Thanks and Pumps

Thank you for the welcome messages and comments about my dog, Logan. He is now in doggie heaven but has a huge piece of my heart with him. Not a day goes by that I don't dream of him. He was truly a blessing during the all too short 8 years he spent on earth. Something about unconditional love... And yes - He was a rock star.

For those that asked, yes I do sell insulin pumps. I left a career as an executive in the financial industry to join forces with a company that changed my life. I am still trying to figure out if my ideals and the sales strategy of the company align... Calls and messages from new pumpers, or their parents, barely able to hold in their elation due to; 1) sleeeping through the night, 2) getting two target bg readings in a row, 3) being 140 2 hours postprandial, 4) working out without crashing, 5) no more snacks, 6) getting below the elusive 6.5 a1C, etc is what keeps me focused. Also, I have access to continuious glucose monitoring - which has been amazing for me...

Anyway - I am a diabetic first and a sales person somewhere later. I understand what works for me doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Find your solution and stick to it is my advice. If a pump is what you need, I'll help get you there. Or if you are considering a pump, I will let you know the pro's and con's.

My focus is educating health care professionals on pumps as an option. I am amazed everyday at how many either don't understand the concept or refuse to listen. They have been on the market for over 20 years. Doctors should at least understand all options to make appropriate, educated suggestions... I was far from failing with diabetes control when I went on a pump. However, it has given me flexibility and much tighter control because I am human. I want to experience life just as non diabetics. There was no way I was going to run a 10 miler, hike in Maine, ski in Colorado, eat Italian in Boston/Philly, or enjoy birthday cake and feel good afterward without a different solution than shots.

I understand it's not a magic bullet, but it is a solution for some. And for 9+ years, it's been the only solution for me.

Have fun - More to follow...

First I want to tell you how sorry I am that Logan went across the Rainbow Bridge. My Maggie is 14, partially blind and deaf and now needs me to help her get up from the floor. I truly believe that one day, Maggie and I will meet again in a better place, and I’m sure you’ll see Logan again too.

Your story is an amazing one, as I’ve said before, and I look forward to hearing more about it. You’re a fantastic resource here and wherever life takes you!

Bentley - Thanks for your kind words about Logan. I completely agree with your sentiments. He and I will see each other again. No doubt.

I look forward to growing with the community. I hope to learn and help as best as I can.

That profile pic is the best I have ever seen. my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your friend. my trainer was also a T1 on a pump and let me tell you - I don’t think I could have started without her help and insight and understanding. all the best! -Joe

Keep up the fight, the patients will appreciate it. My endo (for 4 years) would only talk about the pump when I brought it up. I switched to a new endo (35 miles away) and the first appointment she had me on the pump. It has changed my life. Please keep educating the endo’s of the world that are not actively putting diabetic patients on the insulin pump.