulin doesn’t mean that you have type 1. Many type 2’s need insulin too, and in fact most will need it as they age or if they’ve had diabetes for a few years and have burned out their beta cells. I had to start insulin at diagnosis. I’m a type 2.

High blood sugar can kill a type 1 pretty quickly, as it climbs very fast to lethal levels, leading to diabetic ketoacidosis. If you are truly a type 1, by now you should have been in the hospital with DKA, and you probably would have died without insulin.

A type 2 can survive without the insulin longer as it takes much longer to get up to lethal levels.

Prediabetes is a condition that precedes type 2.

Have you ever tried Metformin, and did it help at all?

If you were type 1, you would likely have lost weight, not gained it, when your blood sugar started creeping up again.

Has anyone ever tested you for GAD antibodies?

I’m just asking these questions because it seems like you are describing symptoms of type 2, not type 1. Needing insulin does not make you a type 1.

Let us know what treatments you have tried, other than losing weight, and what effect they had.

While you are waiting to start insulin, try to drink more water. Water helps your body flush out excess sugar. You’ll have to go to the bathroom a lot, but it will help. (Just don’t get carried away, too much water can be bad for you).

Try to cut back your carbs as much as you can, I know its hard on a tight budget, but its necessary.

What are your meals like? What do you eat and how much? We might be able to suggest some meals to help get things under control.

For example, with high blood sugar, instead of cereal for breakfast, have scrambled eggs. No juice, no toast, just eggs and a glass or two of water. If you want tea or coffee, skip the sugar and milk.

For lunch you could have some cottage cheese on lettuce, rather than a sandwich. The lower carb you can eat for now, the better, within reason of course.

I hope things turn around for you soon. If you are on a very low income, you can apply for help. Some of the insulin companies will help out with a 2 or 3 month supply, which can get you through a tight spot. Your doctor has to fill out a form for you and it takes a little while. In the meantime, your local diabetic clinic might be able to supply you with a bit of insulin to get started.