The upcoming Solo Pump from Medingo - Anyone testing them yet?

I’ve been MDI for 1 year now. Was diagnosed last Jan. I’ve kept very good AIC values all year long. From 5.1 to 5.4.

But I fight morning highs almost every day. And I travel for my job about 90% of the time. So I've thought about moving to a pump. But I just don't want to hassle with the tubes.

I wear the Dexcom 7+ sensor now. And I've become used to something stuck to me for 7 or more days at a time. And I was interested in the OmniPod at one point. But it just looked too big and I didn't like the potential waste of insulin if you needed to remove for any reasons.

I came across the Solo pump last week and read that it went into testing this year and would be released later in the summer I think.

Anyone have their 2 cents worth on this product and possible anyone that's used it yet?

Not really. I only live for now and hope that technology or biology catches up. I am on the omnipod and it’s an advancement over MDI. Good luck in whatever you decide to do, diabetes management is a very personal thing. What ever works for you, will be the best treatment. Take care and just enjoy life.

If you’re already using the Dexcom, you might be interested to know that Omnipod is applying to the FDA (here in the first quarter) to be integrated w/ the Dexcom. So you would be able to have insulin pump and CGM all in head unit.
I have used the pod for over a year now, and I don’t think it’s too big to me. I also have minimal waste with insulin as well. The omnipod is obviously on the market now. The solo will be hitting the market in limited areas (i.e. really populated areas like Chi-town and east coast or west coast in major cities) by the middle of the year, and then maybe by the end of the year they would have a full scale roll out (but that later part is speculation, as the company is being pretty tight lipped about it). So if you were looking to jump on board something now, your only tubeless option at this point is the pod.
I think a pump can definitely help fight those morning highs (by adjusting basal rates, etc). Good luck in your quest to get those numbers in check!

I received the sample Solo and wore it for 3 days and completely forgot it was on!! I’ve been MDI for 35 years and only now considered a pump. Not interested in the tubing. You can order a dummy sample and take a closer look. I heard they were starting limited distribution (free for 3 months to a trial group) to get their support up and running before selling to the public. I signed up to be in their test group but apparently they haven’t started yet or it isn’t in my area, never heard back.
I’m really interested in this and hope they hurry. It is suppose to be released this year but when exactly I don’t know and can’t find any answers. Let me know if you find out anything more.

I’m also very interested in the Solo. I suspect the timeline for their rollout has been delayed a bit from their original plan to begin their PEP early in 2010 (unless “early 2010” means anytime in the 1st quarter). You might consider getting the Omni now and then switch to the Solo in a year’s time when the Omni warranty expires and Solo is likely to be available. Insulet is going to shrink the pod size supposedly within this year. Personally, I don’t mind the pod size but I hope the Solo will waste less electronics and therefore be 30-40% cheaper.

I also don’t want tubes and would get the Omnipod but the cost for me after insurance is substantial compared to regular pumps and so I keep hesitating. I don’t have morning highs, though. which would be a different situation.

I don’t know if the trials have started yet.

I wore both the dummy omnipod and the dummy solo. I liked that the solo was detachable, as well. Plus, it was smaller. When you get the dummy solo, they say IF there is a test group in your area (which is a 90 day trial so they can work out kinks) , if you are interested, you may be able to try it for free for the test period, and you have to give feedback. I am sure they will also send out a mass mailing when the trial is complete to let us know it is now available…

I got the sample demo to check it out myself. I took some pics of it and will try to post some soon. I used Omnipod originally but switched to the MM 722. It looks promising and is smaller then the Omnipod.You should definately go to their website and order a demo.

I also sent for a sample Omnipod and wore it but I don’t think I lasted 3 days, it was definitely bigger or maybe the better description is bulkier, than the Solo and more uncomfortable.

I ordered the sample last week. Just waiting for it now. I’d love to be in the test group as well. But I can wait as well.

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone.

Have you gotten your Solo?!

Not yet. I’m bummed. I really want to see the size of this device.

Should be soon. Don’t remember mine taking too long. Maybe this week!?

I am a former pumper (I hated tubing, although the primary reason I discontinued with pumping was due to insurance issues … long story on that, but I never suffered at all in terms of glycemic control; my HbA1c is as good now as it ever was on the pump, but pumps to offer the ability to refine dosages better and if your basal needs vary considerably throughout the day, that can be a huge benefit in terms of control). I am considering a return to a pump, provided it has some of the features of the Mendingo Solo. Its a bit thinner, and perhaps the most notable feature for me is that it can be controlled (at least partially) from buttons directly on the pod itself, so if you forget the remote at home (something I’ve been known to do with my cell phone, my meter, etc.), your dinner out isn’t spoiled because you can’t bolus for your meal because you can simply press buttons on the Solo pump itself to bolus. I also like the ability to remove it without discarding the entire pod. My understanding is that the next generation Omnipod will also have these features, but so far, Mendingo’s Solo will have a significant head start, as Omnipod will still need to attain FDA approval for next generation designs. As for combined functionality, that sounds nice, but CGMS systems still have their flaws, not the least of which is that it is still a struggle to attain insurance coverage for them; the business model of pricing the sensors the way they do is pound-wise and penny-foolish, but in the absence of any reforms to healthcare, they’re free to do what the companies want.

Recieved this email from Medingo yesterday. Last time I spoke to Susie was last november and she stated that the PEP trials would initialy start on the east coast. She also told me that they wanted 12-15 people from each endo’s pratice to participate. Of course I provided her my endo’s and CDE’s office number. They will provide ninety days worth of supplies free during the trails. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I can participate. I’m suffering too many pod failures and wasting insulin. Overall I think the solo’s design is superior to the pod’s.

Jeff,

Thanks for contacting us regarding the Solo MicroPump.

We have not begun PEP trials yet but expect to do so in the very near future. If you signed up for the Solo MicroNews, you will notified when we go live.

Take care,

Susie

Susie Kagel, Customer Service Representative

Medingo US,Inc.
1-877-765-6494
www.solo4you.com

susiek@medingo.com

I can hardly wait. It may not be an improvement but I’d likt to at least try. Should I contact my Doctor and let them know I’m interested or should I give Solo his name?

Finally go the sample pump today. Wow! I’m amazed at it’s size and weight. This would be great for my lifestyle. The only thing I’m truly worried about is how well it will stick when working out or swimming. I wear the Dexcom 7+ and have had issues with it after a couple of days.

But now just to wait for when it comes out.

I know! It’s totally a perfect size. I wore it in the shower 2 or 3 times and it did come a bit loose by the 3rd day. We’ll see!

Barb, I would contact Susie at the email address in my post. Also if your endo has a large multi partner practice, there may be a person within the practice that handles new technologies and medical trials. Let that person know you would be interested. Once you really look into how the Solo functions I think you’ll realize it’s many advantages over the pod. A few are the ability to bolus at the pump, in case you forget your pdm, you’ll receive two pump motors one is a spare backup. If a motor malfunctions you just snap in the spare, saves your insulin and cannula patch, You won’t be throwing out all that technology every three days. The pump head last three months, a new one is mailed to you and you always have a spare on hand.

Thanks for the info Jeff!

The actual patch should be fine (assuming the glue on the real deal resembles the glue on the samples)…you could also use some skin-tac or something like that to help it stick. The one thing I’d note is that the pump is not waterproof, so if you swim for any length of time you may experience the same missed basal, post-workout highs that you would from a tubed pump (b/c you’ll be forced to disconnect and not receive insulin during that time). I think b/c of the nature of the removable reservoir from the electronic part, that’s where the waterproof issue comes into play. The ‘fully attached’ patch design is pretty good though, so hopefully if you go with this pump it will fit well with your lifestyle! :slight_smile: