Type 2 Diabetic Comedian dies

Patrice O'Neal died yesterday from a stroke as stated by the media. What they are not stating is he was a diabetic. If you saw the roast of Charlie Sheen he was the last comedian to roast him. Through out the event the other guest comedians teased him about being Black with Diabetes. As with a roast almost anything goes.

O'Neal suffered a stroke in October after a long battle with diabetes. The announcement about his condition was made by a group of his friends and peers on the popular Sirius radio show, but few details have been made known since then at the wishes of his family. I just wonder if he was really taking care of himself.

From his website:
It is with terrible sadness we must report that Patrice O'Neal has passed away this morning at 7:00am due to the complications of the stroke he suffered on October 19. Many of us have lost a close and loved friend; all of us have lost a true comic genius. His mother, who was also his best friend, was at his side. Patrice is survived by his wife, Vondecarlo; his step daughter Aymilyon, sister Zinder, and his mother Georgia. The family wishes to thank all of the fans and friends who have expressed an outpouring of love and support for Patrice these past weeks. We ask that you please respect the family's request for privacy at this difficult time.

I happened to have the boob tube on this morning and they were talking about this. I don't remember most of it, but near the end of the discussion Joy Behar said something like she didn't know if he was a '1' or a '2', but '2' is a lifestyle thing isn't it?

*Sigh*

I am going by stereo type and saying he is type 2 like Tracy Morgan. I fear it was his lack of not caring for himself that may have caused his passing. Tracy Morgan is not far behind him. I hope the Kidney transplant was an awaking for him.

A mention was made of Patrice's passing on our local radio station ...announcer said : due to stroke , no mention about diabetes . Just thinking : I will sent a message to announcer's Facebook page ...Patrice was living with diabetes ...the stats show : 4 out of 5 PWD die of heart attack /stroke .

He was the headline comedian at the Charlie Sheen roast. The made fun of his diabetes during the show. Of course at a roast everything is in jest and anything goes..... But the stats are scary. I am just worried that Black folks dont take their diabetes seriously even when they have some kind of celebrity status. Tracy Morgan's health has been in jeopardy several times due to his diabetes and drug use!!!!!

Tick tick tick tick tick for all of us. Support the Faustman lab!

I think that it ticks faster if you don't take care of yourself? I wouldn't really say anything without reviewing his medical records but I feel sad when people can't, don't or won't take care of themselves.

I am greatly interested in knowing his lifestyle and health if they release it. I am sure we can probably assume his lifestyle wasn't healthy if he has a stroke. Most Black folk all ready have problems with heart disease and strokes so to couple it with diabetes doesn't help. I hope this is another wake up call for Tracy Morgan...

I don't see them doing that. Without a criminal angle, the stuff is HIPAA protected so it wouldn't be made available, barring the family deciding to publicize it which would, in turn, open them up to allegations of at least some sort of neglect/ culpability? Still, his genetic family would be @ risk and would probably benefit from reviewing whatever factors, if any, can be identified? I would certainly be wary of his endocrinologist. A few years ago when I was less into exercise, etc. I noted some 37 year olds w/ obituaries listing the JDRF/ ADA/ etc. "for donations..." which helped light a fire under my butt.

RIP Patrice O'Neal. I will remember your comedy, and hope you left this stage in peace.

as promised ...I added to announcer's FB page .

It bothers me to acidr; after all we only have one life to live !

Hippa has never stopped people from speculating and saying what happened to a person before they died. I read an article that he did with the diabetic forecast and he wasn't taking care of himself. He was real truthful about alot of situations but he was not taking care of himself. I don't if he had an Endo.