Trouble with Dexcom G7 over patch

Hello,
Who here is on Dexcom G7? I don’t know what my problem is, but I’m haivng trouble using the included over patch. It’s much smaller and harder for me to hold on to. I keep getting it stuck on my fingers before I can get it over the sensor. Do you guys have any helpful tips for putting it on? Also, if you have any product recommendations for spare patches (since I mess mine up), please let me know.
Thanks!

2 Likes

How are you doing with the G7?
If you call support I am sure they will send you another package of over patches. I also screw one up with fat finger disease.

1 Like

Consider putting the patch on your arm and then poking the sensor on top of the over patch instead of having it on top.
It depends why you are using it. If you are just wanting it to be more secure then this is the way, if you are a big swimmer, maybe the overpatxh is better, but I use a g6 with the patch under and it remains waterproof for showers etc.

2 Likes

contents removed by original author

2 Likes

Thanks for this link and the tips. They sent me another sensor because the first one fell off after 3 days without the patch, but I don’t think they will keep doing that if I keep messing up the patches. Is frustrating.

I like the G7 overall. The shorter warm up time is really nice and the accuracy seems just as good if not better than G6. The only issue I’ve had so far besides the overpatch is I seem to experience more signal loss at a distance. It doesn’t seem to have the range the G6 had, but it could have been that first sensor. We’ll see as I use more of them.

Have also found it hard, but with experience and reminding myself to take the whole sensor replacement process slowly and calmly, it’s gotten better.

1 Like

I found the same issue with the overpatch for the G7, which i’m rather new to using. Now, this is not easy, but i found that with a very thin screwdriver (such as one used for eyeglass screws) i could shimmy the screwdriver between the green wrap and sticky overpatch. Not much. About 1/4 inch. Just enough to grab hold of. Do that on both ends of the patch, where the green plastic overhangs a bit. Once the sensor is in, i put down the patch and have something to grab and lift up the green plastic. (See photo.) Honestly this has not worked every time. In fact, at the moment i have a sensor with the overpatch AND green plastic cover AND one of the G6 overpatches. I also use Skin Tac liquid adhesive before anything goes on. I may never get this one off! :joy:

2 Likes

I forgot to say, once i’ve shimmied in the screwdriver, i bend over the green plastic so i have something to grab onto to lift up the green plastic.

1 Like

I wish Dexcom would simply make a product that we do not have to spend more money on to keep in place.

3 Likes

I agree

A very creative method!

I just received my first batch of G7’s Tuesday. I have never needed an overpatch with the G6. I attach the device to my upper front shoulder and it has always stayed in place. What is different about the G7? Folks I know who have upgraded to the G7 have had 7 or more of their sensors fall off their upper arm and have been told they are no longer eligible for replacements. I still have a few G6’s left… I am thinking I should use them up. Not a permanent solution, but biding time for perhaps a work around. What is your experience?

I think part of the issue is there is less tape around the sensor with the G7 than there was with the G6, so less surface area to adhere to the skin. Each sensor comes with an included patch. I highly recommend you use the patch, because it seems like the sensor will not stay on more than a few days without the patch.

I think you are right. I wonder that Dexcom did not do enough testing on real humans doing real stuff. Another 1/2” would not add much in the way of cost and might be enough to prevent failures.

I am sticking with G6, well I have no choice with C-IQ, but even when Tandem works with G7, I will probably stay with G6 as long as I can.

Besides the adhesive failures, it appears that the built in transmitter has a weaker Bluetooth signal making sensor to pump drop outs more likely.

Same for me. Have 5 days left on current G6 transmitter, so another 90+ days to stick with G6+ Tandem.
Look forward to others sharing their experience once available.

2 Likes

I have definitely noticed a weaker signal as well, which is disappointing.

1 Like

I just put the g7 sensor on for the first time yesterday. To say the patch was a nightmare is actually being kind. After a complete and utter instant failure with the patch, I got out an old g6 patch, cut it in half and removed about 1/4” from the center hole and then applied the two pieces. Moderate success with that. The supplied one is too small and for me, mostly useless one handed in the mirror. Poor design for sure.

Has anyone used it on the stomach yet? What results have you had? I’m sure using the supplied patch with both hands would be so much easier than on the back of my arm.

Funny, but I used to use the Libre system on the back of my arm and that adhesive was so strong, I had to get Unisolve to get it off. That took 20+ minutes to do. One reason I switched to dexcom actually. Maybe…. If dexcom would add enough material to the device to start with, I would not need the stupid overpatch. I wonder if dexcom is listening???

7 Likes

contents removed by original author

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, John_Bowler. I just put on my second G7 sensor but messed up the patch so bad that it was useless. So I called Dexcom and asked if they could send me another overpatch but was told that they do not have separate overpatches for the G7, just for the G6. However, they are sending me a whole new sensor. They should get the message soon if they keep getting calls about those dastardly overpatches that come with the G7 sensors.

3 Likes