Type 1, having spikes in my first trimester and freaking out!

So I just found out 4 days ago that I am pregnant. I am currently 5 weeks. My latest HbA1C was a 7.1 - so not horrible but definitely higher then my team wants it. I have a Medtronic pump and a CGM - I changed all of my settings so that if my sugar goes over 140 I get an alarm… The first 3 days after I found out were fine - i had some highs of 160-170 but they were within 2 hours of eating and by the time I got to the 2 hour window marker I was at or below 140. I already met with my OBGYN and Endocrinologist to stay on top of the situation. Last night I had a craving for ice cream so I measured out a 1/2 cup serving and dosed for the carbs (using the adjusted settings that my Endo set up for me) I woke up at 2am over 200 so I took a bolus, then again at 5:30 over 200 so I took another bolus. It’s 8am now, all I have had is decaf coffee (and I drink it black) and I am still at over 200 and took yet another bolus! I thought my Endo was crazzy when she said she wanted to see me every week but I am really scared now! I am so petrified that something horrible is going to happen as the babies heart, brain, liver, nervous system are developing now. Has anyone else gone thru something similar? I would appreciate any advice, insight, stories with happy endings,

By the second time I corrected, I would have taken an injection for my correction and changed my set. Was the 200 on the CGM and did you double check with the BG meter? I’m not asking to be insulting, I just know that sometimes I’m tired and I get annoyed and don’t do everything that the pump training told me to do.

The other thing that I would say is that your insulin needs are going to fluctuate widely. The complaint I’ve heard from many Type 1 women is that their insulin needs went WAY up. So, this may be that. Can you contact someone from your care team today to let them know or ask them what’s up?

By the way, congratulations!

I would hope other female members will chime in, but my understanding is that you can become insulin resistant during pregnancy. You may find you need to make major adjustments to address the changes in your body during this time. Please don’t freak out, you will get this under control and you won’t let these highs persist and affect you or your child.

2 Likes

In pregnancy blood sugars have a life if their own. Your carb:insulin requirements can change rapidly. I found I had to correct aggressively and test frequently. Ideally you’d get a gcm if you don’t have one already.

Drink plenty of water. Maybe your basal insulin already needs to increase. Correct again, if still needed. I found I had to eat low carb because i reacted so strongly to carbs (there are no essential carbs - baby get your blood sugar levels, plenty of good nutrition from proteins, healthy fats, non sweet fruits, and veges.

2 Likes

Congratulations!!! I am 30 weeks with my first :slight_smile: I got pregnant and my A1C was probably around 7 like yours but has been in the mid 5s throughout pregnancy and if I can do it anyone can! I had to increase my insulin at the beginning of the first trimester (basal and bolus). I never had the crazy lows everyone talks about - I think I decreased insulin a little from weeks 8-12 but up till 8 weeks I was pretty insulin resistant… The first two trimesters were easier in my opinion (now in my third I am making changes on at least a weekly basis of not more, and taking A LOT of insulin - for instance my I:C was about 1:8 in the first trimester and for most of the second. I am now doing 1:3.5 for breakfast and 1:4 for other meals. In addition my total Levemir dose went from about 12 units to 20!). I think the best thing you can do is figure out your basals, especially overnight so you are consistently flat-lining in double digits and wake up at a great fasting number - it makes all the difference!! If I wake up high it throws off half of my day and I always require more insulin to correct than what I normally would if I am high in the am… I also found that not eating after 7 pm helps reduce the variables overnight (in terms of protein and fat digestion) helping me achieve a good fasting. I also don’t eat until I am in the normal range usually if I can help it… I also found out years ago that weighing food works out much better than “measuring a half a cup” for instance. I would be appalled about some product labels and how what I thought was a half a cup was by weight way more than that! And I second the lower carb choices, but you will have to individualize and see what works best for you! Ok, that was a long reply :slight_smile: you got this!! We are all here for you!

2 Likes

how are things going for you @tarasfrey?