TZIELD approved as treatment for Type 1 to delay onset

# TZIELD™ (teplizumab-mzwv) approved by FDA as the first and only treatment indicated to delay the onset of Stage 3 type 1 diabetes (T1D) in adult and pediatric patients aged 8 years and older with Stage 2 T1D

I was surprised by this. I hadn’t heard about it before. I haven’t found a lot of info about it yet. But Drugs.com does have some side effects listed. So the question becomes is it worth it for a delay only?

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-drug-can-delay-onset-type-1-diabetes

TZIELD™ (teplizumab-mzwv) approved by FDA as the first and only treatment indicated to delay the onset of Stage 3 type 1 diabetes (T1D) in adult and pediatric patients aged 8 years and older with Stage 2 T1D | BioSpace.

1 Like

Having read about it on the site you offered, I would never consider it either for myself nor for a child. Besides, how many cases of child onset DM gave you any warning?

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how insurance companies will cover this treatment. The company making this drug has priced a 14 day round of treatment cost at 194 thousand dollars.

I can envision many if not most insurance companies refusing to pay this amount for a treatment that does not cure T1 and only delays its onset.

3 Likes

This is probably for families that have diabetes knowledge and/or the disease is in the family. Parents who have diabetes or have other children with it. The team at TCOYD has talked about this. Can’t remember where I heard about. Not sure if it was a video, podcast or conference. But it is out there.
This reminds me of the camp that people fell into on to the should you test your child to see if they had the genetic possibilities to have diabetes.
All of these are very personal decisions. No right or wrong.
For me, if I could give my child a few more years not having to deal with diabetes, I would probably say yes if the side effects were manageable. But again, this is very personal and what you personal feel.
This shows me clinical trials do work and can give us options.

2 Likes

You think this had something to do with covid?

$194,000.00 WOW!

  • I’d somehow figure out to pay if it cured DM.

But not just delay for a year or two.

1 Like

I suggested that both of my sons have their children tested and use the medication if any of them show positive antibodies. What would be the value of delaying T1 ? For me it would be a lot, even if it is only a little.