Tresiba Basal Insulin

Update from my side. Went to the endo on thursday and my A1C was a freaking 6.6!!! Gosh i didnt expect that😊 Endo said i could go even lower with diligently prebolusing, working on that now😊
On another note, while in Greece a week ago i unfortunately forgot my tresiba shot at 9pm. While a forgotten levemir shot would have probably sent me into the 20s or 30s, i didnt go over 15 all night long, with correcting with novorapid at 4am. Makes me feel a lot safer😊

1 Like

HOw is the AFrezza working for you? I have BCBS and would have to appeal to even be considered for it. IS it worth the fight?

Hi Lcakes. I use it sparingly now and it is still the best fast acting insulin on the market by far. I am basically on Tresiba and NovoLog. When I used Afrezza on a consistent basis (for all boluses and corrections) I developed a constrictive cough. This happened twice to me and both times I stopped my cough went away. I had a follow up lung test and all was well, but the cough was annoying and a bit concerning.

Any chance you could get a trial pack before jumping through hoops with BCBS?

I am currently using Lantus, 13 units at 6 PM daily. I also use my pump for my overnight basal needs if I am sick of the pen stick every night and I feel like tubing up from 6 PM to 6 AM. I am giving some thought to switching to Tresiba and giving up Lantus that I have been taking for several years now and of course the pump, which I hate to use even just for over night basal delivery. Hate the tube.

My questions are:

1. What would be a good starting daily dose of Tresiba to replace 13 daily units of Lantus.
  2. Lantus can sometime add a sting and pain to the injection routine. Does Tresiba come with a sting or injection pain?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

I would replace 13 units daily of lantus directly with 13 units of tresiba daily. I’ve never felt stinging with tresiba, but I didn’t notice it with lantus much either so I might be kind of numb to it.

Hey Bob - starting with 13u is a good suggestion by @Sam19.

Make sure you give the Tresiba a couple days to stabilize.

Also - i’ve not had any pain or stinging with Tresiba.

Good luck!!!

Here’s a thread with more discussion on the Lantus “sting” Switching from Lantus to Levemir - #9 by Sam19. I have limited experience with Tresiba, but found it to be a great MDI basal. Lantus is my least favorite; I currently use Levemir.

I’m doubtful that it is a version of Levemir, since I’m wretchedly allergic to Levemir and have been taking Tresiba for about a week now. I absolutely love the stuff.

No it’s definitely not a version of levemir… Completely different formulation… I agree it’s very good stuff and would predict that it’ll ultimately make pumping insulin a relic of history

While I’m pretty impressed with Tresiba’s “track record” to date and how very effective it is for many PWD who have had poor duration of and/or consistency of action with the other long-acting basal insulins, I wouldn’t go so far as to say “that it’ll ultimately make pumping insulin a relic of history”. While it is clearly a far more effective basal insulin for many people, I’m not sure it would work as effectively as a pump does for someone like my daughter who needs a significantly higher basal rate for a period of time in the evening to combat some ridiculous highs due to growth hormones, and then needs to suspend basal insulin delivery altogether on occasion when puberty hormones randomly stop flowing and she experiences an extended and treatment-resistant low from the depths of D-hell. I’ve suggested to her that she might consider going back to MDI with Tresiba or alternately trying the Tresiba basal insulin + Afrezza insulin for corrections and boluses regimen that seems to work amazingly well for several TuD members (once she finishes puberty.) But at this point in time she is adamant about continuing to pump. She loves her Pods and I think that pumping means so much to her because we had to fight so hard to get her now-ex endo to prescribe a pump after she was diagnosed.

1 Like

I agree that your thought process is 100% logical and makes 100% perfect sense

I’d also point out though that the entire reason that led me to my own doctors office was because I felt that I required far far less insulin in the evening than the morning— I actually wanted levemir so that I could take it once a day and count on it being pretty much completely “worn off” about 6 hours / day… believe me I wanted to rip my hair out when my doctor proposed that what I really needed was the insulin that “never wears off”. That was almost the exact opposite of what I was trying to communicate to him that I needed. It turns out though in hindsight that it’s worked phenomenally well for me, even though all logic dictated that it would not… Turns out he was right.

1 Like

I am taking a pump break for about a month and I have decided to try Tresiba, so I am interested in all the comments and feedback in this thread.

1 Like

I split dose my Tresiba. I took a pump vacation and the first few days were horrible. The endo told me to take 35 units as my pump basal was 33 units… Yeah apparently I need way more.

So 8am I take 40 units of Tresiba and at 5:30pm I take another 14units. This prevents the overnight highs that kept creeping in. Now I’m slowly dialing back the number of units since my body seems to be adapting back to MDI and I’m seeing lows.

My teenage son just ditched OmniPod (which we liked) and switched to Afrezza/Tresiba. Took a week to get dosages figured out. So far, seems like an improvement in his life (no pods to sweat off prematurely throughout the summer) and steadier blood sugars. Very expensive, however.

2 Likes

I don’t know about inlusin/pump prices in the U.S., but is it more expensive than the pod was? just curious.
glad your son likes it, i, too, am very happy with tresiba and love my somewhat new independence so far :slight_smile:

The combination of Afrezza/Tresiba is more expensive than the OmniPod/Humalog combination. (We are covered by a high deductible health plan in the US.) My son eats a high carbohydrate diet, which demands so much more insulin. If he ate a low carb diet, I believe that Afrezza/Tresiba would be cheaper.

Sorry, i didn’t read that about the afrezza, i thought you had just switched to tresiba alone. Gosh that afrezza must be expensive if it goes over the price of an omnipod…

I was given Tresiba upon initial diagnosis. It worked fine and the shots didn’t hurt the way Lantus does. Unfortunately, my insurance won’t cover it. Even with the coupon card, they won’t provide it because Tresiba wants you to stay on it after the coupon is over so no insurance = no Tresiba.
My dosing was the same with Tresiba as it is with Lantus.

If you don’t like Lantus you might try Levemir until your coverage includes Tresiba.

Hello everyone! :slight_smile: First day using Tresiba. Been on the pump for a little over 3 years. Started my initial dose today in the morning 10am 30 units. My dose with the pump was around 34.75, but not straight (programmed different for different times of the day/meals). I until 3pm everything was fine and then it started to raise at around 3pm to now 200. Should I correct with Apidra or just wait a bit more? If I do correct, add the added insulin to the total basal in around 2-3 days? I guess I will take 35 units tomorrow to match my pump’s dose … Great info here! Thanks!