What does Tudiabetes mean to you

Manny’s Thank You thread got me thinking. Besides how many thank yous Manny should have. How many of you have sat back and thought of what Tudiabetes has done for you, or what it means to you. So I ask those reading this, if you are inclined to post just what does this site mean to you and/or how has it helped you.

I lurked on a few sites while I was in the hospital after my DX and none really clicked with me till I found Tudiabetes.org. I found a wealth of information before joining and once joining I found out not only more information, but a group of caring and wise people. I knew somethings going into life with diabetes but my information was very dated. But through mostly information I have found here I have obtained knowledge and support that I know I would not find anywhere else. I remember my first Endo visit the DE seemed shocked with the knowledge, control and acceptance I had with my diabetes.

Tudiabetes truly is a community there are many here who if I had a chance to meet in the real world I would jump at the chance. I have found a place where I not only feel comfortable, but welcomed.I would like to extend a heart felt Thank you to not only Manny but to Andreina, all the Administration staff and everyone one here. Please never forget not only the good this site has done, but the good you all have done as a team.
Thank you

I found TuDiabetes shortly after recovering from a diabetic coma. I had been really mistreating (I mean that literally!) my diabetes for about 6 months before that, and got wildly out of control, and then couldn’t get back into decent numbers.
Coming here helped me redefine my eating habits, and change my goals for BG levels. Flatliners Club in particular helped me see that, no, peaks over 200 were NOT inevitable, and that near-normal BGs were possible a good percentage of the time, even for a Type 1.

Also, if I’m going to be honest, I’ve enjoyed the opportunity to spout off what knowledge I do have, and hope I have helped other people, too – I want to give back all that I’ve gained from the DOC (I’ve been participating in e-mail lists for about 19 years) and the people who supported me when I was angry, confused and bitter about my diagnosis. Since I can’t pay that debt back, I’d like to pay it forward! :slight_smile:

hi Jim, I found TuDiabetes three years ago when it seemed my diabetes was taking a turn, and I was feeling completely alone with it. I felt very depressed and confused and wanted to give up. When I joined, I was instantly surrounded with caring and helpful people who understood, gave me answers, and most of all, stood by me as I needed to accept that changes had to be made and that I could do it. I’ll never forget the kindness, actually, I’m going to say it, the love I’ve been given, by so many members from all walks of life, from all over the world. Meeting Manny and Andreina in person was an experience I’ll never forget. Thanks for reminding me what an incredible site we have, and how proud I am to be a part of it!

TuD means so much to me! I took Type 1 in the 70’s when you didn’t talk about being diabetic. Manny set up a site many years later where I can tell what I went through back then and also give a little advice on how to keep from doing what I done to get 47 ( hey I was told I wouldn’t live to 30 back then) I tried a few other sites b/f I got here but found that they really didn’t help. Here I have learned so much and hopefully have helped in other area’s. It’s HOME to me.

Oh and I forgot to say the friends I’ve made here. They seem like family to me. I’ve ask and heard many times and got great advice from them

TuDiabetes means to me that I am not alone. People don’t realize that D is as hard as it is. I want people to understand that D isn’t as easy as I might make it look. Only you guys could understand this!

Before TuDiabetes, I had never met another person with LADA. I was the only one I knew who had acquired Type1 after age 30. I felt isolated in my disease. I had had an autoimmune break down that left me with Type 1 as just one of several other autoimmune diseases. Although, I knew I did not cause the disease, I was still embarrassed by it. My own family has never taken the time to understand the disease or my management of it. TuDiabetes was a godsend. First, I was welcomed so warmly that it made me comfortable to jump right in as part of the community. Not only did I find a bunch of other people with LADA but also many were quick to point out to me that Manny was LADA too. Founded by someone with LADA – imagine that!! Until then, all the other sites seemed not to have a place for me – while I was Type 1, I hadn’t acquired it as a child so JDRF was not a good fit. And so much content on the other sites was Type 2 focused. But here, even the non-LADAs on the site seemed to understand so many of my issues and also did not separate me out as not fitting squarely in one group or another. It was focused on all diabetes - even pre-diabetes and friends and family of people with diabetes. I have found an informed, warm, and supportive community here. Finally, I have people of whom to ask questions, to whom I can vent, and who I can even help with my own experience and information. I visit TuDiabetes every day. Doing so has made diabetes management more a part of my life rather than a hurdle with which to contend. I value so many people here and, although we have never met in person, I consider many to be true friends. The advocacy and awareness fostered by DHF and TuDiabetes is priceless. I am forever grateful to Manny, Andreina, and all of the administrators and staff for building and sustaining this safe and welcoming place for all of us.

TuDiabetes has been a “solid rock” for me, a comfort. Since I joined 2 yrs ago I have gone through some pretty hard times, and still am. I never felt like I fit in anywhere or people understood me and my ups and downs with diabetes. I would say that TuDiabetes has been as close to a cure as I will get…it has brought peace, comfort, understanding. Friendship with so many wonderful people that I cherish and truly care about…a sense of belonging. TuDiabetes has enabled me to be me and it is okay.

I am honored, truly grateful for TuDiabetes…this site and the members have been a lifesaver to me. Mentally and physically. Thank you to everyone, I love you…really :slight_smile:

Well said Robyn. You just said what I really think about TuDiabetes.

I joined TuDiabetes in March, 2010. Very simply, it changed my life. My husband says that diabetes is my hobby. I guess it is when you combine the time I spend on my diabetes management and spend on TuD – I enjoy the TuD part! I’ve learned so much, made really good friends, appreciate the photos, and even have some hope that I’ve been helpful to others now and then. As for hobbies, I have two of them – of course the other is my dogs! My profound thanks to Manny and everyone connected with bringing this site to us.

I think it’s great to have somewhere to hang out and talk to people who know. I think about diabetes, what I did, what I’m going to do, etc. all the time and pretty much don’t have anyone else to talk about it with so it’s sort of lonesome. Blogs are ok to read but not as interactive as a message board. The thing missing from a board is involvement from medical providers but I really like TuAnalyze linking science/ research/ medicine with the community. Doctors know we are out there but I don’t see many of them here, except perhaps as participants rather than doing their thing.

If they were going to do their doctor thing, they’d have to get paid for it. The only place I know where a doctor hangs out and will answer questions for no pay (in fact, he supports the group) is diabetesworld@yahoogroups.com. And even then, he only answers unusual questions that intrigue him, or that he feels are not general knowledge. His name is Dr. Arturo Rolla and he teaches at Harvard Medical School in Boston. He’s from Argentina, and then I start to wonder what is it with these incredible South Americans with their brains and activism and get-it-done attitude? (You listening, Manny???) :slight_smile:

Nice topic. I first got online in 1996 and I was wildly enamored of everything cyber. I frequented chatrooms, message boards, made “lifetime friends” and even dated from online connections (before it was super common). I was addicted to my new toy. I type very fast and am very verbal as you all know, so it suited me well. I even got in trouble at work for being online too much. (Does that still happen, or have employers resigned themselves to time lost?). Then I got burned out (and yeah, the online dating life for a woman my age left much to be desired). I stopped living on my computer and just used it for e-mail, information and later to teach.

Fast forward to early 2009. I was living in Guatemala. I had been (mis)diagnosed as Type 2 in July 2007 and oral meds worked fine and my numbers were good for 15 months even without changing my carb heavy vegetarian diet. And then they had started to go up and up. I knew I needed insulin, I just didn’t understand why as I’d “heard” it took 10-15 years for “diabetics” to have to go on insulin. My Guatemalan doctor, also assuming this 60 year old gringa was type 2 put me on too high a dose of basal insulin and I was low before meals and still super high after. I didn’t really understand any of this. I’d moved to Guatemala a month after diagnosis and had gotten little education. My ex-boss had given me a 15-year old diabetes book published by Johns Hopkins. I started rereading it looking for clues about experiences like mine. It was way too old to mention LADA but had a chart with the differences between Type 1 and Type 2, in which it mentioned that Type 1’s were usually diagnosed as children, but sometimes as adults. Hmmmm…could I be Type 1? I realized I needed more and updated info and got online. I first found MedHelp where it was mostly newly diagnosed people who knew as little as I did, but someone mentioned LADA and also gave me this website and another one. (I stayed on MedHelp, giving back for that gift, by telling others about TuD until they finally kicked me off for daring to mention a “competing” site!)

On the two new websites, I learned about everything from LADA to carb counting. I realized from what I heard that my hypothesis was correct and I was in fact LADA/Type 1 and by the time I got in to see an endo in Guatemala City I gave her a list of five things I knew made me LADA and she checked off each one and said, yes, you are type 1. (She admitted she’d never heard of LADA). I’ve since stopped going to the other site, except every once in a blue moon and am on TuD all the time (way too much…fortunately I no longer have a job to get in trouble with!)

My oldest friend is an excellent RN whose medical knowledge I’ve always very much valued and always have said “what does this mean, should I worry, should I go to the doctor” and get excellent advice. Her knowledge of diabetes, like many medical professionals is lacking and outdated; her own Type 2 husband is poorly managing his diabetes assisted by his doctors. She thinks I am “obsessed with diabetes”. I probably am, because as you all know, you need to be obsessed to a degree to manage Type 1. My brother is caring but when I told him about getting a pump this highly intelligent man asked if “I feel it when the pump injects me with a needle before I eat”. He too thinks I am obsessed. So I come here.

TuD is one huge family who live all over the U.S. and in how many countries around the world? (I’d love to know that answer). We are both types and all ages, as well as loved ones. We have had diabetes for 30 years and 30 days. We probably work in every occupation you can think of, but most of the time you don’t know what someone does unless you look at their profile, because it doesn’t matter. You might know someone has limited resources because they ask for advice on free supplies, or that they have ample resources as they ask about international travel with diabetes supplies. But aside from that it doesn’t really matter. What we know about each of the 19,000 people in our amazing family is that they know us and we know them. Because we are all struggling with a chronic condition that isn’t going away anytime soon.

When I was first learning to bolus my endo e-mailed me to take “one to three units before meals”. I wrote back asking about I:C ratios because I’d learned it on here and she had left for vacation and her secretary couldn’t figure how to translate I:C ratio into Spanish. I came on here and posted, Gerri answered and explained how to figure ratios. I was so overwhelmed with everything her words made no sense. I went to bed and the next day got up and found her post and followed it to a “t” . I got up out of bed at 2AM my first night with my pump because the damn tubing was wrapped around me and my cat and I had no clue how to sleep with a pump attached to me. I turned my computer on, posted on here and within 15 minutes I had an excellent suggestion (thanks, Marti!). Information, there is lots of here. Now, two + years in I don’t agree with it all, and I’m sure people don’t always agree with me. But we usually disagree nicely, and go ahead and “take what you need and leave the rest”. But there is way more than information and experience here. There is caring. When someone is freaking out, people seem instinctively to know the right combination of comfort and data they need. When someone is new and ask a question that’s been asked a thousand times before, someone always takes the time to answer the 1,001st. When someone comes on announcing a website they’ve just discovered that has the cure for diabetes and all you have to do is stop taking insulin eat an ounce a day of eye of newt, nobody laughs, but they gently encourage the person not to throw out the insulin vial just yet. If you called your doctor’s office at 3AM you’d get a machine or a service. If and when the doctor called back you’d be told to make an appointment. Sometimes at the appointment you will be told to “eat more carbs, you’re starving” or “take these two meds in addition to the five you already take”. If you’re lucky, you have a doctor who respects how much you know and how hard you work, and is willing to work with you. Then, if you are lucky and have good insurance you pay your co-pay and go home. Here, at 3AM you get an answer from someone or several someones who has been exactly where you are at, respects you and supports you in whatever you need, whether it’s picking yourself up after 10 years of ignoring your diabetes or adjusting to your first pump. And they don’t charge you or your insurance a dime.

Thanks so much for all the incredibly kind comments!!! I am… really touched!!!

The thanks go out to you, from all those you have touched.

I was going to say the samething Jim. Manny we all honer you!

TuDiabetes is a lifer saver. I have learned a lot here. It is nice to log in when you have a question and get 20 different opinions.

Here’s something Crystal Bowersox said in a recent interview:
http://www.tudiabetes.org/video/how-tudiabetes-helped-crystal

I have been a member of TD since the beginning.
Last fall, I was in the hosipital for 4.5 months and almost died 3 times. The acts of love and kindness that came my way from TD were priceless. It still brings a tear to my eye.
It feels wonderful to feel so deeply connected to so many people, and to continue to make new friends.

I had lived a very lonely life with Type 1 since my childhood, not ever thinking to look on the internet for others like myself. I was newly married, desperate to get my A1c down to the recommended levels for pregnancy, desperate to have a baby, desperate for a better understanding of this condition.

I joined here in the early summer of 2008. Manny, Kristin, Doris - they welcomed me and made me feel at home instantly. By August, I was one of the first admins. Two months after that, my A1c was already in the 6s and I was released to get pregnant. In 2009, I helped facilitiate our amazing No Sugar Added Poetry initiative, became the lead admin, and most importantly to me, navigated my way through a healthy pregnancy. In 2010, my husband and I welcomed our perfect daughter into our lives.

I’ve met several friends from TuDiabetes - locally and not so locally. It has helped me connect with the DFW-IUG support group for adults in my area, the DFW Families of Type 1 Diabetics group on yahoo, and the Positive Diabetic Pregnancies group on yahoo. In 2009, my husband and I spent a weekend in California getting to know Manny and Andreina and, in 2010, we took our baby on her first plane trip so that I could spend a few days communing with my D-BFF Kristin when she was visiting her family here in the States. These moments of genuine connection are guilty pleasures that I will always treasure.

For the first time in my life, I feel empowered about my diabetes, even on my worst days. I’m reminded that you all know what my day is like because you’ve had that day - the good day, the bad day, the meh day. I’m reminded that I have experiences to share and that one of you may have an idea that I need to hear.

I credit TuDiabetes with being a support community, a reference tool, a motivational coach, and a place where I can document my ups and downs. I never knew what friends I had until I made my home here.