Thirst Factor

I was sitting here thinking about this and was reading on google about extreme thirst and Type 2.

I noticed that I drink A LOT through out the day… I have this constant thirst all day long. I can drink 3, 4,5 bottles of water or a whole pitcher of unsweet tea ( throughout the day not at one time) , or multiple glasses of tap water a day and STILL be thirsty.

It seems like I am going to the kitchen A LOT through out the day for something to drink.

But my numbers are good. I mean my last a1c check as ya’ll know was 5.4. My numbers do come down after 2 hours after eating. I have had a time or two this week and last week where I was still like 130 after 2 hours but checking again after about an hour I am back down to normal 100’s again.

Yes I have a family history of Type 2 as ya’ll know… My mother and her sister, her brother, her father. My 2 great aunts. and Grandma on Dads side.

But I don’t see any of my other family members drinking a lot? Even my own mother who’s a Type 2 doesn’t drink a lot either. She can have a ROUTE 44 drink from Sonic last from the time we get it during happy hour from 2 to 4 pm last her until bedtime. Me, drinks last like 30 sec ( But I only get a large though). I can have the drink, drunk before we even get half way home and the closest sonic is like 2 1/2 miles up the road from me.

Yes, I read some meds can cause thirst… But thirst that is this bad though?

This is something I am going to bring up with the new doctor when I see him next week. I wonder what all of this means? Am I really a Type 2 or could it be, and I read this can happen a " once fat but has lost a lot of weight with HBP ( now under control ) LADA and not know it"? I have not had any GAD or C-PEPTIDE tests ran on me.

I read that IN SOME CASES… There can be " OVERWEIGHT LADA’S" who get diagnosed as Type 2 but then that all changes later after testing.

What do ya’ll think?

I also have EXTREME HUNGER a couple hours after eating… I know that we eat around 4 to 4:30 to 5 PM at the latest…But we normally stick to around 4 to 4:30… But still, by like 7 or 8 PM I am hungry again and I am wanting something to snack on.

I don’t know about your thirst symptoms but it seems unusual enough to talk to your doctor about. Since a none-too-small group of actual T1Ds are misdiagnosed with T2D and made to suffer through inappropriate therapy, I would push for getting a c-peptide blood test.

If it’s high, it confirms T2D but if it’s low, it supports a T1D diagnosis. Just tell your doc that with the number of misdiagnosed people who doctors think are T2Ds and end up being T1Ds, you would find value in ruling out this possibility – maybe call it due diligence.

Metabolically healthy non-diabetics will not just be in the low 100s but are usually below 100 or 90.

You may have shared this in another thread, can you remind us what you typically eat? What types of food do you consume and how often do you eat? Do you snack between meals? Do you snack in the evening?

While a 5.4% A1c is excellent if you’re diagnosed diabetic, metabolically healthy non-diabetics will usually report A1c’s below 5.0%.

Extreme hunger a few hours after eating is often reported by people whose staple foods are heavy in processed carbs (bread, rice, noodles, potatoes) and lack the staying power of protein and fat components. Not sure what your situation is but this is something to consider.

1 Like

I seriously doubt it could be co-Existent Diabetes Mellitus and Diabetes Insipidus. Not only is DI quite rare but to co-exist with DM is incredibly rare.

Diabetes insipidus does not affect blood glucose levels, but causes extreme thirst and urination. DI is definitely genetic.

I am hesitant to post this as it may be just a bunch of hooey. Don’t dwell on it too much.

If you eat a lot of carbohydrates especially sugar in the form of fructose and sucrose which is found in processed foods and soft drinks, then it is possible that even after a big meal you are hungry again in two to 3 hours. Just a possibility.

I have been trying to stay away from bread and muffins. Limit sweets. Eating more protein, salads, colorful veggies, beans, etc.

Now I still do have A PIECE of bread from time to time but I try to limit that.

I only drink coffee,Diet Coke Caf free, unsweet tea w/ sweet-n-low and flavored water.

I would tend to think that your thirst has little or nothing to do with your diabetes. Those of use who had desperate thirst before a diabetes diagnosis, especially a Type 1 diagnosis, were running blood sugars in the 3, 4, 5, 600’s or higher before diagnosis. Our kidneys were flushing every bit of liquid from our bodies. Although a short-lived high BG can cause some people to pee a lot and get thirsty, I don’t think it would be a continuing issue as you describe. Best to consult your doctor.

What your described doesn’t actually sound like a lot of water to me. The general rule for proper hydration is half your body weight (lbs) in ounces of water. The old “8 cups of water a day” adage only holds water (cheesy pun intended) if you weigh 130ish pounds.
The average 190lb American male needs roughly 95 ounces of water a day, nearly that 5 bottles you mentioned. And that doesn’t take into account the dehydrating things we do, like ingesting salt/caffeine/alcohol/processed foods, breathing with your mouth open, medications, activity, exposure to heat and/or dry climates including air conditioned spaces, etc… All these dehydrating things equal more water you need to drink to compensate.

The diet coke, coffee, and unsweetened tea really aren’t actually hydrating you. They don’t count. It requires other water to process them. No wonder you’re thirsty! (Though honestly, I would never begrudge anyone tea, it’s a TINY “evil” compared to the others, with other mitigating benefits.)

It’s a big problem nowadays with so many other options available, and most of those options are terrible for us. It’s part of the massive nutritional crisis we’re in. In my former profession, it was like pulling teeth trying to get patients to drink their water!

Listen to your body. If you’re thirsty, you’re already dehydrated.

1 Like

Big tobacco big food and big pharma. Profit and greed have killed hundreds of millions in this country alone.

I’m always thirsty. I have 4 beverages at any given time. I love beverages. I’m sure this has SOMETHING to do with diabetes, but maybe not entirely. It might also be a bit psychological from being diabetic a long time and hating being thirsty. IDK

I drink a lot of water, I also drink coffee which ads to being thirsty because it’s a diuretic.
I’m sure I drink more than 100 ounces of fluid a day. Maybe 80 percent water

I also live in a very arid climate, and I’m active.
So there are a lot of variables.

I don’t really count how much I drink, I can tell when I’m dehydrated. My eyes feel dry then my mouth feels dry.

I also do a lot of drinking,nonalcohol . Split,water,tea,some soda,hot chocolate. I was even like this pre D. Nancy50

1 Like