The TuDiabetes Family

Sloane, with your words, you make me proud to pump, test, carb count, complain, and cheer all of us in the good fight against diabetes every day. I always say that people with diabetes are just a little bit smarter, more resilient, courageous, kind, and good looking than the average person. And you’re a living, breathing example. I nominate you for president (of the American Diabetes Association, if not the world)!

You know what Slone? I had been a diabetic for MANy years when I found this site and here even with what I knew I learned more! Thank you! I look at this as my 2nd family and I hope all othher’s here do too! You got the right attitude to make it through! YOU WILL DO IT! Back when I took Type 1 places like this didn’t exzits and now thanks to Manny it does and here we can exchange ideas! Your just said what I always thought about this place!!!

Sloane, you sound more mature and more grounded than, obviously your school your nurse, but more so than most adults. I applaud your writing and I can only hope my daughter is as insightful as you in the years to come. This website has also helped me as a parent, at least try to understand what she is going through. I know i will NEVER know what it’s like to be her. Your parents should be very proud!

Last night, in our living room, while Manuel (Manny) was reading this we both were so emotional… Thank you so much for sharing your story and remind all of us the power of support, family and community.
You are such and inspiring girl (our should I say young woman). I can see why you walk with you head up. You have a lot to feel proud about.

This is a beautiful letter, Sloan… I am so proud of you. :slight_smile: Did anyone say anything about it, at school?

What can I say to thank all of you for you wonderful comments?! Every comment really means a lot to me- thank you!!

I read this this morning, and now I’m reading it again - and like the others, got pretty emotional. I was your age when I got it and like Doris said, we didn’t have much support, and I didn’t have anyone else with type 1 in my school. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your blog, it’s helped me a lot! I agree with Kelly, I second the nomination! You are a wonderful writer, too.

Sloane – you never stop amazing us! And you never will!

As I read this post, I sat with my pump at my side, my meter within reach, and a “little blood stain on my finger”. So, my dear, you are not alone! I think that many, many members will read your blog post and know that they don’t need to feel alone either!

Through my tears I say thank you! Thank you for the beautiful words, for sharing your heart, and reminding us all of just how important and special our TuDiabetes family is. My heart aches thinking of how difficult childhood is without diabetes, and how much of a struggle it was for you. So hard to find the “silver lining” since my own Dx, but your writing makes me feel grateful I made it to age 34 before being diagnosed. Thanks for the reminder. And thank you for renewing a sense of community in me: each time I see that blood stain, I know I am not as alone as I may feel. :slight_smile:

Sloane,

Thank you for sharing yourself with us. You are beautiful young woman in every sense. Your words resonate deeply to touch us all.

Thanks for making me cry, girlfriend. hugs

Wonderful and beautiful blog. I was dx’ed T-1 as an adult not as a child, so I didn’t feel the pain you did as a child dx’ed with D. You should walk proudly as a young adult with diabetes and the support of the TuD community with you.

bravo

this is beautiful :slight_smile: tudiabetes made me find such amazing friends! I am proud of diabetes and don’t worry people around us can’t understand us because the person they think they know in your case “the druggie with the needles” is not you! they just judge without knowing BTW keep it up and never let diabetes slow you down! ::smiley: the best cure is being proud of diabetes.

(standing…applauding…tears streaming gently down cheek…) So wonderfully poignantly spoken…I hope my son gleans your perspective…I KNOW your family must be so very proud.

Wonderful. Great job!