That feeling of recognition

So I was going for some vascular tests today (unrelated to D) and I was meeting with a tech and muttered something about moving my insulin pump and suddenly she said something like "oh, I have one too!" and pulled out her t-slim. Suddenly this stranger and I were talking really fast about pumps and endos and the lack of knowledge of most white coats and TuDiabetes which she kept writing as "2" and I just took the pen and wrote it for her. Other staff kept passing by and staring at us trying to figure out what was going on. After awhile she got back to her tasks and we said how great it was to have met. If you haven't had that experience of suddenly and unexpectedly meeting another Type 1 and immediately connecting, you have no idea how wonderful it is. I shared with my new friend the first time I met another Type 1. I told her about starting a Type 1 Women's Group and we agreed how the area we live in is oriented exclusively to Type 1 children and how sad that is. So tell us about your experiences with meeting another Type 1?

Your encounter reminds me of the encounter I had yesterday. I was walking along on the sidewalk among the tall buildings of the UAB hospital complex. Saw this guy leaning up against a wall taking a break. As I was walking by I noticed a device clipped to his belt. Then a few steps later, it dawned on me on what it was. An insulin pump! I turned around walked back to the guy. I said to him "I see you have an insulin pump." He smiled. I told him that I was in the process of getting one myself. He told me "it was the greatest thing ever for him, and that I will like having one." We talked for a few minutes about our conditions. Then I had to move on toward my destination. Like you, meeting someone who is also a diabetic and on a pump, really made my day. Welcome to the Diabetic Club!

Nice experience, Tim!

In 2010 I was at a special education conferenc and connected with another teacher who was close to my age (a majority of people in this field are 20 or more years older than I am). At lunch on the last day we were sitting talking when I pulled out my pump to bolus. She said, "Hey, is that an insulin pump?" I said yes, and asked how she knew. She pulled out her own pump. We spent the remainder of the day talking about diabetes and our experiences growing up with it.

Very cool, Jen; two points of connection!

Twice now I've had random security people at airports ask me if I liked the pump. I didn't ask them why they'd ask that, but I can only assume it's because they or someone they love has Type 1 and is considering getting one.

How wonderful, Zoe. I have had similar experiences with members of TuD, both T1s and T2s. It is truly life-changing......Blessings....

It seems that our insulin pumps are a great introduction. I met one fellow pumper at yoga class--I saw her pump and we bonded (and now she attends the JDRF-sponsored Type 1 women's group that Zoe started!). Another woman I met while waiting for my flight leaving Eleuthera, Bahamas. This woman saw my pump and said that she was about to get one but had some trepidation. I quickly wrote "Pumping Insulin by John Walsh" on a piece of paper and told her that's the book she needed! She was very grateful.

That's my favorite thing of all, Melitta; when I'm able to tell the person about an online or live resource where they will feel more connected to others. I told the tech about tudiabetes and hope to see her on here!