Thanksgiving

I know for some of you outside the US Thanksgiving was last month or doesnt take place. For the rest of us (and you non thanksgiving day people too), what are you making for Thanksgiving? Receipes included please!

Im off to my folks with the kids and wife for Thanksgiving #1 to which Im bringing cauliflower mashed (still debating the recipe), pumpkin soup, cranberry sauce, and stuffing (al a Gerri - she had to have a recipe in here someplace right?). Then were off to the Sister in laws to which Im bringing a pumpkin pie. (Im going to leave out the pumpkin pie recipe, if youd like it if can be foud HERE.

Thanks for sharing!

----Snip-----------Snip-----------Snip-----------Snip-----------Snip-----------Snip-----------Snip-----------

Cranberry Sauce
In a big, non-reactive saucepan, combine:
1 cup water
1 cup Splenda granular (or, if you prefer, erythritol)
12 ounce bag fresh cranberries

Bring to a simmer, and cook till the cranberries pop. That's it! Put it in a jar or snap-top container and refrigerate for at least a day before serving.
If you like, you can add 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder to this mixture, to thicken it up a bit, but it's great just like this.
Makes 2 cups, or 16 servings of two tablespoons each, with: 16 Calories; trace Fat ; trace Protein; 4g Carbohydrate. The same sized serving of canned cranberry sauce has 52 calories, with 13 grams of of carbohydrate -- more than three times as much!
http://holdthetoast.com/node/211

Whole Pumpkin Pie Soup

Ingredients

• 1 whole baking pumpkin, approximately 4 pounds, rinsed
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 small apple, peeled, cored, and diced
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 ounces goat cheese
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

Directions

Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Make a lid on the top of the pumpkin by cutting around the stem at a 45 degree angle. Make sure the opening is large enough to work within. Remove the seeds and fibers with a metal spoon or ice cream scoop and kitchen shears. Reserve the seeds for another use. Brush the exterior of the pumpkin and the lid with vegetable oil. Oil a round casserole dish large enough to hold the pumpkin and place the pumpkin inside.
Combine the butter, onion, salt, garlic, apples, chicken broth, and heavy cream in the hollow pumpkin. Replace the lid of the pumpkin to cover. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove the lid. Add the goat cheese and thyme and bake an additional 30 minutes, uncovered. Remove the pumpkin from the oven, and gently scrape some of the flesh into the soup mixture. Puree with an immersion blender to desired consistency, being careful to avoid the sides and bottom of the pumpkin. Serve immediately.

"Mock" Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

• 1 medium head cauliflower
  • 1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/8 teaspoon straight chicken base or bullion (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt)
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or dry chives, for garnish
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions

Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.
Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well; do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower very dry between several layers of paper towels.
In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, Parmesan, garlic, chicken base, and pepper until almost smooth.
Garnish with chives, and serve hot with pats of butter.
Hint: Try roasting the garlic and adding a little fresh rosemary for a whole new taste.
Chef: George Stella

Thanks for posting this great recipe Judith! Im a big leftover fan as well. Im actually thinking of cooking a turkey at home just so I have some more around hte hour after T-day. I think I could eat turkey leftovers for weeks if there was enough!

Ours is a group affair involving my family of four, a friend’s family of four, my parents, my friend’s parents, a neighbor lady, and a single friend. Only my daughter has D.

We’ll be having smoked oysters, cheese and crackers for appetizers, including crackers that are 1 carb each
Brined turkey
Mashed potatoes, but I think I’m going to try the mashed cauliflower, too. I hadn’t thought of that.
Stuffing (she doesn’t like this anyway, so no harm there)
Yam with the marshmallows on top (same as the stuffing; talk about the worst of all worlds)
Cranberry sauce using my Grandmother’s recipe. This does have carbs, but we calculated it last year
Peas
Acorn Squash
Bussels Sprouts with Pecans
rolls (16 carbs each)
pie from Marie Calendar’s. I believe it’s the custard pie that has the fewest carbs.

I’m glad you asked this question, because I think I haven’t thought this through quite enough. Although we all love the traditional foods of T’giving, one thing we never endorse is stuffing yourself silly and trying everything on the table, so I think Clara should be able to make a very nice plate without going overboard.

Sounds wonderful! Thats a big dinner! We (at my folks) generally have 11-13 people including my cousins family (4), my family (4), my folks with grandmohter (3), then the addition of mother in law and friend / other in laws. These holidays are so wonderful. I simply love this time of year.

Id love to see you Bussels Sprouts with Pecans recipe. That sounds delicious and I just bought a fresh lot from the grocery store without plans of how to cook them.

Thanks for the reply and happy Thanksgiving!

My older dds(2), one son-in-law, a grandson, my teenage twins, my mother, and my brother and his family are coming. My olders dds and grandson are gluten free. I’m carb free and corn free. Yesterday, I baked gluten free pies and rolls. Today, I made the regular pumpkin and one apple pie alon with some corn muffins and a apple dessert without a crust. I can’t eat any of it, nor can I taste it. It’s rather weird. I’m LADA for a year now, and have been maintaining my bg just fine, but I wonder if it is my activity level. I skipped exercise for a week because of the holiday, and my numbers are 100-105 (high for me.) Anyway, last night we picked up a 26 pound pasture raised bird. I took the brussel sprouts off of four stalks of brussel sprouts before I gave in to fatigue. I have rhutabaga (Irish turnip), sweet potatoes, white potatoes, gluten free and regular stuffing. I’m exhausted. I sometimes cut the brussel spouts thinly, called a chiffonade and stir fry them quickly in a wok with butter and thyme, sprinkling with poppy seeds. Some years, I steam them making an “X” in the step. I have soooo many brussel sprouts that my husband thinks I’ve gone daft. Oh, I also made two cranberry sauces, one flavored with jalepeno, white onion, sugar and lime. I don’t eat what I cook. In fact, I really don’t think that I can eat the cauliflower potato dish. I have to make sure that my vegetables are barely cooked. I’ll just stir fry a few cut up asparagus stalks. I cooked a cheap steak last night at midnight - I forgot. I also made a gluten free pecan pie. I have not cheated in over a year, but this is bumming me out a little, tonight.