Type 1 risk in kids (without it yet) and milk consumption in the first 24 months of life

I already have two kids, (now 9 and 12, soon to be 10 and 13) who as of right now haven't contracted the type 1 fun that I had to go through at around the age of 10.
I am in a different relationship now and have another on the way.

With my first batch were babies we had read the then fairly new idea that bovine milk could raise the chances of contracting type 1, and so just to be on the safe side kept them away from it for the first two years of life.

Now I have another on the way, I'm revisiting this theory, only to find (surprise surprise) that the likelihood of this being true or not is heavily argued and have the studies conducted about milk consumption before the age of around 24 months massively contradict themselves, with the latest study that I just read about claiming that it seems to make absolutely no difference at all in their study cases, but also goes on to say that this doesn't mean it won't still stop those test kids who are not consuming bovine milk from increasing their chances of contracting when they may not have if they had abstained.
I believe there are still 3 years left on this particular study, until those children involved reach the age of ten.

Is there a reliable (read realistic) rule of thumb here yet?

Did anyone else take this precaution?

Many thanks.

Rob.

Really? Nobody has any input or suggestions?

I was hoping to glean some perspective from those parents in the same boat. Even if you haven't heard of this and to hear about what you did in your situations, and if it turned out the way you expected.

Again, many thanks.

Hi Rob
Not a parent here, i only know i was breastfed for the first year of my life and still got Type 1. Breastfeeding is the best way for babies for sure, not only to lower Type 1 risks, but for the overall health. to avoid bovine milk is for sure not a big deal, so why not stay on the safe side?
on the other hand, whether this is true or not, bovine milk can only be a small piece of a huge patchwork that triggers t1, otherwise they would have noticed that sooner…
I really am just throwing out some thoughts, maybe this group
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/diabeticparents
knows more.
Wishing you and your girlfriend/fiancee/wife and the little one all the best and hopefully no Diabetes Dx in the future!

I have to tell you, the ties of T1 to milk (and to a certain degree other environmental factors) remains guilt by association. If I recall Dan Hurley talks about the milk association in his book "Diabetes Rising." Even if there is an strong association that doesn't mean that eliminating milk will necessarily do anything at all to the risk of T1. It is after all just an association. In order to really establish evidence that restricting milk makes a difference we really need to do controlled studies and that is where we haven't come up with any compelling evidence.

And as we weigh the possibility of reduced risks you also have to weigh in the potential for negative effects. Milk is after all a great source of nutrition, what would you replace it with? Orange juice? Certainly not. Goat milk? Good luck. Soy or almond milk? That may be even worse for a growing child.

I wish I had better answers. I do agree with swisschocolate, breastfeeding is best and I would even argue that you should continue breastfeeding for at least two years well beyond when other foods are introduced.

I do not have type 1 (not typed yet and assuming I am type 2), but both my husband and I have Celiac Disease which has a strong link to type 1. I have Hashi’s thyroiditis along with milk and egg allergies. We did not introduce milk, eggs, or gluten until she was a year old. I breastfed until she was 2 years, 3 months. Did it help? At 13 she has not tested positive to Celiac disease, is not diabetic and can handle milk without issues. Not sure is this is just luck, as new studies show that gluten should be introduced at six months.

My heart goes out to you! In any case, I loved breastfeeding and I strongly support it.

I think breastfeeding your kids is important, not really because of diabetes risk, but because of the overall health benefits swisschocolate mentioned.

Personally, of the unproven T1 risk associations that are talked about in the media (like Hurley's book), I prefer the theory that there is an association with too much cleanliness. It seems reasonable to me that protecting your kids from too many autoimmune challenges could end up leading to an autoimmune overreaction like T1 diabetes. So my advice would be to let your kids play in the mud, and don't buy antiseptic wipes.

Hi Rob,
My kiddo did not have an option as I did not produce any breast milk so she had formula, and then whole milk. She was a healthy young 'un and never had any illness other than the normal kid stuff.
I think breastfeeding is the best option if possible for all the reasons already discussed, not to mention it's way less expensive than formula!

My brother and myself are diabetic because we have a history of it in our family tree. We have a bunch of other siblings who are not diabetic. All of us drank formula and then milk, and a lot of it as kids! I doubt milk is the trigger.

Congratulations on the "one on the way" news!

I'm an adult onset type 1. I was breastfed and it didn't stop type 1 from happening eventually. I also didn't have an antiseptic childhood but I am kind of a clean freak in some ways anyway. I think breastfeeding is a good idea for many reasons unless the mom is on some unsafe medication or can transmit a disease/virus or there are other health issues. There are many theories but as of yet know really knows what may trigger type 1.

I was breastfed until I was close to 24 months. Diagnosed at 9 years old. I have heard all of the theories. Milk, immunization reaction, high fever when I was a child, etc. I also breastfed my 3 kids for 24 months. I did not take any precautions with them, they are now 4, 15 and 17. None have diabetes as of yet. I could worry myself sick every day or sit back and give it to the higher power. If it's meant to be......